Olynyk's defense turning heads early in Celtics season

+4
cowens/oldschool
Matty
bobheckler
rambone
8 posters

Go down

Olynyk's defense turning heads early in Celtics season Empty Olynyk's defense turning heads early in Celtics season

Post by rambone Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:23 pm

A.Sherrod wrote:WALTHAM, Mass. – The vision that so many of us have when it comes to an impactful big man defender varies.

A shot-blocker extraordinaire like Phoenix’s Tyson Chandler. An athletic freak like the Los Angeles Clipper center DeAndre Jordan. And then there’s the big man with the nibble feet variety a la Memphis’ Marc Gasol.

Kelly Olynyk doesn’t fit the profile of any of those players, yet there’s no way around the impact that Olynyk has had defensively on games played this season by the Celtics.

He comes into Tuesday’s game against Milwaukee with a defensive rating of 71.7, which in this still-young NBA season is tops in the NBA among all players who have averaged at least 10 minutes of court time per game. He has been one of the keys to a Celtics squad with a defensive rating is 95.2, good for seventh in the NBA.

When asked about his play defensively and his impressive defensive rating, Olynyk responded, “I don’t know. It’s not something you can try and do. You have to play the way you’re playing. I just have to play hard on both ends of the floor.”

One of the keys to being a better defender is recognizing how to play off of - and with - different teammates. It hasn’t taken Olynyk long to discover the value of 6-foot-9 forward Amir Johnson in terms of helping establish a strong team defense. Johnson signed a two-year, $24 million deal with the Celtics during the offseason which includes a team option for the second year.

“He’s definitely a good guy to play with,” Olynyk said of Johnson. “He plays with high energy, high intensity on both ends of the floor. He makes things happen.”

Especially on defense.

“He makes things easy, he covers your back. He doesn’t need the ball on offense,” Olynyk said. “He doesn’t sell you out on defense. He’s got your back or he’s there. Often times he doesn’t need help so he doesn’t put you in that position. He’s a great guy to play with.”

Celtics head coach Brad Stevens has been pleased with the growth that Olynyk -- as well as some of the team’s other young big men like Jared Sullinger -- have made defensively.

“He’s (Olynyk) done a pretty good job of being in the right position (defensively),” Stevens said. “He’s got a good feel for position. He’s done a pretty good job of getting out to shooters when he’s guarding shooters. He hasn’t been at the 5 (center) a lot, but when he’s been at the 5 we’ve been pretty active defensively and at times when we played a little smaller.

And while Olynyk’s numbers certainly stand out from others, Stevens reminds us all that good defense is anything but a one-man show.

“For one person to be good or have good numbers defensively,” Stevens said, “it’s relying on the other four people playing good defense with them. That’s a positive thing for sure.”

A. Sherrod Blakely

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/olynyks-defense-turning-heads-early-celtics-season

rambone

Back to top Go down

Olynyk's defense turning heads early in Celtics season Empty Re: Olynyk's defense turning heads early in Celtics season

Post by bobheckler Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:02 am

I'm sticking with what I wrote on the post-game thread for the Wizards game.  Kelly had a good game on both ends.  He needs to do it again.  Then again.  Then again.  If he shows that this wasn't just a blip, or a short period of good defensive play because he got a break on some matchups, then I will be very happy to give him his due.  I will be very happy to acknowledged his development.  I will do it because it is in my best interests, as a Celtics fan, to have every player in green get better, even the much maligned (by me!) James Young.  Just show me Friday's game wasn't a fluke, Kelly.

Last year is last year. If we are not going to look at all his defensive foibles last year and just assume they still exist, then we shouldn't use his stats from last year. He is definitely more aggressive on the offensive end and that's a positive too. He's starting fresh, like every player, and Friday was a good start, as Blakely notes. Sully had a lousy pre-season. He started to turn it on a few games ago and has been playing well every game since. Now that he's a consistent performer I'm willing to get past his earlier poor performances.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Olynyk's defense turning heads early in Celtics season Empty Re: Olynyk's defense turning heads early in Celtics season

Post by rambone Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:03 am

His defensive foibles last year were greatly exaggerated.

And his impact was greatly underrated.

And going forward, just as in the past two seasons, he can make a positive impact on most every game without shooting lights out. His impact is subtle, but provable over 100+ games.

Offensive efficiency was night and day better with KO on the court the last two seasons. Even when he shot 1-6 or games like that.

Just as a great rim protector impacts the game even when he's not blocking shots, a great floor spacing big impacts the game even when he's not hitting his shots.

Some day it will make sense, if it still doesn't now.

I've said it enough times, and backed it up with stats and team performance with and with Olynyk enough times that it's pointless to say it any more.

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:38 am

rambone wrote:
I've said it enough times, and backed it up with stats and team performance with and with Olynyk enough times that it's pointless to say it any more.

Ya know ya opened yerself here right...   lol
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:21 pm

His defensive incompetence last year was accurate, hes had a few good moments on defense and plenty of times he still gets scored on easily, hes a very weak help defender and cannot play post defense, theres a reason hes not on the best scoring bigs and always on the weaker smaller defender, that good coaching, why have a weak defender cover a proficient scorer? Lets see him string together some defensive games and cover the best scoring bigs....I still don't think he has those type of defensive attributes, but what do I know? and all your cherry picking of stats show how anyone can slant stats to prove their point, your stats say hes a better defender than Howard, Gortat, Noah, thats a joke!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:04 pm

Olynyk may not be a star yet and may never become one, but he is improving each season.

Bob said it all when he mentioned that Olynyk needs to play consistently at the levels at which he played against the Wizards.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:06 pm

Cowens, I admitted those early season stats from this year were fluky, and mostly cited them because your eye test is stuck in 2013.

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:45 am

bonehead my eyes are fine, posters are bored and annoyed with your constant cherry picking of stats and relentlessness of backing them.....nobody gives a shit!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:07 am

I apologize to everybody. I think I'm a little aspergers or something. Or at least annoying.

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:19 am

No need to apologize. Some people are just upset to find that a player that they would give away for a bucket of balls and a bag of donuts actually has some value in the league.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:19 am

Marsha, Marsha, Marsha...have a snickers

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:38 am

dboss wrote:Marsha, Marsha, Marsha...have a snickers

dboss

dboss,

Too f---in funny.

I think we should all take a snickers on this topic for a while and let game after game unfold and show us the truth.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:25 pm

The Truth? (LOL)

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:01 am

Olynyk still with the league best defensive rating, holding on by 1/10th of a point
http://stats.nba.com/league/player/#!/advanced/?sort=DEF_RATING&dir=-1&CF=MIN*GE*9%7CGP*GE*5

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:08 am

Olynyk and Smart top 2 in the league in preventing fast break points
http://stats.nba.com/league/player/#!/misc/?sort=OPP_PTS_FB&dir=-1&Season=2015-16&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PerMode=Per36&CF=GP*GE*5%7CMIN*GE*40

Evan Turner And David Lee not too far behind.

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:28 am

rambone wrote:I apologize to everybody. I think I'm a little aspergers or something. Or at least annoying.

ya got that right, keep on bombarding us with stats, so hes gonna be all defensive right?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:33 am

Rambone, I appreciate your perspective on Kelly and like his game too. Even though he's no Hondo, Walton, of McHale he has a lot of upside. Let's hope his D is consistently improving this season. If so, he's a keeper.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down