Post-Game Thread, Pre-season vs Olimpia Milano

Go down

Post-Game Thread, Pre-season vs Olimpia Milano Empty Post-Game Thread, Pre-season vs Olimpia Milano

Post by bobheckler on Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:22 pm

Oh, if only all of them were this easy.  They won't be, of course, but it was sheer joy to watch this one.

Olimpia Milano, also known as Emporio Armani Milano (after their sponsor) or EA7 (maybe the '7' refers to the cut of their jerseys, who knows?), played two games in the USA and flew back to Italy the day after we did on Saturday.  So, they might have been even more jet-lagged than us.  Regardless, we won every quarter.  We started the 3rd quarter giving up a 0-9 run, not scoring a point until more than 3 minutes had lapsed, and we still ended up winning the quarter 38-27.  38 points in just under 9 minutes.  Wow.  I don't think we want to go 3 minutes without scoring against an NBA team but that was one of the only things I saw that I can say "we better not do that during the season".

The only player who didn't take off his warmups was Evan Turner, who twisted a knee and was supposed to sit out anyway.

I saw us run a ton of pick-and-roll plays.  Smart ran a few beauties with Lee and Amir.  Pace and space and the spacing on our pnrs was just right, just enough to get the ball between the defenders to the roller.

1.  We shot 56% for the game, 38% from 3 and 62% from 2.  Oh yeah, gimme that all year and twice a week in the playoffs.

2.  Only 14 TOs.  15 players getting on the court, 6 brand new and one (Young) with minimal experience and we only had 14 TOs.  It's only going to get better as we gel more.

3.  We had 31 assists, 31!, on 46fgm for an assist-to-fgm percentage of 67%.  If we do that on a regular basis we are going to be hard to stop.  Hell, if we score 124 points in a regulation 48 minute game, while only giving up 91, we'll be damn near impossible to beat.  Giving up 91 points on 45% shooting is a fairly normal NBA stat, so it not like they couldn't throw the ball in the Adriatic.  Did we ever have 31 assists when Rondo was here?  I doubt it since he never had a 29 assist game.  12 out of 15 players had at least one assist with nobody having more than 6.  That was budding young point guard Marcus Smart who didn't have a single turnover to offset those 6 assists.  He also had 11 points on 4-5 shooting.  Between Amir and Lee Smart will make a nice living off of pnr assists.

4.  Battle on the Bubble - Perry Jones III played 7 minutes and had one or two good moments and at least two really ugly ones.  He had a nice jump shot and one hideous drive where he almost got to the rim but was so out of control his shot would have been on Sportcenter for a week if it went in.  He let one guy run by him on a drive.  He did chase down a loose ball and get the ball out to start a break and he grabbed 2 rebounds.  James Young had no good moments.  He had the ball on a 2-on-1 fast break, with Kelly in the middle, and then promptly forgot he had a 7'er in the paint and tried to take it in himself and earned himself a charging foul.  He also took a popout 3 ptr that missed.  The only thing that kept Young from getting goose eggs across the board was his 1 missed 3pt fga.  Neither looked that good at all, but at least PJ looks ridiculously long out there.  Young just looks lost.  Still.

5.  David Lee is going to fit in beautifully.  He hit an elbow jumper, he did pnrs and he rebounded.  An efficient 13 points on 5-8, 7 rebounds, 2 steals, 3 assists and 2 TOs in 21 minutes.  I'm just fine with that boxscore.  His 3 assists were quite nice.  He is a really, really good passer for a big, making some really nice ones today.  Remember how the ball would seem to get stuck last year at times?  I doubt it will happen as much this year with Lee on the team.

6.  I could hear Amir barking out defensive instructions all game.  I don't know if he fits the bill of a "center" but he could easily fit the bill of a defensive coordinator.  3 assists and zero TOs too.  That's unexpectedly nice.  Only 16 minutes but you knew he was out there when he was.  He is a defensive backbone and will make players like Sully and Kelly better.

7.  Rookie Roundup - We're all assuming, I think, that at least two of the rookies are going to be spending a lot of time in Maine, to keep their gametime rhythm.  As of today, the one that's going north is Rozier.  He looked nervous.  Ok, that's understandable and I am not reading much into it certainly, but the other two looked good.  Hunter made some very good defensive plays.  He was getting posted up and poked the ball away, he blocked a shot and got two steals by making some nice decisions on when to drop down and help with the double.  His passing game, which was on display in the summer league was packed and brought to Italy with him.  3 assists and 1 TO in 16 minutes.  He only shot 1-4, a corner 3, but his shooting is the last thing I'm looking at with him, I have NO doubt that will be there for him after the jitters shake out.  Didn't look like he had a lot of them today though.  The Mouse didn't roar on defense, in fact he got beat on a drive, but he made some noise on offense.  He hit an elbow jumper, posted a guy up and then drove to the rim for a layup.  7 points on 3-4 and 3 rebounds in only 7 minutes for Mickey will open up Brad's eyes.

8.  IT lived at the line for a while.  7-7 in 21 minutes.  He has the knack.  He ended up team high scorer, what a shocker huh?, with 18 points.  He was trying to be a facilitator more than a shooter but his 4 TOs undermined his 4 assists.  Still, he's trying and I'm ok with that.

9.  Kelly passed up an open shot.  He has to stop doing that.  He did, however, run the floor well and defend out at the perimeter well.  Threw a lovely backdoor lob dunk for Amir.  He really does have great court vision.  If he would keep the defense more honest and stop hesitating on his shots he could stay out at the high post for 30 minutes/game and feed Amir, Lee and Sully like pigs at a trough all game and we'd make a killing on layups, dunks and fritos.

10.  Jerebko didn't have a big stat line, but he was guarding the very tough 6'7" 227# SG Alessandro Gentile, whose draft rights is owned by the Rockets and it is rumored he will be coming over next year.  He was the game high scorer with 19 and he looked quite strong.

11.  I saw Jared Sullinger run a fast break.  I'm not kidding, I saw it with my own two eyes.  Sully had 14 points on 7-10 and just generally looked quicker.  I mean, c'mon, last year if Sully had finished a fast break he'd be hanging around bent over pulling his trunks down.  He's still big but he doesn't look fat.  All 4 of his rebounds were offensive as he cleaned up his plate at the only place he should be doing it, at the rim.

12.  EA7 had 21 TOs, which we converted into 29 points.  As a team we had 15 steals.  That supports what my eyes saw which is that, while some of their TOs were unforced, most of their turnovers were due to steals and forcing them into mistakes and losing the ball out of bounds off of double teams, which would not show up as a steal.  We rotated well, they did not have a lot of wide open shooters.

I thought we let them get to the middle more than we should have, but it's hard to argue with results and the results make Helen of Troy look coyote ugly.

Ever see a box score where 15 players play and every one has a positive +/-?  No?  Well, here ya go:

http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400832210

We had 22 fast break points.  We had 70 points in the paint.  I've seen NBA games where teams barely score 70 points total and we had that many in the paint.  Almost all of them came off pick-and-rolls and very few of them one-on-one post ups.

Next game is 2 days from now, on Thursday against Real Madrid.  They have 2 or 3 players that were on the Spanish National team that just won the Euro Championship last month.  This will be another interesting test.

I thought we would lose both of these games.  I didn't care if we lost, this is pre-season, but we were/are going up against some seasoned veteran teams who are pretty good.  We not only won our first pre-season game, we blowtorched them in a most impressive manner.

This year is going to be fun.

We had a nice turnout on the Game On thread, especially considering it is a pre-season game being televised in the middle of a workday.  I hope everybody enjoyed it.  What wasn't to enjoy, right?  Hallelujah brothers and sisters!  Celtic basketball is back and so far so good!

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post-Game Thread, Pre-season vs Olimpia Milano Empty Re: Post-Game Thread, Pre-season vs Olimpia Milano

Post by bobc33 on Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:06 pm

Just tuning in to the replay and looking forward to it! May be preseason but it is still great to watch.
bobc33
bobc33

Back to top Go down

Post-Game Thread, Pre-season vs Olimpia Milano Empty Re: Post-Game Thread, Pre-season vs Olimpia Milano

Post by bobheckler on Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:10 pm

bobc33 wrote:Just tuning in to the replay and looking forward to it!  May be preseason but it is still great to watch.

bob

you're gonna love this one!

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:18 pm

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/david-lee-makes-impressive-boston-celtics-debut

Stars, studs and duds: Lee makes impressive Celtics debut
October 6, 2015, 5:00 pm

Sherrod Blakely

Celtics roll over Olimpia Milano in preseason opener

Everything goes right for the Celtics as they cruise past Olimpia Milano, 124-91, in their preseason opener.

Wins don’t mean a lot when they come this time of year in the preseason. But the Boston Celtics have to feel good about the way they absolutely dominated Olimpia Milano on Tuesday.

The Celtics’ 124-91 victory was one in which Boston excelled in every phase of the game, which is surprising when you consider how little time these players have been with one another.

Here we take a look at some of the standouts for Boston which will return to the court and face Real Madrid on Thursday.

STARS

David Lee: He wasn’t the Celtics’ top scorer, but there was no way to not see the impact he makes in terms of his play and the play of others. He had 13 points and seven rebounds, in addition to three assists. The days of Lee getting 20 points and 10 rebounds may be in the rearview mirror now, but he still has plenty to offer the Celtics.

Jared Sullinger: He was the fifth big man to see action on Tuesday, a potential sign of his status in the rotation not being nearly as firm as many anticipate. But after Tuesday’s performance, Sullinger reminded us all of just how big an impact player he can be when given minutes. He had 14 points on 7-for-10 shooting while playing a mere 15 minutes. It remains to be seen if his minutes will gradually increase so that both Sullinger and the Celtics can get a better idea of where he’s really at conditioning-wise.

Marcus Smart: Evan Turner’s knee injury meant more time for Smart as the team’s primary playmaker, and, to his credit, he made the most of it. Smart had 11 points and a team-high six assists. Even more impressive was Smart’s six assists came without a single turnover being committed.

STUDS

Avery Bradley: It was good to see Bradley get back to taking more corner 3s, a shot he has shown the ability to make with a high level of consistency. He finished with 14 points, and hit all four of his 3-pointers.

Terry Rozier: Like Smart, he too benefited from no Evan Turner on Tuesday. Rozier had nine points and four rebounds in 17 minutes of action.

Isaiah Thomas: He showed a greater willingness to get others involved in practice, but Thomas got back to doing what he does best -- making shots -- on Tuesday. He led all Celtics scorers with 18 points along with four assists.

DUDS

James Young: He was one of the last players to get court time on Tuesday, which was not a good sign for a player who is looking to make a favorable impression. Unlike Sullinger, who saw action later than expected but still performed well, Young was a non-factor in the sparse minutes he was on the floor. There’s still a lot of preseason action left for him to get playing time, but zero points, two fouls and a turnover (he was whistled for an offensive foul) in less than nine minutes leaves plenty of room for improvement for Young going forward.

bob
MY NOTE: Obviously, I disagree with Blakely inre Rozier. Otherwise, not bad.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 on Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:41 pm

I like what I saw.  lee is going to make a big difference at the 5 hole.  He knows the game.  Like the ball movement a the great passing.

Should be fun!

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:05 pm

http://www.nba.com/celtics/game_recap/keys-2015100615-BOSMLN

Box Score Nuggets

Five Celtics scored in double-figures, led by Isaiah Thomas' 18 points.
   The Celtics committed only 14 turnovers.
   Thomas made all seven of his free throws.
   Milano shot just 8-if-16 from the free-throw line.
   David Lee led the Celtics with seven boards.
   Jared Sullinger came off the bench and scored 14 points in just 15-plus minues.
   The C's shot 56.1 percent from the field, 38.1 percent from 3-point range and 82.8 percent from the free-throw line.
   Boston scored at least 25 points during each of the four quarters.
   Alessandro Gentile scored a game-high 19 points on 9-of-20 shooting.
   The Celtics scored a whopping 70 points in the paint.
   Milano's one and only lead of the night was 2-0.
   Stanko Barac blocked three shots for Milano, matching Boston's team total.
   Thomas and Jae Crowder each recorded three steals.
   Avery Bradley made all four of his 3-pointers en route to 14 points.

bob
MY NOTE:  One guy blocked 3 shots, as many as we did total, and we blew their doors off.  And that says, to me, there's a lot more to the game than blocking/intimidating shots.  Drag the shot blocker away by swinging the ball or pnr or someone who can hit a long shot (e.g. Kelly, Sully, Lee) and then what is he worth?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:14 pm

Post-Game Thread, Pre-season vs Olimpia Milano Gettyimages-491555616_master

Post-Game Thread, Pre-season vs Olimpia Milano Gettyimages-491553674_master

Post-Game Thread, Pre-season vs Olimpia Milano Gettyimages-491553692_master

Post-Game Thread, Pre-season vs Olimpia Milano Gettyimages-491553700_master

Post-Game Thread, Pre-season vs Olimpia Milano Gettyimages-491555588_master

Post-Game Thread, Pre-season vs Olimpia Milano Gettyimages-491555598_master

Post-Game Thread, Pre-season vs Olimpia Milano Gettyimages-491555626_master

Post-Game Thread, Pre-season vs Olimpia Milano Gettyimages-491555674_master

Post-Game Thread, Pre-season vs Olimpia Milano Gettyimages-491555680_master

Post-Game Thread, Pre-season vs Olimpia Milano Gettyimages-491555688_master

Post-Game Thread, Pre-season vs Olimpia Milano Gettyimages-491555702_master

Post-Game Thread, Pre-season vs Olimpia Milano Gettyimages-491550510_master

Post-Game Thread, Pre-season vs Olimpia Milano Gettyimages-491564818_master

Post-Game Thread, Pre-season vs Olimpia Milano Gettyimages-491564830_master

Post-Game Thread, Pre-season vs Olimpia Milano Gettyimages-491564832_master

bob
MY NOTE:  I don't think I gave enough credit to Kelly in my post-game thoughts.  He played really good perimeter defense, which I mentioned and you can see some of in one of the pics above, but he also had a really slick move that completely faked his man out.  I think the first pic of him, blowing past a guy who reaching out with his right arm to try and maintain contact with him, is the one.  That's how badly he beat his guy, his guy was nowhere near in front of him after Kelly put the fake on him.  The guy was so far out of position after the fake he could barely reach Kelly.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 on Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:10 am

bobheckler wrote:http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/david-lee-makes-impressive-boston-celtics-debut

MY NOTE:  Obviously, I disagree with Blakely inre Rozier.  Otherwise, not bad.

Rozier did look a little nervous, but 9 pts, 4 rebounds, and one assist in 17 minutes in his first ever nba pre-season game? I'll take that...

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 on Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:16 am

He's good one. Could make Thomas trade bait next year.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:18 am

I was at work when the game came on but was checking out the box score throughout the game.  I recorded the game and couldn't wait to get home to watch it.

For the first pre-season game I was very impressed with the way the team played.  The continuity displayed last year is still there and looks to be even better.

Everyone had a contribution.  Of course I was most interested in how Lee and Johnson played.  Lee was very impressive and Johnson just seems to know where to be on the court.

Sully looks as big as ever but he seems to have more stamina getting up and down the court.

Bradley looked like a sniper

IT sparked the team off the bench and we never looked back

Smart does not look like a rookie anymore.  His decision making was on point.

Crowder looks more aggressive and is as tough as ever.

KO played ok

Jonas also made a real tough contested basket while driving from the right baseline

Young still looks like a rookie.  Jones did not have a chance to play much.

The other rookies saw limited action.  Hunter hit his first shot from the corner.  Rozier has a knack for making really difficult floaters.  Mickey acquitted himself nicely in very limited minutes.

I think that the first 4 or 5 games of pre-season will be dominated by the veterans on the team in terms of playing time.  Brad has so many combinations to try out.  He is trying to figure out what groupings work best together.  

We could see a different staring lineup on Thursday.  

I will say this... The Celtics may not have that one special player but man they have some very impressive depth.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 on Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:21 am

The depth chart is starting to fill out. This could be a great year.

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 on Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:37 am

not to be a "debbie downer"..but we need to remember the competition here.

we were playing the equivalate of a good D-league team.

we did well, but I wouldn't expect those types of games agains most NBA teams.

but yeah was fun to watch for sure!

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 on Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:49 am

KDP

Yes but I guess you have to start somewhere.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:51 am

kdp59 wrote:not to be a "debbie downer"..but we need to remember the competition here.

kdp59

You are right about that. The Celtics could have been beating up on a Junior high school team and I would still find things I like about how they played...lol

At least Brad has this in focus. He mentioned during the post game interview that Madird will be different because they have more size in the frontcourt.

Madrid is not playing an exhibition game... But we are. The Celtics have so many new options and combinations to consider so this should be a different game.

It is hard to believe that basketball is here again. Year # 55 for me being a Celtics fan.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by swish on Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:54 am

Spring training -- Preseason -- (When "hope springs eternal")

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde on Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:14 am

Blakely calling out James Young in the first exhibition game of the year (as the only "dud") and then even against a non-NBA team is pretty damaging.

Yes, it could be only "one game" for Young where he plays poorly, but if he cannot play well in a romp over a poor team, who is he going to play well against?

Ainge and Stevens have rightfully so 'building him up' (and, they will continue to do so to keep his trade value as high as possible), but at what point do they see enough of him to let him go?  They can use the money sent to them by OKC (deal for Jones) to "eat" this guy's salary for the year if they have to if they cannot trade him.

There may just not be enough time for James to ever make it in the NBA, but it certainly appears that there will not be time for him to make it as a Boston Celtic.  Three new rookies this year have already gone by him, a couple of vets have been brought in who will play while James watches and the potential of 3 to 4 possible first round draft picks next year who will likely be ahead of him as well if he is still around for the third year of his rookie contract.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:49 am

kdp59 wrote:not to be a "debbie downer"..but we need to remember the competition here.

kdp,

A good D-League team is still better than Summer League talent.

If we can totally squash a "good D-League team" then we should probably be able to beat most lower tier NBA teams. I'm ok with that considering we're barely a week into camp.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside on Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:25 pm

The offense looked pretty good. Nice ball movement. Pace and space working like it's supposed to.

I saw quite a few defensive lapses, many of which Milano failed to capitalize on. The defense is much more of a work in progress.

Milano is a good European team, but they aren't a true test. Still, beating them handily is better than losing, as the Nets did to the Turkish team Fenerbahce. Fenerbahce seems like a better team than Milano on paper considering they have four players with NBA experience -- Luigi Datome, Jan Vesely, Ekpe Udoh, and Pero Antic (who didn't play), plus Bogdan Bogdanovic, who was drafted by Phoenix in 2014. Real Madrid may provide a better test on Thursday.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:56 pm

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2015/10/david_lee_marcus_smart_boston.html#incart_river

By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com

on October 06, 2015 at 10:20 PM, updated October 07, 2015 at 10:50 AM

Preseason basketball can reveal lasting trends, but it can also serve as a misleading maze of lies. We shouldn't overreact to a lopsided victory against a non-NBA opponent, but it must mean something, right?

Below is one man's probably ill-fated attempt to sift through a preseason opener for a bit of truth.

1. During Tuesday's 124-91 win against Olimpia Milano, Boston Celtics head coach Brad Stevens declined a major overhaul of the starting lineup. He has stressed he expects to experiment with the rotation during preseason, so keep that in mind. But for one game, Isaiah Thomas stayed on the bench, where, like old times, he was surrounded by shooters to provide more space.

The first unit looked a bit like last season's with three returners (Marcus Smart, Avery Bradley and Tyler Zeller). A fourth, Evan Turner, sat out with a strained right knee. He was replaced by Jae Crowder.

If Stevens sticks with a similar look during the regular season, he will be hoping David Lee can jolt the starting lineup's offense – which was a disaster last year. All was good on that front Tuesday (as you can read about here). Smart advancing as a ball-handler would help, too. The second-year guard looked comfortable and in control while gathering 11 points (on 4-for-5 shooting) and six assists without a turnover.

2. The most glaring takeaway from the win: watching Stevens choose lineups on a nightly basis will be fascinating.

After coming off the bench in an intrasquad scrimmage last week, Jared Sullinger was Boston's fifth big man to enter the game. Though he scored inside and crashed the glass against significantly smaller opposition, he could be fighting for minutes. Lee and Zeller both started the preseason opener, Amir Johnson figures to play a big role, and Kelly Olynyk's presence typically lifts the offense – and all that doesn't even take into account the small-ball lineups that worked so well last season. Sullinger rebounds the basketball and flashes a high basketball IQ when he isn't firing threes, but needs to prove he deserves time that could go to several of his teammates. Stevens could potentially use five big men, but has said before that he prefers to utilize four.

Post-Game Thread, Pre-season vs Olimpia Milano 18917854-large
Boston Celtics' R.J. Hunter, right, grabs the ball as Olimpia Milano Charles Jenkins watches him, during their basketball match, part of the NBA global games, in Assago, near Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Oct. 6, 2015.
AP Photo/Antonio Calanni

3. With Turner (knee) out, R.J. Hunter saw action in both halves – a sign he may have already passed James Young in the pecking order. To anyone who watched summer league, that wouldn't be a huge surprise. Hunter shows more basketball intuition while still spacing the court. He hit one three Tuesday, created a few plays off the bounce, and used his long arms to rack up two steals and a nice block. Young didn't see the court until garbage time, but managed to botch a defensive assignment and pick up an avoidable offensive foul.

Boston's other first-round pick, Terry Rozier, scored nine points over 17 minutes but didn't always exercise proper caution on his journeys to the paint. Fellow rookie Jordan Mickey saw only garbage-time action, as did Perry Jones, whose roster spot could be in question.

4. After Stevens stressed a desire for the Celtics to decrease their reliance on midrange jumpers, they did exactly that in the first game. According to NBA.com, they tried just nine shots between 16 and 23 feet – a low number, which is good considering how inefficient tries from that range typically are. Notably, former long-two chucker Avery Bradley tried just a single midrange jumper compared to four 3-pointers. He went 4-for-4 from deep.

Against better defenses, Boston will find more trouble working for efficient shots. But against Olimpia Milano, the shot profile was strong en route to 56.1 percent shooting. The Celtics had 31 assists on 46 field goals.

5. I will let you go very shortly, I promise. But first, a reminder the preseason can be a wonderful world:

Marc D'Amico @Marc_DAmico
Robbie Hummel says at halftime, Milano players discussed the fact that the Celtics reminded them of the Spurs w/ the way they moved the ball
2:18 PM - 6 Oct 2015
 33 33 Retweets   59 59 favorites

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:55 pm

.gifs courtesy of redsarmy.com

Smart, with the hustle play, to Zeller for the easy 2.

Post-Game Thread, Pre-season vs Olimpia Milano 1

Kelly's alley oop to Amir. NOTE THE BACK PICK BY IT THAT FREED AMIR UP.  The smallest guy on the court doing the hard work.

Post-Game Thread, Pre-season vs Olimpia Milano 2

Sully, running the floor on the fast break.  Yes, I really did see that.  Smart with the heads up assist.

Post-Game Thread, Pre-season vs Olimpia Milano 3

Lee, already down court, goes baseline for the easy flush on a break.  How'd he get down there so fast?

Post-Game Thread, Pre-season vs Olimpia Milano 5

Smart, with another perfect pick and roll play to Zeller.  More please!

Post-Game Thread, Pre-season vs Olimpia Milano 6

Here's the same play from the backboard cam.  This is the space part of "pace and space"

Post-Game Thread, Pre-season vs Olimpia Milano 7

Quick outlet to IT who passes it without putting it on the floor to the streaking 7' Kelly.  Textbook fastbreak.  The ball moves faster when it is being passed than when it is being dribbled.

Post-Game Thread, Pre-season vs Olimpia Milano 8

Smart with another pick and roll, this one with Jordan Mickey.  Smart was killing them with pnrs all night long.  The most fundamental play in basketball, along with the give-and-go, and we didn't do it nearly enough last year.

Post-Game Thread, Pre-season vs Olimpia Milano 9

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down