Celtics expected to pick up option on Young

2 posters

Go down

Celtics expected to pick up option on Young Empty Celtics expected to pick up option on Young

Post by bobheckler Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:49 pm

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/boston-celtics-expected-pick-up-option-on-james-young?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

Celtics expected to pick up option on Young

October 23, 2015, 4:30 pm

Celtics expected to pick up option on Young Byline-blakely-cdc

BOSTON – Training camp is coming to a close and James Young still finds himself on the outside of the Celtics’ playing rotation.

But the 6-foot-6 guard/forward appears to have done enough to figure into the team's short-term future. The Celtics are expected to pick up their team option for the 2016-2017 season prior to the Nov. 2 deadline.

Boston will do the same with Marcus Smart, although Smart – a member of the NBA’s all-rookie second team last season – was more of a no-brainer.

Danny Ainge, the Celtics' president of basketball operations, declined to comment on the team’s intentions in terms of picking up team options or the status of potential extensions for fourth-year players Tyler Zeller and Jared Sullinger.

Still, in terms of Young, Ainge likes the direction the 17th pick in the 2014 draft is taking his game.

“James is growing as a player and as a person,” Ainge told CSNNE.com. “He has a better work ethic and he’s a better player.”

The 20-year-old Young has been at his best in Boston’s past three preseason games.

He has played in all six preseason games, averaging 4.7 points while shooting 40 percent from the field and 42.9 percent on 3s.

More than just scoring, Young looks more comfortable on the floor with his teammates and within his game.

"He's able to play more unconsciously as opposed to thinking where to be all the time," Ainge said.

In an interview with CSNNE.com, Young said, "I’m just trying to do as the coaches tell me, stay aggressive, play good defense and if my shot is there don’t hesitate to shoot.That’s all I’m really trying to do when I get out there.”

While Young has not played anywhere close to the level many expected when he left the University of Kentucky after just one season in 2014, Ainge believes bad luck has been a significant factor..

“Last year, James’ development was stunted with no training camp, no summer league and hurt a couple times when he was just getting there and would have some kind of setback,” Ainge said. “He had some really tough luck as a rookie.”

Said Young: “It was hard not really getting a chance to show what I could do because of injuries and stuff like that. But I’m healthy now.”

Improved health plus about 20 pounds of added muscle gives Young a chance to compete defensively which he is discovering will be the best path to take towards getting playing time under head coach Brad Stevens.

“That’s something that I’ve really tried to improve, my defense,” Young said. “It’s not where I want it to be, but it’s getting there.”

Ainge echoed similar sentiments.

“Hopefully he’ll stay healthy and keep developing and be ready when his chance comes,” Ainge said.

bob
MY NOTE:  My first thought, when I read this, was "and that's that for Perry Jones III".  Then I thought again and came up with "if Young was going to be traded and kept, wouldn't the acquirer like to know he's locked up for a year?".

Ah, hope is the thing with feathers...

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics expected to pick up option on Young Empty Re: Celtics expected to pick up option on Young

Post by wide clyde Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:32 pm

Bob,

Even thinking of signing Young for additional years beyond the two he has left on his original rookie contract boggles my mind. There is no need to run out and sign this guy now. I say let him show much more improvement before putting even one extra dollar into any type of longer term commitment to him. If he were even close to being a rotational player I might change my mind, but he still looks like the 15th man and may still need to find an apartment in Portland again. Of course, if Jones had done anything in preseason Young would likely have been gone by now. It is pretty clear (stats and time of the games at which they enter) that the two rookie guards are way ahead of him already.

On the Perry Jones thought you could be 100% correct. As you know I predicted that he would earn a starting spot, but he has not even yet (time is just about done) earned a spot in the rotation never mind the starting five. Looks like my crystal ball is 0-1 so far this season.

I am quite disappointed for (and by) Jones if he indeed gets cut as getting cut in his contract year is not a good thing. He MUST have NBA ability if he was able to score all those points for OKC in even the three games that he filled in for Durant last early season before getting injured, but where has that ability gone? Could be just another guy who fell off the radar I guess.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down