Tyler Zeller Eligible To Be Traded Sunday

+5
dboss
kdp59
wideclyde
bobheckler
9 posters

Go down

Tyler Zeller Eligible To Be Traded Sunday Empty Tyler Zeller Eligible To Be Traded Sunday

Post by bobheckler Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:18 am

According to salary cap guru Larry Coons, Tyler Zeller's contract is eligible to be traded on 1/15/17.  

He is an $8M expiring contract.  That is attractive to teams looking to do a salary dump/adjustment.  He is also a 7'er.  Sure, he's soft as brie, but he is definitely an NBA big.

Rookies can be signed to 2017-2018 contracts on 2/1/17.  That means Zizic and Yabusele could be signed for next year then.

All Star Weekend is 2/17 - 2/19.  The Trade Deadline is 2/23/17.

Put this all together and you have a player with a young replacement who is frothing at the mouth to come to Boston, with an expiring contract, who is still in his physical prime (26) and a GM whose nickname is "Trader Danny" who has a well-documented track record of making deals by the deadline.  $8M is a big enough contract to make a serious dent in any deal for a star with a star's contract.  Amir's $12M is an even bigger dent, and his contract is expiring too.  Personally, I don't care which one is traded, if we get quality in return, because they will both be gone next year anyway.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Tyler Zeller Eligible To Be Traded Sunday Empty Re: Tyler Zeller Eligible To Be Traded Sunday

Post by wideclyde Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:59 pm

If Ainge gets the opportunity to get the Cs a rebounding solution for this year without having to give up the Nets pick in June, I could see Zeller getting traded.

He has been a true pro (no complaining about playing time, etc), but has about maximized his potential. Also, seems to be a good teammate and always plays hard with solid focus, but although he can score on some nights he has not been even a small part of the team's rebounding solution to date.

Getting traded also may not be the worst thing for Zeller. Perhaps he gets a better look and more minutes on a new team?

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Tyler Zeller Eligible To Be Traded Sunday Empty Re: Tyler Zeller Eligible To Be Traded Sunday

Post by 112288 Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:49 pm

I hope we have a prepaid ticket for his departure! A waste of $8M. Thought he would progress but he stalled after his first year with Celtics.

Sooner the better.

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:24 pm

112288 wrote:I hope we have a prepaid ticket for his departure!   A waste of $8M.  Thought he would progress but he stalled after his first year with Celtics.

Sooner the better.

maybe he is simply playing up to his potential, everyone isn't an all star. Like Bob said, I have no complaints with Zeller. He always seems to give good effort and I've never heard anything about him complaining about playing time.

The NBA is filled with players who feel entitled and complain it seems, Zeller doesn't seem to be one and to me that's worth a lot.

IF his non-guaranteed deal next year helps us get a better player, that's great I am all for it. But I see no reason to degrade a player who works hard. I save that for guys who don't myself.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:31 pm

KDP

Lot of guys in the NBA like Zeller.............unfortunately they suck and are not winners.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:14 am

I thought his contract was for 2 years with a team option next year.

I am of the opinion that Zeller has not been given a fair opportunity to play.  So if he is not in their plans they may move him now.  However I am not wanting to see a lateral move.  

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:57 pm

dboss wrote:I thought his contract was for 2 years with a team option next year.

I am of the opinion that Zeller has not been given a fair opportunity to play.  So if he is not in their plans they may move him now.  However I am not wanting to see a lateral move.  

Dboss

dboss,

According to Hoopshype, Zeller's contract was for 2 years, at $8M/year, with NO options. So he has another year after this.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:47 pm

Aren't they all "eligible" to be traded as long as there is no, no trade clause in their contracts?

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:54 pm

zeller is in year uno of a dos year contract with only the first year guaranteed.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/tyler-zeller-10825/
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:47 pm

He has a very tradeable contract.  The Team that would trade for him would be getting a player with a non-guaranteed contract and a player with a $8 million salary for just one more year.

He is the only true center on the team.   Given the need for more size, why do you (the board) think he ha not been playing.  Is it because he does not stretch the floor far enough out?  Is it because he is not a good defender at any level?  Is it related to his rebounding abilities?  

The spread the floor, 3 point shooting, High Pick and Roll/Pop offense anchored by our go to guy should have some room for a 7 foot guy that is effective in the Pick and Roll option.  Zeller is not effective in those sets when he is too far out but in those areas where he gets the ball and has options for the elbow jumpers and inside the top of the key, he can be effective.  When you do not play a guy like that game after game you cannot expect any productive cameo appearances.  The other thing that we may forget about Zeller is that he can score in the post and is surprising adept at scoring with his left hand.  His size in the post is also of benefit to the team on the defensive end.

My final point is about the $$$

Why tie up $8 million on a roaster spot for a positional need and fail to manage that investment?  

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:28 pm

Zeller's a nice guy, too bad he can't play near well enough at this level, sooner we get Zizic and Yabu in camp and start developing them, the better.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:46 am

Given the need for more size, why do you (the board) think he ha not been playing?

answer: Horford and Kelly are better.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:34 am

He has the coordinated physical skills to be good, but he lacks the animal instincts to be aggressive in the paint to be either an effective rebounder, shot blocker.  If he gave the Celtics those two things, he would help the Celtics in a big way.

But he is not, which is why his playing time has been cut to nothing.

KDP made a good point above.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:08 pm

Jared Sullinger had some issues but he was our best rebounder.  The Celtics decided to let him walk.  He signed a contract with The Raptors with 2 years guaranteed at under $3 Mill per.

For that type of money I would have kept him instead of Zeller.

Did DA error by letting JS  go and resigning Zeller who is not part of the rotation?  Given our obvious rebounding deficiencies it would appear to be the case.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:56 pm

dboss wrote:Jared Sullinger had some issues but he was our best rebounder.  The Celtics decided to let him walk.  He signed a contract with The Raptors with 2 years guaranteed at under $3 Mill per.

For that type of money I would have kept him instead of Zeller.

Did DA error by letting JS  go and resigning Zeller who is not part of the rotation?  Given our obvious rebounding deficiencies it would appear to be the case.

Dboss

Sullinger signed a 1 year $5.628m contract with Toronto.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:27 pm

Sully had attitude problems that is why Danny did not sign him.

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:19 am

and he has yet to play this year at all
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:50 am

kdp59 wrote:and he has yet to play this year at all

kdp,

Sullinger played his first game Wednesday night.
He had 8 and 3 rebs in 14 minutes.
He looked pretty healthy and relatively athletic.
He could be a big help for Toronto.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:53 am

I didn't know he was back now. good for him

I sure hope he throws up some of those horrendous three pointers at the worst time when we play Toronto in the playoffs!!

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down