Interesting, yet Non-Basketball Related Stuff (An Ongoing Thread)

+2
bobc33
gyso
6 posters

Go down

Interesting, yet Non-Basketball Related Stuff (An Ongoing Thread) Empty Interesting, yet Non-Basketball Related Stuff (An Ongoing Thread)

Post by gyso Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:52 pm

I found the twin tornadoes article (with the awesome picture) just now and I thought, "I would like to show this to the guys (and Rosalie) on the board".  I looked for somewhere to post the picture and the link, but I couldn't find a thread that was just for posting interesting, yet non-basketball related stuff.  So now, here's a place any that member can post stuff that they find on the internet, stuff that they find interesting (or just awesome) and want to share.  The only requirement is that it is non-basketball related.

I'll start out with the picture and add the link to the article.

‘Image of a lifetime’ shows twin tornadoes spawned from a single supercell

Interesting, yet Non-Basketball Related Stuff (An Ongoing Thread) 6-04-110

http://www.grindtv.com/random/image-of-a-lifetime-shows-twin-tornadoes-spawned-from-a-single-supercell/#dHi6hZqQYGGtHauO.97

gyso

Back to top Go down

Interesting, yet Non-Basketball Related Stuff (An Ongoing Thread) Empty Re: Interesting, yet Non-Basketball Related Stuff (An Ongoing Thread)

Post by bobc33 Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:39 pm

Now that is awesome!

Good idea for this thread thank you gyso.

Back to top Go down

Interesting, yet Non-Basketball Related Stuff (An Ongoing Thread) Empty Re: Interesting, yet Non-Basketball Related Stuff (An Ongoing Thread)

Post by gyso Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:55 pm

Here's something I just found:

Underwater graveyard full of WWII planes is otherworldly

http://mashable.com/2015/07/18/underwater-plane-graveyard-wwii/

For 70 years, World War II planes have been resting in peace at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean.

Although divers have enjoyed exploring the underwater graveyard since the 1960s, Brandi Mueller's photos allow us to admire these treasures without a wetsuit.

"I find diving [to see] the airplanes really exciting," Mueller, a scuba diving instructor and boat captain, told Mashable. "It's a strange thing to see airplanes underwater. Shipwrecks you expect, but not airplanes."

The planes didn't actually crash at this particular location near the Marshall Islands, though. They were discarded there after WWII because it was too expensive to transport them back to the United States from the Kwajalein Atoll, according to Mueller.

The site includes Douglas SBD Dauntless dive bombers, F4U Corsairs, TBF/TBM Avengers, Helldivers, B-25 Mitchells, Curtiss C-46 Commandos and F4F Wildcats, which sit in the sand about 130 feet below the surface.

Use link to see pictures.  Here's one:

Interesting, yet Non-Basketball Related Stuff (An Ongoing Thread) Wwii_p10

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:59 pm

gyso,

I believe we had a thread for this purpose around the opening of he forum. I think it was subsequently scrubbed in an effort to rid the forum of unused or under-utilized thread. Either the thread in question or another one that was scrubbed was designed to allow members to post items about themselves and their lives, including new ventures they might be starting. (Sort of free advertising.)

I think this thread is a great idea, and I hope it can be expanded (1) to make it a sticky and (2) to include opportunities for members to share information about themselves. (No political or religious proselytizing please.) But I'd prefer to trust your own instincts, gyso.

Sam

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:12 pm

Sam,

The thread that you refer to is:

Member News (An Ongoing Thread)

It is still available to post to.  It was moved over to this forum when the rest of the under-utilized "Ongoing Threads" were moved over.

This purpose of this thread is different, to me anyway.  I think it is for interesting stuff found on the internet.  So far it is more visual in its presentation, rather than driven by the written word.  At least that is how I've used it for the two on-topic posts that I've made.

That's not to limit this thread to items that are more visual, that's just how I've used it so far.  Anyone can use it however they want, the internet is full of interesting stuff.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:04 am

Man who mowed lawn with tornado behind him says he 'was keeping an eye on it'

Interesting, yet Non-Basketball Related Stuff (An Ongoing Thread) Tornad10

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/three-hill-tornado-lawn-mower-1.4145466

A photo of a man in Alberta mowing a lawn with a tornado swirling behind him has been causing a bit of a storm on social media.

Cecilia Wessels snapped the picture of her husband, Theunis, on Friday evening as the twister passed near their home in Three Hills.

She says cutting the grass was on her husband's to-do list, and as he started the task, she went for a nap.

'I've never seen anything like that before': Tornado spotted near Three Hills, Alta.

Wessels says she was woken by her nine-year-old daughter who was upset that there was something like a tornado in the sky, but her father wouldn't come inside.

Theunis Wessels says the tornado was actually much further away than it appears in the photo, and that it was moving away from them.

There have been no reports of injuries from the tornado, although some other photos show downed trees and a barn with its roof ripped off.

"I literally took the picture to show my mum and dad in South Africa, 'Look there's a tornado,' and now everyone is like, 'Why is your husband mowing the lawn?"' Cecilia Wessels said Saturday.

"Our whole street, everyone was on their back patios taking pictures," she added.

Theunis Wessels said he was keeping watch of his surroundings and saw the twister form as the swirling connected from the sky and the ground to form the funnel.

Both said tornadoes are not common in South Africa, but Theunis said he watched a TV program about storm chasers, so he's familiar with them.

The tornado moved away to the east, he said.

"It looks much closer if you look in the photo, but it was really far away. Well, not really far, far away, but it was far away from us," he said.

"I was keeping an eye on it."

Here is another picture with more tornado and less lawn:

Interesting, yet Non-Basketball Related Stuff (An Ongoing Thread) Tornad11

So, the question must be asked: Just what does it take to get a Canadian man pumped up?

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:44 am

gyso wrote:Man who mowed lawn with tornado behind him says he 'was keeping an eye on it'

Interesting, yet Non-Basketball Related Stuff (An Ongoing Thread) Tornad10

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/three-hill-tornado-lawn-mower-1.4145466

A photo of a man in Alberta mowing a lawn with a tornado swirling behind him has been causing a bit of a storm on social media.

Cecilia Wessels snapped the picture of her husband, Theunis, on Friday evening as the twister passed near their home in Three Hills.

She says cutting the grass was on her husband's to-do list, and as he started the task, she went for a nap.

'I've never seen anything like that before': Tornado spotted near Three Hills, Alta.

Wessels says she was woken by her nine-year-old daughter who was upset that there was something like a tornado in the sky, but her father wouldn't come inside.

Theunis Wessels says the tornado was actually much further away than it appears in the photo, and that it was moving away from them.

There have been no reports of injuries from the tornado, although some other photos show downed trees and a barn with its roof ripped off.

"I literally took the picture to show my mum and dad in South Africa, 'Look there's a tornado,' and now everyone is like, 'Why is your husband mowing the lawn?"' Cecilia Wessels said Saturday.

"Our whole street, everyone was on their back patios taking pictures," she added.

Theunis Wessels said he was keeping watch of his surroundings and saw the twister form as the swirling connected from the sky and the ground to form the funnel.

Both said tornadoes are not common in South Africa, but Theunis said he watched a TV program about storm chasers, so he's familiar with them.

The tornado moved away to the east, he said.

"It looks much closer if you look in the photo, but it was really far away. Well, not really far, far away, but it was far away from us," he said.

"I was keeping an eye on it."

Here is another picture with more tornado and less lawn:

Interesting, yet Non-Basketball Related Stuff (An Ongoing Thread) Tornad11

So, the question must be asked:  Just what does it take to get a Canadian man pumped up?

gyso

In answer to your final question..............a Molson Export. Surprised he doesn't have a little beer caddie on the handle.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:16 pm

Yet another reason to pay someone else to cut the lawn.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:32 am

This will be a most random post but why not.

I was digging through my stuff and found a box of collectible cards, its mostly NHL and magic the gathering cards but I also found a box of baseball cards.

The baseball cards were from 1989 upper deck high numbers and only name I recognized was Nolan Ryan. it was in original box with the stickers etc at the bottom.

The hockey cards are all from between 93-96 or something with a few special cards I remember getting at the time like the martin brodeur rookie card and jeremy roenick rookie card which are from 90 I think.  So if somebody themselves or know somebody that they are fans of specific players or whatever that I might have just send me a pm with the info and ill look for it and see what I can find be it teams, players or what not. Better to get it to somebody that is a fan or can appreciate it rather than it just collecting dust here.

Oh and to relate it to the celtics I also found a pj brown card from when he played at lousiana tech!
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down