dboss
KyleCleric
bobheckler
11 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Celtics Pre-Season Thread Empty Celtics Pre-Season Thread

Post by bobheckler Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:39 am

MY NOTE:  Now that we have a specific opening night date formally confirmed it makes sense to me that we separate the "league news" (e.g. when camp starts, when pre-season games are scheduled and free agency starts, etc) from Celtic team specific posts related to players who are on the roster under contract or who have a legit shot at making the team because they were on the roster last year (e.g. Javonte Green) or were two-way players hoping for an upgrade in status (i.e. Tremont Waters and Tacko Fall).

Our usual "news from around the league" thread will be created soon.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisgrenham/2020/11/11/tremont-waters-is-working-tirelessly-to-earn-a-spot-with-the-boston-celtics/?sh=60f905ad5c2e

Tremont Waters Is Working Tirelessly To Earn A Spot With The Boston Celtics

Chris Grenham
Contributor
SportsMoney

Celtics Pre-Season Thread 960x0
Tremont Waters goes through a workout in Miami, FL on November 7, 2020. CHRIS COSTELLO/@SLOWMOTION00

Tremont Waters played just 11 games with the Boston Celtics during his rookie campaign, but the LSU product dominated in 36 appearances with the Maine Red Claws, winning G League Rookie of the Year. After finding success as a two-way player, Waters is doing everything in his power to take the next step.

Now in Miami, Waters is working with Haseeb Fasihi on a regimented schedule ahead of next season’s rapidly-approaching training camp. Fasihi is the assistant strength coach for the Orlando Magic and the head of strength and conditioning and player development for their G League affiliate, the Lakeland Magic. Fasihi, who works independently with clients in the offseason, has a tremendous track record with G Leaguers on the cusp of getting to the next level, and Waters is perfectly suited for his approach.

Waters has gotten into an impressive, diligent routine in Miami. The 5-foot-10 point guard works out with Fasihi at least twice a day, has cryotherapy sessions three times a week, a massage therapist twice a week and has put an emphasis on improving his diet. The pair tries to do three-a-days (three workouts per day) at least three times a week, but Fasihi makes sure the sessions are never too strenuous.

“On an average day, we get two workouts in,” Fasihi said. “We try to go early morning with a lot of mobility and stability exercises on the court before we do anything focusing on game situations. And then at night, we try to do some type of high-volume shooting, stationary or on-the-move. We try to go three-a-day at least three times a week. The on-court load is never anything too strenuous. The nighttime sessions are never too crazy. We do a lot of stationary shooting and usually work a lot on mechanics.”

Most days consist of Waters waking up at 5:00 or 6:00 am for a workout, which is followed by more training sessions later in the day. On a normal Tuesday, for example, Waters goes through a strength and conditioning workout at 6:00 am with Minnesota Timberwolves guard D'Angelo Russell. Later in the day, he’ll go through on-court work with Fasihi, and in between, there are other physical wellness to-dos such as cryotherapy and constant sessions at Core Fitness Miami with trainer Andy Luaces.

“I’m just trying to get better. I’m not big into looking left and right,” Waters said. “One of my friends posted something on Instagram and I commented back, I’m not a huge fan of looking left and right when I have my own steering wheel. I’m just staying in my lane. I can’t control what someone else does. All I can control is what I do, how I approach my life and how I want to get better at everything that I do.”

Celtics Pre-Season Thread 960x0.
Tremont Waters goes through a workout in Miami, FL. on November 7, 2020. CHRIS COSTELLO/SLOWMOTION00

Coming off of a solid rookie season, some players might get complacent, but Waters has gone in the opposite direction. Both Fasihi and Waters are spiritually-minded individuals, which helped them connect right away. Waters’ faith plays a big role in everything he does, and Fasihi was immediately able to relate. The personable aspect of Fasihi’s approach is something Waters has taken a liking to, especially after finding a connection with player development coach Nick Friedman during his successful pre-draft process in the spring of 2019.

“I usually like to work out with guys who believe in something and believe in God, first and foremost. You have to believe in something, and God is a great start for me,” Waters said. “When I figured that out with (Haseeb), it was kind of a no-brainer. I worked out with Nick Friedman last year and they’re similar in their personality – they just want to see you do well. Being able to work with humble guys like Nick and Haseeb is a great opportunity for me both as a person and a basketball player.”

It’s no secret that Waters boasts a sky-high basketball IQ, something that ties nicely with his unique and cerebral approach to the game. Fasihi picked up on this and was able to use it, in addition to their faith, to create distinctive workouts that help motivate the pair. Waters has the talent to play at the next level, and now he’s finding ways to channel that energy into improvements on the floor.

“Whenever I finish working out, I usually make seven free throws in a row because that’s God’s number,” Waters said. “We also throw in eight, because if you turn an eight sideways, it’s like the infinity symbol. So yeah, we talk about that sort of thing. It’s just a different way to look at and approach the game and have fun with it. Our beliefs are something that we try to incorporate into the workouts, not just for fun, but also because we believe in something. It definitely helps us stay on track, stay focused and get better.”

Fasihi knows the importance of faith, especially after suffering a loss. Waters’ father tragically died 16 months ago, which adds further importance to the spiritual elements at play. Waters’ tremendous sense of faith allows him to approach the game and life from a unique and sincere perspective, something that both Fasihi and Friedman commend.

“He’s very spiritually-minded. It’s not just about being a basketball player on the court. It’s also about the cerebral part of the game.” Fasihi said. “The number seven sticks out to Tremont a lot. Some of the workouts I have, we tailor to the number seven so it reminds him of his faith and his father, and he pushes a little bit more than he might normally. So the whole spiritual and cerebral part of the game gets a lot of focus with us and it’s really working out well. I’m learning a lot from him too. He’s a special kid.”

Celtics Pre-Season Thread 960x0
Tremont Waters goes through a workout in Miami, FL on November 7, 2020. CHRIS COSTELLO/@SLOWMOTION00

“He’s somebody I have an immense level of respect for, especially after what he’s gone through over the last year or so with the passing of his father,” Friedman said. “Dealing with that adversity that, in a lot of ways is unimaginable, and performing at such a high level — he’s always had such an incredibly-worldly view of the process. You know, putting the game in perspective and seeing how the values of what you learn playing can translate to your own life. He’s really wise beyond his years. I’ve learned an incredible amount from him about perseverance and staying true to yourself and being genuine.”

On the court, Waters’ high IQ and undeniable talent helps him make up for his lack of size, something he utilized this season with the Maine Red Claws, Boston’s G League affiliate. If he can continue to improve his conceptual understanding of relevant in-game situations, his long-term outlook at the NBA level will look even brighter. Yes, he’s 5-foot-10, but the combination of his skill and IQ can make up for that by helping him be a full step ahead of his opponents.

“The thing about Tremont is, he’s just so naturally skillful,” Friedman said. “Obviously that natural skill has come from the hours he’s put in, but for me, it wasn’t really about developing skill. It was more him developing an understanding of the situations he was going to see. Understanding how you have to attack those situations to be successful.”

Both Friedman and Fasihi know how successful Waters can be if the conceptual side of his game continues to develop, especially with his confidence and skill set in mind.

“He’s really just as skillful as they come,” Friedman said. “And then off of that, just continuing to develop a familiarity with the NBA game and keeping that confidence high. He’s got such an immense level of confidence that it really translates into his ability to play bigger than he actually is. So for him, it’s more so that conceptual development – putting him in those situations and letting the instinct and skill take care of themselves.”

His confidence has only increased after a successful first season at the pro level, but Waters is excited to continue his improvement and feels the work he’s putting in will pay off.

“I feel more than confident,” Waters said. “I have a great sense of faith and I know what I’m capable of. Just need someone to value it as much as I value it. Everything else will play itself out. Just knowing that I have an opportunity coming up is more exciting than anything and really humbling, to say the least.”

A major step ahead of year two for Waters is becoming a better professional with a heavy focus on eating right and taking care of his body. Maximizing every variable you can control is huge for undersized guards, and Waters has a great understanding of that. With the help of Celtics guard Kemba Walker, Waters has a good outlook on what he needs to do.

“My biggest thing right now is the way that I eat and becoming more of a professional,” he said. “Kemba actually helped me a lot in seeing how a premier NBA point guard takes care of their body. Just being around him during the season, he kind of took me under his wing and showed me what to do, what not to do, how to do certain things – when to lift, when to do recovery – just all of the little things. He showed me what I could improve on by showing me what he does.”

Speaking of Walker, he’ll be back next year as the Celtics starting point guard. Marcus Smart returns as well, while the restricted free agent Brad Wanamaker’s future in green remains uncertain. So where does that leave Waters coming off of his two-way deal?

The Celtics can present Waters with a two-way qualifying offer, a route that would make him a restricted free agent and one that certainly is not the 22-year-old’s preferred option. All things considered, there is a good chance Boston goes in this direction to kick off the negotiations. His work in the G League last season proved he’s worth a guaranteed NBA contract, but if the aforementioned scenario were to occur, Boston still could negotiate a guaranteed deal with Waters (as an RFA).

The Celtics have serious interest in bringing Waters back on a guaranteed contract this season, according to multiple sources, but there are two complicating factors that remain in play. The unpredictable fluidity of this year’s free agency timeline looms over all impending contract negotiations league-wide. Boston finds themselves in an interesting spot, though, with three first-round picks in next week’s draft. What they ultimately do with those assets will have a big impact on the roster crunch, and consequently affect the likelihood of Waters getting a guaranteed deal.

From the Celtics’ perspective, the perfect scenario is getting him back on another two-way contract, but it’s more than likely that they’re unable to do that with other suitors expressing interest in Waters. He could also put the ball in Boston’s court by outperforming his counterparts in training camp, which ideally would lead to a guaranteed deal.

Adding Waters to Boston’s everyday roster would be a beneficial situation for both parties. He showed his talent in the G League last season, and making him their third point guard would allow the Celtics to keep him in their system while continuing his development. His energy would provide a spark off the bench for Boston, something it desperately needed during stretches late in the season. For Waters, continuing his progression in a familiar system with similar personnel would be advantageous in year two with a top-tier organization.

Some would argue that Waters’ size creates a defensive concern at the NBA level, but his good hands and the awareness of his strengths prove otherwise, especially against quick guards. Waters, the 2019 SEC Defensive Player of the Year, gave Boston good activity during various defensive stints last season, something that caught the eye of head coach Brad Stevens in February. Stevens labeled his quick hands and defensive positioning some of Waters’ greatest strengths, which says a lot considering his size. All in all, Boston would regret not keeping Waters on their roster moving forward.

“You aren’t G League Rookie of the Year, or even All G League Second Team for no reason,” one NBA front office source told me. “I know he can play in the league, it’s just a matter of landing in the right spot. All you have to do is watch 15 minutes of his G League game tape — the talent is there.”

He’s controlling what he can control by putting in the work each day with less than one month to go before training camp. Now, Waters awaits the things he can’t control.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics Pre-Season Thread Empty Re: Celtics Pre-Season Thread

Post by bobheckler Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:56 pm

https://nesn.com/2020/11/why-brad-stevens-predicts-unique-celtics-training-camp-for-nba-season/

Why Brad Stevens Predicts ‘Unique’ Celtics Training Camp For NBA Season

Stevens and Co. have no choice but to adjust to the NBA calendar

by Marcus Kwesi O'Mard

22 hours ago

Brad Stevens won’t complain about returning to work so soon.

The Boston Celtics head coach revealed his expectations for the training camp his team will hold ahead of the 2020-21 NBA season. With the campaign set to begin Dec. 22, Stevens predicts a “unique” training camp and he’ll depend on lessons he learned prior to the resumption of the 2019-20 NBA season in the Orlando, Fla., bubble in order to position the Celtics for success.

“It is a short offseason,” Stevens said. “But in talking to our guys, we’ve always recognized that these are unique times. We’re really lucky to do the jobs we do and to have the opportunity to compete.

“It is going to be a unique training camp, probably for us. (It will be) almost more like the (NBA Orlando) bubble training camp than a normal training camp just because we’re going to have to ramp them up at the appropriate rate just because we’ll have just gotten done playing two months ago by the time we start.

“That’s assuming all this stuff passes. I’m going with that assumption because we’ve got to be prepared for that.”

SiriusXM NBA Radio
@SiriusXMNBA
·
Nov 10
"We're gonna have to ramp them up at the appropriate rate"

@Celtics
Head Coach Brad Stevens tells
@TheFrankIsola
and
@Scalabrine
how his team will get ready to play on December 22nd

#BleedGreen
https://twitter.com/i/status/1326155147924410369

For those with the shortest of memories, here’s a refresher: the Miami Heat eliminated the Celtics from the Eastern Conference Final after six games Sept. 27.

Just under three months span the end of the old and start of the new NBA seasons, giving the Celtics a narrow window to refresh and restart.

Like much of what has transpired in 2020, the NBA schedule is out of the Celtics’ control, so it’s no surprise Stevens is willing to give it his best shot regardless of the circumstances.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:44 pm

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:53 am

Poirier wants rotation minutes but says he doesn’t want to leave. I don’t see him having the defensive quickness to handle what the Cs would need him to do on that end. I certainly don’t see him beating out Theis, and the 2 Williams’s.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:06 am

KyleCleric wrote:Poirier wants rotation minutes but says he doesn’t want to leave. I don’t see him having the defensive quickness to handle what the Cs would need him to do on that end. I certainly don’t see him beating out Theis, and the 2 Williams’s.

https://www.celticsblog.com/2020/11/11/21561459/vincent-poirier-unwilling-to-spend-another-season-out-of-boston-celtics-rotation

Update: Vincent Poirier clarifies comments on his role with the Celtics

Poirier played in just 22 games in his first season with Boston

By Keith P Smith  Nov 11, 2020, 4:31pm EST

Celtics Pre-Season Thread 1195989640.0
Photo by Fernando Medina/NBAE via Getty Images

UPDATE (11/12/20): Vincent Poirier sat down with Tom Westerholm from MassLive and clarified some of his comments from his recent interview with We Sport. It seems as if some of Poirier’s comments were taken out of context and/or were lost in translation.

Poirier told MassLive: “I just told him I accepted the role I had this year, because obviously that’s what I deserved, because I didn’t show anything. But I think I worked. I think I understand the game, so I used this season to grow and to progress. I’m just saying that was cool, but as a competitor, as a man, as a basketball player, I want more. I’m not here just to be with the guys.

“So that’s why I said that. I said, ‘Yeah, I don’t want to do two seasons like that,’ not because I think I don’t deserve it, just because I want more. Every basketball player in the world will tell you the same thing. It’s nothing personal against Brad, it’s nothing personal against the Celtics, it’s just like when you play in the NBA, you want more than to just be on the team.”

It seems as if what Poirier wants is a chance to compete. He understands that he didn’t show enough last season to earn a role. He also noted that it’s on him to show more this season to earn that opportunity.

Poirier also said he has texted with Brad Stevens to make sure they are on the same page, and that there are no issues. Poirier also made it clear he doesn’t want to leave Boston: “It’s nothing against the Celtics or the coach. That’s the basketball. That’s the best thing in the world. I can’t say nothing. We had a pretty good year, so I have nothing to say about them. It’s just my personal opinion of myself, about my situation, about what I want for me next season. ...

“I’ve never been that guy who trash talks about any team. The Celtics found me, welcomed me really well. I don’t want the fans to think I’m just here to take the money and leave, that I don’t give a f--- about the team or the fans.”

Celtics Pre-Season Thread 1227819735
Photo by David Sherman/NBAE via Getty Images
(Note: Parts of Vincent Poirier’s interview were translated via Google Translate.)

In an interview with French-language site We Sport, Boston Celtics center Vincent Poirier indicated he’s hopeful for a bigger role next season.

Poirier was asked about not playing much in his first season in Boston and said “I had a discussion with the coach (Brad Stevens) at the end of the season, I told him clearly that I had done a year in this role and that I understood the role and the club’s policy to want to win, and to play those who have deserved their place. I just told him that I will do a year like this but not two. I think that a first year is also made to help you discover, to take your marks, and that the second year is the one to prove things. I took it with that in mind and I’m ready for the second year.”

Poirier played in 22 games for Boston, logging just 130 minutes. This is following being a regular starter for high-end clubs in both France and Spain during the preceding four seasons.

When asked if he believes he should be in the Celtics rotation next season, Poirier said “I don’t know where I’ll be, but in my head it’s obvious that I’m not doing one more season at the end of the bench to applaud.”

When pressed if he wants to leave Boston, Poirier expressed no particular attachment to the city nor the Celtics saying “Boston is a city that I like. I like the players too. I would like us to win something together. After that, I am not attached to this club more than anything in the sense that I did not grow up with this club. It is not my dream club. But if I can stay and win a title with them I will. I am here to play, to be a competitor and not to just stay. I will have no remorse to leave.”

Poirier indicated he has no plans to ask for a release to head back overseas despite interest from clubs in Turkey, Spain and Russia. He also said he hopes to play for France in the upcoming Olympic Games in Tokyo in the summer of 2021.

Poirier spoke of his close relationships to many of the other French players in the NBA. He said his best friend in the league is Rudy Gobert of the Utah Jazz. Poirier also spoke with fondness of being in the bubble with so many other players from France and their time spent together.

As for his Celtics teammates, Poirier said he was most impressed by Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown this season: “(Tatum) really exploded and everything seemed extremely easy for him at the end of the season. There was also Jaylen Brown. Players that I see every day, who work a lot and it is largely thanks to them that we have come this far.”

Bob
MY NOTE:  To be honest I didn't see anything in Poirier's game that turned me off particularly.  His defense is at least as good as Kanter's (the bar, admittedly, being set at 'limbo level') and his offensive game is similar.  Last year he was 4th on the depth chart, and that doesn't include smallball 5 Grant Williams.  If Kanter leaves that opens up minutes that translate directly to his skill sets.  Theis, who had much better bona fides coming from Europe 3 years ago (2X German League Champion, German League MVP), only played 15mpg his first year.  I wouldn't give a fat rat's ass for any player who didn't want minutes, Poirier is no exception.  He can play at a professional level, he's not a question mark like Tacko Fall.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:30 pm

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2020/11/13/tacko-fall-rookie-year-future-in-boston-height-as-blessing

Tacko Fall discussed his rookie year, his future in Boston, and viewing his height as a blessing

By Trevor Hass, Sports Producer

November 13, 2020 | 1:22 PM

Tacko Fall said he’s loved his time in Boston so far and is excited about what he hopes is a long future with the Celtics.

“I tell a lot of people, if I could retire here, I probably would,” Fall said.

The 7-foot-5 center, who is set to enter his second year with the Celtics, discussed his growth as a rookie, his plans going forward, and how he views his height as a blessing. Fall, speaking as part of a Heroes Among Us event Thursday evening, called joining the Celtics one of the best decisions he’s made.

He recounted the initial disappointment and ensuing joy he experienced on draft night. At first, as he sat there in person, and listened to dozens of names get called but never heard his own, he was understandably melancholy. Fall tried to remain positive, but he had trouble blocking out the frustration.

Then he got back to his hotel, and Celtics Director of Player Personnel Austin Ainge called him and was adamant about the fact that the Celtics wanted Fall to join the team. Fall received other calls, he said, but he could see there was something different about the Celtics.

“You can tell when someone really wants you and believes in you,” Fall said. “That’s something that I really felt from Boston right away.”

Elhadji T Fall
@tackofall99
I love Boston what can I say lol

Chef Paña 🇵🇦🇨🇷🇭🇹
@_octavio1996
@tackofall99 really be walking through Boston like he’s my height or something lol
1:11 PM · Oct 1, 2020

As he arrived in Boston, he said he benefited right away from the leadership of the veterans, the camaraderie of his fellow rookies, and the staff and ownership. He particularly appreciated the levity Enes Kanter brought.

“Sometimes I felt like I was the vet, though, with Enes, because he can act a little childish, sometimes,” Fall said with a laugh.

He said he could tell immediately that Boston fans are passionate about their teams, and he appreciated the culture right away. Rather than deflect all the attention he got, he chose to run with it.

Fall said he’s learned, particularly through charity events and games at TD Garden, that it makes sense that people want to get to know him because of his stature. He gets it, and he does his best to use that extra attention to brighten people’s days.

“It’s something that I’ve developed,” Fall said. “For me, it was just a matter of perspective. You’ve just got to look at it as a blessing, pretty much. That’s something that I’ve been blessed with, and I shouldn’t run away from it. That really made me embrace it a lot more.”

Mo Bamba
@TheRealMoBamba
·
Aug 10
Tacko Monday
https://twitter.com/i/status/1293007823098519555

As Fall became a phenomenon culturally, he also blossomed into a more polished player on the court. He said the most difficult adjustment was learning to move in and out of the paint and avoid getting called for three seconds.

Going to the bubble was difficult at first, because he wanted to spend more time with his family, but he adjusted and used the time as a chance to sharpen his craft. He worked diligently with Jay Larranaga to strengthen his post moves, among other skills, and he said he’s seen concrete results over the past few months.

Fall recently worked out with close friend and teammate Grant Williams and Indiana Pacers big man Myles Turner. While it can be difficult to find players to watch on film and model his game after, Fall enjoys monitoring the habits of many centers, past and present.

This offseason, he said his main priority is getting into the best shape of his life, and he said he’s already dropped below his target weight.

Fall is eagerly awaiting another run with the Celtics, and he knows the team is capable of making even more noise this time around.

“I really believe we could have gone all the way,” Fall said. “We had the talent and the drive to do it. Because of that, it’s going to give us an edge next season, and I’m really looking forward to everybody coming back and getting to work. I’m sure everyone’s focus will be on another level.”

Bob
MY NOTE:  If Tacko is going to watch old film how about Moses?  Nobody could keep Moses Malone off the glass on either end and, at 7'5", nobody should keep Tacko from the ball either.  Imagine that, though.  An offensive board monster on the Celtics.  It's been too long.

I don't know.  I definitely saw progress over the year.  The player we saw in March was vastly better than the one we saw in summer league and pre-season.  Is it enough? For a 4th big it might.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:54 am

https://www.celticsblog.com/2020/11/13/21546778/robert-williams-is-better-on-offense-than-you-think-boston-celtics

Robert Williams is better on offense than you think

Robert Williams has built a reputation on the defensive end, but his smart plays on offense shouldn’t be ignored.

By JeremyStevens  

Nov 13, 2020, 2:00pm EST

Celtics Pre-Season Thread Usa_today_14972302.0
Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports

Are we sure shot blocking is Robert Williams’ best skill?

With so much attention on Timelord’s blocks, we lose sight of his passing and playmaking. And if fans are going to so loudly proclaim Boston needs to find a center, we may as well take the time to clarify what our current big men can do and can do well.

I’ve previously joked about Williams’ passing being “love at first sight.” He seems to pass so quickly and so decisively that I can’t tell if it’s because of his confidence in the play or if it was simply the first person he saw and impulsively pulled the trigger.

Max Carlin
@maxacarlin
Another trap thrown at Kemba, but Rob is too capable passing on the roll as well, and smart cut from the corner by Grant
https://twitter.com/i/status/1301685784697864195

Watching the Celtics try to score on Toronto’s defense during the playoffs was like trying to pull teeth with a rubber band, but the clip above is great because it shows a lot of situational awareness and quick decision making from the Williamses. The Raptors made it nearly impossible for Robert Williams to set a useful screen, so he moved to get the ball in open space where he could find Grant in stride to the basket. I’m not sure how Robert drew so much attention with the ball at the free throw line, but I think Toronto was probably caught off guard by him reading the trap on Kemba so well. This forced them to adjust on the fly, leaving Grant open.

Max Carlin
@maxacarlin
·
Oct 25, 2019
Replying to @maxacarlin
Looks like Rob is the one calling for this seemingly impromptu hammer screen (not positive if this would qualify). If so, smart play
https://twitter.com/i/status/1187983503205507073

Max Carlin
@maxacarlin
Quick decision by Rob from the middle of the zone
https://twitter.com/i/status/1187984047357775872

If Max is correct in thinking Rob improvised on setting that screen, then it should win you over as a believer in Rob’s offensive instincts. And if Max is wrong, it’s still a good screen! If the Celtics bring their isolation-centric offense into the next season, productive off-ball plays become twice as important.

One common complaint about Boston’s offense last season was that there wasn’t enough ball movement, but it’s important to understand that the Celtics were exceptional in isolation. I noted back in February that the team’s free throw rate had increased as the assist rate went down because the offense was re-modeled to optimize isolation play. Keep in mind that “assists” and “playmaking” are not the same thing, and that raw assist numbers aren’t exactly an indication of strong passing.

If you’re like me and like to make fun of the Houston Rockets “standing around” while James Harden dribbles (whether or not it’s accurate to say so), give the Celtics their due credit for creating shot opportunities with off-ball screens, usually in the form of Daniel Theis sealing a defender under the basket. Robert Williams slinging passes in the middle of the defense and opportunistically setting screens to free up shooters would add another unique wrinkle to the offense when he’s on the floor compared to his teammates. I doubt he overtakes Daniel Theis as a starter, but as a passer, he’s already better.

Max Carlin
@maxacarlin
Rob instantaneous redirect on the entry from Jaylen to Marcus for the wide open 3. Quick decision-making on offense has always been there
https://twitter.com/i/status/1296250527475531780

He’s so quick to find the right play sometimes that it almost feels preordained.

I’ve been writing this as a wave of trade rumors sweep away my concentration. My thoughts on what the Celtics rotation could look like are in flux with the Celtics tied to Myles Turner and/or Jrue Holiday deals. What I’ll say is that I’m pleasantly surprised with Rob’s development on offense over the past season and think he’s a better piece than he gets credit for. Maybe not significantly better, but it really feels like he doesn’t get credit for his offense. His shooting obviously needs work, but I’ve already talked myself into him developing the Amir Johnson trebuchet-style three-pointer before long.

Timelord’s name hasn’t been mentioned in trade speculation, but fans and Celtics management should take pause when considering putting him into a trade package. If you still think the Celtics are in desperate need of a new center, then you’re entitled to your opinion. All I ask is you take a moment to look at Rob (and Grant, for that matter) Williams’ development before you dial up the trade machine.

Bob
MY NOTE:  I've been saying for a while that we should take advantage of RWill's love of passing.  In fact, I think RWill and GWill could make a formidable 2-man pnr threat.  This is his year.  It's his 3rd, which is the year we expect players to step up and he should be viewed no differently.  

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:51 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2020/11/aaron-nesmith-foot-injury-is-100-and-i-wont-miss-a-beat-when-boston-celtics-camp-opens.html

Aaron Nesmith: foot injury is ‘100% and I won’t miss a beat’ when Boston Celtics camp opens

Updated 3:25 PM; Today 3:25 PM

By John Karalis | JKaralis@masslive.com

Aaron Nesmith was a bigger flamethrower than Hank Scorpio in his first 14 games with Vanderbilt this past season, hitting 60 of 115 3-pointers, a ridiculous 52.2%, He made one more 3-pointer in 14 games of his sophomore year than he did in 32 games of his freshman year.

Then he suffered a stress fracture in his right foot, which ended his season. That was nearly a year ago, but it was still enough to bother NBA teams, according to former Phoenix Suns and current radio host Ryan McDonough. He tweeted on draft night that “several NBA teams with top 20 picks have concerns about the right foot of Vanderbilt sniper Aaron Nesmith. These teams are worried that Nesmith’s foot, which he injured in January, is slow to heal. Teams picking later in the 1st round are preparing in case Nesmith slides tonight.”

He didn’t slide past 14, which is where the Boston Celtics selected him, but many mock drafts had Nesmith, widely considered the best shooter in the draft, going before that by at least a few spots. At an introductory press conference today, Nesmith said the concerns were unfounded.

“I’ll be good to go. I’ve done everything so far workout-wise. It’s good,” Nesmith said. “It’s 100% and I won’t miss a beat.”

The 6′6″ forward, who will wear number 26 for the Celtics, could slide in quickly for a team that just lost Gordon Hayward. There’s still a possibility Boston gets a player in return as they try to hammer out a sign-and-trade, but it’s also possible Nesmith gets thrown into the fire to give Boston a shooting threat.

“I think you’re certainly hopeful that guys are able to do that sooner rather than later,” Brad Stevens said on draft night. “That will be what we all work hard for over the next however many weeks to get ready when we’re allowed to be in the gym... when you can put the ball in the basket, it certainly is a benefit.”

Nesmith and fellow draftee Payton Pritchard are in Boston and working out, trying to soak up as much knowledge as they can to cram for a season that begins in less than a month. There are a lot of things this year’s rookies need to learn in short order, but a person who can stand in the corner and hit 3-pointers has value no matter what stage of the process he’s in. Whatever knowledge Nesmith lacks is made up for by complete confidence in his shot.

“For me, nothing changes. My warm-up doesn’t change, my form doesn’t change, my footwork doesn’t change,” Nesmith said. “So as long as I continue to work on those things, continue to perfect those attributes to my game, there’s no reason for my shot not to translate from one level to the next.”

Bob
MY NOTE:  If there's one good thing about 2020 it's that the offseason is practically nothing.  Camp opens Tuesday December 1st, 7 days from today.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:29 pm

Nesmith certainly has a lot of confidence.

Celtics fans remain cautiously optimistic.

The Celtics offense is designed to open up 3 point opportunities. Both of our draft picks have solid shooting mechanics and should thrive in this offense.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:49 pm

https://www.celticsblog.com/2020/11/24/21669337/celtics-sign-introduce-aaron-nesmith-and-payton-pritchard-boston-rookies-nba-draft-2020-danny-ainge

Nesmith has a brother at Harvard
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:52 pm

Just saw a game with my son on you tube Vanderbilt vs Auburn, Nesmith vs Okoro. Okoro is supposed to be the best defensive wing in college and Nesmith had no problem scoring on him, hitting shots from 3 and some nice finishes. Actually was surprised Okoro wasn’t better, Nesmith showed me some finishing ability I didn’t know he had and his stroke looked as advertised.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:17 pm

Vanderbilt's Aaron Nesmith's virtual film session with Mike Schmitz | NBA on ESPN

Nesmith understands his strengths and weaknesses. He has a high basketball IQ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koltoZpL7l4
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:44 pm

dboss wrote:Vanderbilt's Aaron Nesmith's virtual film session with Mike Schmitz | NBA on ESPN

Nesmith understands his strengths and weaknesses.  He has a high basketball IQ.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koltoZpL7l4

Dboss,

I had actually already watched this breakdown.  What impressed me was not only his memory for specific plays but his attention to detail and recognition of those mistakes in detail.  Schmitz showed a play where Okoro blew past him.  Not only did Nesmith explain why that happened he also remembered, and volunteered, that on the next play Okoro tried the same thing but that time Nesmith was prepared.  Awareness, in-game recognition and learning and a little bit of push back against Schmitz.  I liked it.

I watched film on Nesmith before the draft so I could have some opinion about who Danny should pick at 14 if available.  Nesmith was my first choice, over Precious and Bey.  I've watched a lot more film on him now that he is a Celtic.  I am liking what I am seeing and hearing more and more.

Don't be surprised if you start seeing some Ray Allen in him.  Not this year, maybe not even next, but someday.  He's a shooter like Ray.  A bit slow of foot like Ray.  Moves constantly without the ball like Ray.  I'm not saying he's a lock for the HOF like Ray but he could be a poor man's Ray Allen and that would still be pretty damn good and an absolute steal at #14.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:09 pm

Nesmith is so intelligent AND dedicated to improving his craft. He is a winner whovwill fit in oerfectly with our lineup. Think of all the attention he will demand and how much spacing that will gjve the two J's and our point guard. What a shooter and scorer.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:14 pm

Bob

"What impressed me was not only his memory for specific plays but his attention to detail and recognition of those mistakes in detail."

My thoughts exactly.  I think the Celtics may have drafted a student of the game who also happens to have a killer shot.

I know a lot of people may not fully appreciate how good PP is.  He does not have great speed but he more than makes up for it with a great change of pace handle.  Also he is a terrific shooter and a descent passer/playmaker.

With Hayward gone and Romeo ailing, the door is open for Nesmith to see minutes.  The Celtics will continue to play 3 point guards and with Smart starting and Teague as our BU, PP will be fighting for minutes at the point against Carsen Edwards.  Maybe in year 2 Edwards will be more comfortable running the offense.  But I am putting my money on Pritchard.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:23 pm

worcester wrote:Nesmith is so intelligent AND dedicated to improving his craft. He is a winner whovwill fit in oerfectly with our lineup. Think of all the attention he will demand and how much spacing that will gjve the two J's and our point guard. What a shooter and scorer.

No doubt. Nesmith was rated the best catch and shoot player in college. As Tatum has ascended to a guy that requires help defense, it really opens up the offense.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:27 am

Drew Hanlen
@DrewHanlen
The bigger the bag of tricks, the bigger the bag! @jaytatum0 celebrated his $195 million deal by doing what he’s always done... WORK!!
https://twitter.com/i/status/1331078648233828360

Bob
MY NOTE:  Working on his handle

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:43 am

And his body. He looks thick.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:50 am

Jaylen has definitely added muscle overall. OMG, what a beast he already is. NBA, wait for it!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:12 am

Hi is still using his forearm a bit to create space on his drives.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:37 am

Chris Grenham @chrisgrenham
about 1 hour ago
Most two-way players are expected to spend the majority of the 2020-21 season with their respective NBA teams as an extension of the 15-man roster. No 45-day limit + a condensed schedule = lots of Tacko Fall and Tremont Waters in Boston this year.

Bob
MY NOTE:  With Kemba being brought into the season slowly that will increase opportunities for Tremont and Payton to move up in the depth chart and get some minutes.  Will Brad give any free minutes to the new draft pick, Payton Pritchard, or will he give it to the player with a year of Brad's system under his belt, Tremont Waters?  FWIW I'd give the minutes to Tremont. No summer league and an abbreviated pre-season doesn't give Pritchard a lot of time to familiarize himself with Brad's system. Is he a shooter that can replace some of Kemba's points? Yes, but is that enough? Teague, for sure, will get more minutes than his season average will end up being.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:23 pm

worcester wrote:Nesmith is so intelligent AND dedicated to improving his craft. He is a winner whovwill fit in oerfectly with our lineup. Think of all the attention he will demand and how much spacing that will gjve the two J's and our point guard. What a shooter and scorer.

Agreed.

I believe Nesmith was a very good pick, filing a specific need for a shooter.

I think he's among the few NBA-ready prospects we've been able to draft in the past 20 years, along with Smart, Tatum and Brown. Can't technically count Rondo, since he was a draft night trade taken for us by Phoenix, but he otherwise would fit in with this group.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:07 pm

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:22 pm

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:22 pm

Gary Washburn @GwashburnGlobe
about 1 hour ago
#Celtics preseason schedule: Dec. 15 at Philadelphia #76ers Dec. 18. vs. Brooklyn #Nets

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next