Brad Stevens would welcome chance to coach Team USA

2 posters

Go down

Brad Stevens would welcome chance to coach Team USA Empty Brad Stevens would welcome chance to coach Team USA

Post by bobheckler Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:38 am

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4720693/brad-stevens-would-welcome-chance-to-coach-team-usa

Brad Stevens would welcome chance to coach Team USA
13h

Chris Forsberg, ESPN Staff Writer

Boston Celtics coach Brad Stevens said he's flattered by speculation that he should be considered as the next coach of USA Basketball after Mike Krzyzewski steps down following the Rio Olympics. And while he believes there are better candidates out there, he said he would not turn down the opportunity if approached about it.

Krzyzewski told ESPN earlier this week that the 2016 Olympics will be his last at the helm and a succession plan will be unveiled before those Games in Rio de Janeiro next summer.

Stevens, who celebrates his 39th birthday on Thursday, has dabbled in USA Basketball in the past and has distinguished himself at both the college and NBA levels. Some people have wondered if he might draw consideration for the job, and USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo said Tuesday that the next coach will likely come from the pro ranks.

"First of all, it’s flattering to even be mentioned. Secondly, if they approached you, you say ‘Yes’ before they get the question out of their mouth," Stevens told reporters after Wednesday's practice. "Thirdly, I would hire somebody else, because I think there’s a lot better coaches than I am. But I’ve been fortunate to be on a USA Basketball staff, I know those guys. I don’t know Jerry Colangelo, but I know he’ll do what’s best for USA Basketball.

"There are better coaches than I am and there are a lot of people that could do a good job with that and the key is getting the right guys on the team. They’ve done a great job of that. And then Mike has done a great job, along with his staff -- [Tom Thibodeau] and Monty [Williams] and Nate [McMillan] and Jim Boeheim, all those guys that have been on their staff -- of making it about the team. Kudos to all that have done that because it’s really been a fun ride for all of us to watch."

Stevens noted how he served as a court coach for USA Basketball during a camp that included then-18-year-old Kyrie Irving and Austin Rivers. He later served as an assistant at the World University Games in China in 2011 with a team that featured Draymond Green and raves about this experience.

"I had a blast with it because I was an assistant coach [at the World University Games] with one of my good friends Matt Painter at Purdue and Cuonzo Martin, who is now the head coach at Cal," said Stevens. "We were assistants together, we stayed in the dorm in Shenzhen, China, for 15 days. The dorm was so small that when we Skyped each other’s families, we were in the family, we were talking to each other’s families. We had a great time.

"I talk about, not only coaching those guys, we had good players on our team that are a lot of fun to follow now that they’ve gone on to be pros, both here and abroad. But also just getting a chance to scout the international teams. I actually came back with a 22-minute DVD of international actions that I loved because I was an assistant. I was going to watch Russia play three or four times, and we never even played them, just doing advanced scouting. It was really fun, I had a good time."

Stevens has encouraged his players to compete for their national teams, supporting third-year big man Kelly Olynyk and his time with Team Canada despite the fact Olynyk has incurred minor injuries during international play.

Stevens stressed that he believes the next Team USA coach could come from the college or pro ranks and believes the players ultimately distinguish the program.

"I’ve said this before: There’s not a monopoly of great coaches at one level," said Stevens. "There’s a lot of great coaches at a lot of different levels. Mike Krzyzewski is one of the great coaches and leaders of all time at any level and any sport. It’s not a surprise that he’s done what he’s done. Also, the guys that have been with him are all really good coaches. But, at the end of the day, the players have all done their part, too. It’s been a great, great thing to watch."

bob
MY NOTE: Unless the Celtics implode this year I'd consider this to be a "done deal". Too much talent and success at both the college and pro level, already, to not be the odds-on favorite.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Brad Stevens would welcome chance to coach Team USA Empty Re: Brad Stevens would welcome chance to coach Team USA

Post by wide clyde Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:17 pm

And if he does get this position with the Olympic team, he may just be with that program for every bit as long as Coach K has led them.

If he does get this honor, I only hope that it does not hinder his efforts with the Cs in any way because as much as I hope that our highly paid professionals always do well in the Olympics every four years I am still a Celtics fan first every year.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down