dbrown4
cowens/oldschool
20 posters

Page 20 of 22 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Go down

This and that - Page 20 Empty Re: This and that

Post by tjmakz Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:59 pm

bobheckler wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:DeAngelo Russell going off for 44 points and 12 assists in leading Nets to victory over Kings....great move Magic building up the Nets.

cow,

And don't forget about Julius Randle dropping 45 on Portland Friday and 30 points on Dallas on Monday.  Zubac is also doing a good job for Doc in Clippahland.  I still do not understand the why of that trade.  I understand the Russell trade and I understand letting Randle go, sometimes tough decisions have to be made and they don't always work out, but Zubac?  Magic gave up Zubac AND Michael Beasley.  They got Mike Muscala, ok, but they gave up an inside force and rebounds and a prolific scorer, for a scorer.  The Beas is a Gerald Green type of player, a real McBuckets player.  You don't need to feed him regular minutes or anything like that, he's a "break glass in case of emergency" player like Green was for Brad in the Chicago playoff series last year, and he's cheap at $3.5M!

bob

Bob,

The Lakers liked Julius Randle and did not want to see him go.
But, they were not going to commit to multiple years for him and tie up cap space this summer.
Plus, Julius is a lane clogger on offense.
The Lakers needed/need shooters around Lebron to be successful.
Part of their failure this year is because of a lack of shooters.
Randle would not have moved the needle much for the Lakers this year.

As for Zubac, I didn't want to see him go, but he, McGee and Chandler all have similar skills and the Lakers wanted another shooter who can play the 4 or 5.
Muscala and Bullock were two players the Lakers acquired before the trade deadline.
Muscala has not worked out as the Lakers had hoped.
I also think the Lakers are much higher on Mo Wagner and would probably not matched an offer this summer for Zubac who will be a restricted free agent.
Beasley is done as an NBA player. He was waived by the Clippers and not picked up by another NBA team.

Everyone for years on this website torched D'Angelo Russell as a terrible player and a bust.
I agreed and was very happy they traded him.
He is still a slow and terribly lazy defender.
The difference is now he has periods where he gets extremely hot.
He still has plenty of terrible shooting games that nobody mentions.
This month he has had games where he has shot 9-24, 6-23, 5-13, 6-18 and 8-25.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:23 pm

Averaging out the year - still a respectable year when compared to his peers.

http://bkref.com/tiny/qXdVr
swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:47 pm

tjmakz wrote:
bobheckler wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:DeAngelo Russell going off for 44 points and 12 assists in leading Nets to victory over Kings....great move Magic building up the Nets.

cow,

And don't forget about Julius Randle dropping 45 on Portland Friday and 30 points on Dallas on Monday.  Zubac is also doing a good job for Doc in Clippahland.  I still do not understand the why of that trade.  I understand the Russell trade and I understand letting Randle go, sometimes tough decisions have to be made and they don't always work out, but Zubac?  Magic gave up Zubac AND Michael Beasley.  They got Mike Muscala, ok, but they gave up an inside force and rebounds and a prolific scorer, for a scorer.  The Beas is a Gerald Green type of player, a real McBuckets player.  You don't need to feed him regular minutes or anything like that, he's a "break glass in case of emergency" player like Green was for Brad in the Chicago playoff series last year, and he's cheap at $3.5M!

bob

Bob,

The Lakers liked Julius Randle and did not want to see him go.
But, they were not going to commit to multiple years for him and tie up cap space this summer.
Plus, Julius is a lane clogger on offense.
The Lakers needed/need shooters around Lebron to be successful.
Part of their failure this year is because of a lack of shooters.
Randle would not have moved the needle much for the Lakers this year.

As for Zubac, I didn't want to see him go, but he, McGee and Chandler all have similar skills and the Lakers wanted another shooter who can play the 4 or 5.
Muscala and Bullock were two players the Lakers acquired before the trade deadline.
Muscala has not worked out as the Lakers had hoped.
I also think the Lakers are much higher on Mo Wagner and would probably not matched an offer this summer for Zubac who will be a restricted free agent.
Beasley is done as an NBA player. He was waived by the Clippers and not picked up by another NBA team.

Everyone for years on this website torched D'Angelo Russell as a terrible player and a bust.
I agreed and was very happy they traded him.
He is still a slow and terribly lazy defender.
The difference is now he has periods where he gets extremely hot.
He still has plenty of terrible shooting games that nobody mentions.
This month he has had games where he has shot 9-24, 6-23, 5-13, 6-18 and 8-25.

TJ,

Thanks for explaining that.  I didn't understand wtf Magic and Pelinka were doing.  Makes more sense now.

For what it's worth I thought Randle's lack of outside shooting really limited him too.  This year he is shooting 33.7% from 3 and taking 2.6/game.  33.7% is a big improvement over the 28% he had been in his career and 2.6 per game is A Lot more.  Nice to see I can still be wrong once in a while. Very Happy
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:47 am

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2827632-video-watch-hornets-jeremy-lamb-drill-half-court-game-winner-vs-raptors?tm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:47 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/jusuf-nurkic-suffered-gruesome-leg-injury-stretchered-off-floor-against-brooklyn-nets-portland-trail-blazers-050350046.html

Trail Blazers center Jusuf Nurkic suffers gruesome, season-ending leg injury against Nets

Yahoo Sports  Ryan Young,Yahoo Sports 12 hours ago

This and that - Page 20 5c99bf8f1f000050007ef35c
Portland Trail Blazers center Jusuf Nurkic, on ground, was injured and left the court on a stretcher as the Blazers beat the Brooklyn Nets in double overtime, 148-144, during an NBA basketball game in Portland, Ore., Monday, March 25, 2019. (AP Photo/Randy L. Rasmussen)

Portland Trail Blazers center Jusuf Nurkic went down with a gruesome, season-ending leg injury on Monday night in the second overtime of their matchup against the Brooklyn Nets at the Moda Center, and had to be stretchered off the floor.

With the Trail Blazers up two points and less than three minutes to go in the second overtime, Nurkic went to grab a rebound after a Maurice Harkless miss. Nurkic caught the ball and attempted to tip it back into the hoop. He missed the shot, and as he came down, his left leg snapped and collapsed as he fell to the floor.

WARNING: This video is graphic.

Play was instantly stopped and a towel was quickly placed over his leg, covering it from view while he lay in pain for several minutes. Nurkic’s leg was then placed in an air cast before he was stretchered off the floor.

Yahoo Sports’ Chris Haynes offered the update everyone feared but nonetheless expected later in the night:

Chris Haynes
✔️
@ChrisBHaynes
Portland center Jusuf Nurkic suffered a compound fracture to his left leg and will require surgery, costing him the remainder of the season.

12:18 AM - Mar 26, 2019

Nurkic left the game with a season-high 32 points and 16 rebounds, having shot 13 of 24 from the field. The Blazers held on to beat the Nets 148-144 in the second overtime.

After the game, Portland coach Terry Stotts said that Nurkic went directly to the hospital. He called the injury “devastating,” and revealed that the team held a moment of silence and said a collective prayer in the locker room, which he described as “quiet.”

Nurkic led the Blazers with his 32 points, followed closely by Damian Lillard, who finished with 31 points and 12 assists. Seth Curry added 20 points off the bench, and Rodney Hood finished with 18 points.

D’Angelo Russell led all scorers with 39 points for the Nets, shooting 16-of-34 from the field. Spencer Dinwiddie finished with 22 points off the bench, and DeMarre Carroll added 18 points.

“It made me sick to my stomach,” Lillard said, via Joe Freeman of The Oregonian. “I was playing at the game in Vegas when a similar thing happened to Paul George. That’s exactly what it looked like to me when I saw it.

“You never want to see that happen to anybody, let alone your friend and teammate.”

League-wide support on social media

Almost instantly, players from around the league took to social media to wish Nurkic well after the horrific injury.

bob
MY NOTE:  AWFUL!!!  Good luck on your rehab, Nurk.  Come back stronger than ever.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:59 pm

Luka with yet another triple double, but Fox and the Kings made a nice comeback and got the W.

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:17 am

Clippers have a record of 45-30, who would have thought they would have a better record than us this year? Doc should get CoY

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:28 am

For those of you who missed this, Lance Stephenson turned our old friend (using the term very loosely) Jeff Green into a meme for the ages.

But watch how the Laker bench reacted to it.  They are having a horrible year, they are officially eliminated from the playoffs, but they can still have fun.  I wish our bench responded like this when one of our guys does something amazing.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:40 pm

Pop got ejected last night and had to be restrained from physically going after the ref.

Check out the video.  Roughly 7-8 seconds into it the Spurs take a corner 3 and the defender jumps on a Spurs back trying to block it.  Knocked all 3 of them down.  The ref, Tyler Ford #39, called an OFFENSIVE foul. Ford is in his 4th year as an NBA ref.

Unbelievable.  I know he probably saw the Spur drifting in front of the King and that was what he called, but that was SO egregious and dangerous.  And then he tossed Pop on a later play.  In San Antonio.

This happened in the 3rd quarter, so the league won't be addressing this in their L2M report, which is just another reason why that report is stupid.  This was a HUGE play.  It took 3 points away from the Spurs (the shot went in) and then he tosses the head coach.

NBA refs are the worst.  Of all the sports, they are the worst.  I love our Celtics but they make it hard for me to want to watch any other games.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:33 pm

The NBA has got to get their act together with regard to referee's. There are so many incompetent ref's out there. There is alot of bitching about this from every team so it is not a moot point. Somehow they have to train these guys better, they have to learn what defense is, and what is an offensive and defensive foul. I know that we have seen alot of this here in Boston..aggressive players make great defensive moves and before you know it our top defensive players are out of the game.

There are definitely times when our players take a "chance" and get caught, but how many times have Smart and Horford gotten called for phantom fouls, even Gordon lately has been penalized for ridiculous calls.

This is a fast game, these guys have to learn to keep up with what is going on instead of guessing. Those reports from the league for the final two minutes of a game are useless. Big deal they tell you that this ref and that ref missed a call, called it wrong, offensive foul made, defensive foul made. Stupid
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:44 pm

It's a little late this season, but I'd like to see Brad Stevens get kicked out of a game.  I would like to see some fire out of him when there is an extremely bad call against the Celtics.  

It would be close to impossible to top that call against the Spurs, but in today's league, you wouldn't have to look too hard.  Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:46 pm

bobheckler wrote:Pop got ejected last night and had to be restrained from physically going after the ref.

Check out the video.  Roughly 7-8 seconds into it the Spurs take a corner 3 and the defender jumps on a Spurs back trying to block it.  Knocked all 3 of them down.  The ref, Tyler Ford #39, called an OFFENSIVE foul.  Ford is in his 4th year as an NBA ref.

Unbelievable.  I know he probably saw the Spur drifting in front of the King and that was what he called, but that was SO egregious and dangerous.  And then he tossed Pop on a later play.  In San Antonio.

This happened in the 3rd quarter, so the league won't be addressing this in their L2M report, which is just another reason why that report is stupid.  This was a HUGE play.  It took 3 points away from the Spurs (the shot went in) and then he tosses the head coach.

NBA refs are the worst.  Of all the sports, they are the worst.  I love our Celtics but they make it hard for me to want to watch any other games.

bob

This was a close play but after watching it several times I can see why it was called an offensive foul.
The defender already started his jump when White (Spurs player) accidentally stepped in front of him.
Unless the offensive player was stationary setting a screen, the Spurs player should have been called for the foul.
But the timing is very close.

It is really hard to compare NBA refs to any other sport.
Baseball has few close calls other than ball/strike.
Football has it's own referee issues and they have the benefit of having all scoring calls automatically reviewed.
Basketball is a really hard sport to referee.
Being an NBA referee is not an easy job.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by BingBang! Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:41 pm

That almost looked like a Globetrotters play where the Trotter climbs a sturdy Washington General blocks the shot and gets down. Weird play. I think the ref on the block that went off the offensive player was himself blocked by another player from seeing who the ball went off. Pop popped. NBA reffing in general is bad. The NCAA tournament reffing has been so much better in the few games I've caught and yes the pace is slower but not that much. Even more so, when the refs were striking a few years back the replacement refs were much better just calling a straight game. The whole idea of putting stars to the line should tell you all you need to know.
BingBang!
BingBang!

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:40 pm

Just a few thoughts by me - By far the toughest officiating job in all sports - a sport that over the years has seen a huge increase in the speed, size and mobility of the players - all the while there has been a steady decline in the number of fouls called and foul shots attempts in a game. The days of 70 plus free throws attempts per game disappeared back in the 60's. Much greater physicality is now allowed in basketball - a facet of the game that permits a lot of contact that was once whistled is now legal. It appears that the Powers To Be over the last 50 or so years have structured the game in such a fashion as to down play the role of free throws - as free throw attempts per game in 2017-18 was 43.4 while in 1957-58 it was 76.6.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:55 pm

swish wrote:By far the toughest officiating job in all sports

swish

Agreed.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:52 pm

Agreed NBA officiating is extremely difficult.  There are times in every game when you have to make the call based on what probably happened, not what actually did.  

For instance a player goes to the hoop, gets his shot blocked cleanly, and the force of the block sends the offensive player backwards and he hits the deck.  Often it is tough to see if there was any body contact and nine out of them times there is.  The one time there isn’t, the ref still calls a foul even though he or she didn’t clearly see the full play and gets it wrong.  However if refs only called what they saw for certain, they would frequently not call a foul and would be wrong many more times than one out of ten.

A business as big as the NBA I’m sure puts a ton of thought into recruitment, training and evaluations of the entire officiating effort.  To expect them to approach 100% correct calls I believe is unrealistic.

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:40 pm

Styles make fights. We match up against GS so much better than Denver Nuggets, whom have a great record, but can’t defend for shit!! Who on that team defends? Millsap no Jokic no Barton no Muarry no Harris no, they have some serious weak defense, amazing they have gotten this far, it’s gotta be all cause of their modern offense, but they are getting exposed tonite.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by BingBang! Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:47 am

swish wrote:Just a few thoughts by me - By far the toughest officiating job in all sports - a sport that over the years has seen a huge increase in the speed, size and mobility of the players - all the while there has been a steady decline in the number of fouls called and foul shots attempts in a game. The days of 70 plus free throws attempts per game disappeared back in the 60's. Much greater physicality is now allowed in basketball - a facet of the game that permits a lot of contact that was once whistled is now legal. It appears that the Powers To Be over the last 50 or so years have structured the game in such a fashion as to down play the role of free throws - as free throw attempts per game in 2017-18 was 43.4 while in 1957-58 it was 76.6.

swish
They also eliminated the number of free throws taken through a series of rules changes. Back court violations used to result in 2 foul shots; all forms of bonus foul shots were eliminated in 1982 (3 to make 2 or 2 to make 1); the penalty free throw after six team fouls was eliminated in the early 70s.
BingBang!
BingBang!

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:12 am

BingBang! wrote:
swish wrote:Just a few thoughts by me - By far the toughest officiating job in all sports - a sport that over the years has seen a huge increase in the speed, size and mobility of the players - all the while there has been a steady decline in the number of fouls called and foul shots attempts in a game. The days of 70 plus free throws attempts per game disappeared back in the 60's. Much greater physicality is now allowed in basketball - a facet of the game that permits a lot of contact that was once whistled is now legal. It appears that the Powers To Be over the last 50 or so years have structured the game in such a fashion as to down play the role of free throws - as free throw attempts per game in 2017-18 was 43.4 while in 1957-58 it was 76.6.

swish
They also eliminated the number of free throws taken through a series of rules changes. Back court violations used to result in 2 foul shots; all forms of bonus foul shots were eliminated in 1982 (3 to make 2 or 2 to make 1); the penalty free throw after six team fouls was eliminated in the early 70s.

BingBang

Not too many basketball fans are aware of those early years rules changes that you listed - so I assume that you have been around the game for many years.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:27 am

NYCelt wrote:

swish

Agreed.

I have to disagree, have you ever attended a pro wrestling event? I've seen the ref get knocked out cold twice in a single night! Those poor SOBs prolly get a concussion on a weekly basis.

Then there womens beach volley ball where the refs actually have to focus on the GAME!

as for what happened with Pops, the nba ought to have a rule where if a ref disagrees with Pop, the ref can be tossed from The game.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:38 am

Matty wrote:
NYCelt wrote:

swish

Agreed.

I have to disagree, have you ever attended a pro wrestling event? I've seen the ref get knocked out cold twice in a single night! Those poor SOBs prolly get a concussion on a weekly basis.  

Then there womens beach volley ball where the refs actually have to focus on the GAME!

as for what happened  with Pops, the nba ought to have a rule where if a ref disagrees  with Pop, the ref can be tossed from The game.

Matty

I consider wrestling to be more theater than sport

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:41 am

Matty,

I went to a women's pro beach volleyball tourney down in Ft Lauderdale a couple of years ago. It took me a while to notice there even were refs. Also took a while to figure out the score, the fact that it had started to rain, the time of day, where I was...

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by BingBang! Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:11 pm

swish wrote:
BingBang! wrote:

swish

BingBang

Not too many basketball fans are aware of those early years rules changes that you listed - so I assume that  you have been around the game for many years.

swish
Distant memories from going to the old Garden in my early teens in the 70s. I had to look up the exact time line using the NBAs website and an archived NY Times article as my sources.
BingBang!
BingBang!

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:31 pm

Lakers supposedly reneged on their promise not to cut Bogut: "This does not reflect well on the Lakers, even if it comes from someone who has previously entertained problematic conspiracy theories. The front office has found it difficult to deal with opponents who have accused them of tampering with their star players in recent years, and word travels fast around the league when teams allegedly do not play it straight financially with free agents."
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/warriors-center-andrew-bogut-accuses-lakers-of-lying-to-him-about-his-contract-195506100.html

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:53 pm

steve3344 wrote:Lakers supposedly reneged on their promise not to cut Bogut: "This does not reflect well on the Lakers, even if it comes from someone who has previously entertained problematic conspiracy theories. The front office has found it difficult to deal with opponents who have accused them of tampering with their star players in recent years, and word travels fast around the league when teams allegedly do not play it straight financially with free agents."                                  
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/warriors-center-andrew-bogut-accuses-lakers-of-lying-to-him-about-his-contract-195506100.html

In the story the Lakers pushed back on this and said they did not guarantee Bogut would stay the whole year.
They said they would have guaranteed his contract if that was their intention.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 22 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum