Jordan Mickey Named D-League Player Of The Month For December

+3
cowens/oldschool
bobheckler
beat
7 posters

Go down

Jordan Mickey Named D-League Player Of The Month For December Empty Jordan Mickey Named D-League Player Of The Month For December

Post by bobheckler Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:34 am

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/240343/Jordan-Mickey-Named-D-League-Player-Of-The-Month-For-December

Jordan Mickey Named D-League Player Of The Month For December

JAN 5, 2016 12:49 PM

Maine Red Claws forward Jordan Mickey, on assignment from the Boston Celtics, has been named NBA Development League Player of the Month for games played in December.

Mickey (6-8, 238, LSU) led Maine to a 7-2 record (6-2 in games that he played) and averaged 19.6 points, 10.5 rebounds, 5.3 blocks and 1.8 assists. On Dec. 31, he recorded a triple-double with 13 points, 13 rebounds and an NBA D-League season high of 10 blocks in a 119-112 win over the Texas Legends. On Dec. 19, he blocked eight shots in 112-100 victory over the Westchester Knicks. On Dec. 6, he scored a season-high 32 points and grabbed 13 rebounds in a 110-97 win over the Erie BayHawks.

Mickey was selected with the 33rd overall pick by the Celtics in the 2015 NBA Draft. During his multiple assignments, he has averaged 18.1 points, 10.6 rebounds, 4.7 blocks (tops in the NBA D-League) and 1.6 assists in 17 games.

Other players receiving consideration for the monthly award were Austin’s Orlando Johnson, Delaware’s Jordan McRae and Sean Kilpatrick, Grand Rapids’ Lorenzo Brown, Iowa’s Alex Stepheson, Raptors’ Ronald Roberts Jr., Sioux Falls’ DeAndre Liggins, Texas’ Toure’ Murry and Westchester’s Jimmer Fredette and Jordan Bachynski.

bob
MY NOTE:  I know he must be sick as hell of Maine but it's just a matter of time.  I keep reminding myself that he has never shown what he can do, or even that he can do it, against real NBA talent while playing real, non-garbage time minutes but he has great skills.  IF ONLY he was 6'10"+.  Danny would be spraining his fingers dialing the phone to make a deal to make space for him. Danny showed incredible acumen and sense signing this kid to the longest and biggest NBA contract in 2nd round draft pick history.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Jordan Mickey Named D-League Player Of The Month For December Empty Re: Jordan Mickey Named D-League Player Of The Month For December

Post by beat Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:54 pm

I just hope we get to at least see him for a while and he's not part of a trade.........but depends on who is on the other end of that too.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Jordan Mickey Named D-League Player Of The Month For December Empty Re: Jordan Mickey Named D-League Player Of The Month For December

Post by worcester Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:54 pm

I still like Hunter, but Mickey is what makes me patient with the 2015 draft class and not throwing plates against the wall as if I were at a Greek restaurant. Terry Rozier at 16 - what a disappointment. I thought he'd be much better.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:11 pm

The good news is he is getting great experience playing all the time in the D-league. He may not be ready for prime time minutes until March or April. At that time he could be a force to be reckoned with as his confidence and skills grow. He is only one inch shorter than the listed height of #6. The D-league was created for guys like Mickey. When he does actually start to get NBA minutes he will be a welcomed addition to the strongest team of role players in the NBA.
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:53 am

mulcogiseng wrote:The good news is he is getting great experience playing all the time in the D-league. He may not be ready for prime time minutes until March or April. At that time he could be a force to be reckoned with as his confidence and skills grow. He is only one inch shorter than the listed height of #6. The D-league was created for guys like Mickey. When he does actually start to get NBA minutes he will be a welcomed addition to the strongest team of role players in the NBA.

Hi mulcogi, how are you doing? Hope all is well.

D-league is great for developing players and good for keeping players in "game shape". Mickey is getting both. His instincts on the defensive end are pretty impressive. I can't wait to see how he does against NBA talent. We may have to wait until next year, but unless he is part of a monster deal I'm confident we will see it.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:37 pm

Until we get a 7 foot monster/rim protector, I think our best 4-5 combo going forward is gonna be Mickey and Sully.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:46 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Until we get a 7 foot monster/rim protector, I think our best 4-5 combo going forward is gonna be Mickey and Sully.

cow,

What about Amir?  He is neither old, nor have diminishing skills.  He still has at least 4-6 GOOD years ahead of him.  Minimum. Shouldn't he be in the equation?

I know you're not a fan of Kelly's, but just hypothetically speaking, how do you see Mickey and Sully, on the floor together, opening up the middle?  Without that 7' monster you referred to if we go with that tandem then our guards better be lights out shooters from the perimeter because both of these guys need to be down low and, as we all know, our guards are not lights out shooters.  While I like both of these guys, Mickey and Sully, I don't think the two of them on the floor together provides us with the 'space' part of 'space and pace'.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:04 pm

bob

I like Amir, he could still be in rotation.

I like the mobility and shot blocking of Mickey combined with the ferocity of Sully, they would be undersized, but exciting to watch, dare I say potentially like Cowens and Silas. I think they could definitely hold their own and then some and Mickey could provide more help to Sully than anyone including Amir.

I have been following Mickey in the DL and he is improving in all phases and has improved mechanics and results on his 3 point shot, but its his defense that could help us the most. Sully can anchor a defense, then having Mickey pressing on the 4's with Crowder, Smart and AB make for an intriguing defense. I believe Mickey's shotblocking will translate at the NBA level, he may not lead the league, but he would lead this team in blocked shots and his energy, tenacity and mobility would really help Sully and the team.

cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:08 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:bob

I like Amir, he could still be in rotation.

I like the mobility and shot blocking of Mickey combined with the ferocity of Sully, they would be undersized, but exciting to watch, dare I say potentially like Cowens and Silas. I think they could definitely hold their own and then some and Mickey could provide more help to Sully than anyone including Amir.

I have been following Mickey in the DL and he is improving in all phases and has improved mechanics and results on his 3 point shot, but its his defense that could help us the most. Sully can anchor a defense, then having Mickey pressing on the 4's with Crowder, Smart and AB make for an intriguing defense. I believe Mickey's shotblocking will translate at the NBA level, he may not lead the league, but he would lead this team in blocked shots and his energy, tenacity and mobility would really help Sully and the team.

cow

cow,

Good answer.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:23 pm

bob we bleed green, on KO, I don't want a guy like that on the floor in a tight end game of an intense playoff game, his defense and the way he gets shoved/moved around like a rag doll is not what is needed when the intensity level goes up a few notches....hes just NOT my type of player.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:41 am

Hey Bob, I'm living in the motor home you guys helped me buy in Quartzite, Az at a rock and rv show for a few months.

There are no untouchables on this roster for my taste. I think we have the best team of role players in the NBA but this team lacks a PP, KG, and iforgethisname. IOW, a go to guy, a defensive stalwart, and a lights out shooter. We have a few possibilities to replace the then emerging Rondo, but they still have to prove themselves. I'm happy with the rebuild not the current roster. Two top 5 picks in the next draft could help either by use or by trade. Mickey will fit in well with our current roster but better when some of the logjam is improved. He may be Trader Danny, but he has been more cautious in the last few years as he lets the trade value of past picks improve. We are sitting pretty, borderline playoff team, with a final playoff push getting a 4 or 5 seed, and then deep with the new improved roster we see near the deadline.
I'm going back to bed. lol
mulcogi
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:10 pm

Waiting to see a lineup of Bradley, Smart, Crowder, Johnson and Mickey

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:32 pm

Tough D but only 2 good scorers...
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:14 pm

worcester wrote:Tough D but only 2 good scorers...

And short.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:04 pm

Well at the very least I would like to see that group on the floor together.

Sooner or later Mickey is going to take minutes from someone once they fix the roster.

We have seen everyone else play.  Let's see what he can do.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:34 pm

http://dleague.nba.com/games/20160107/mnebak/
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:50 pm

dboss wrote:http://dleague.nba.com/games/20160107/mnebak/

What I'm noticing is how big and long 6'8" Jordan Mickey looks compared to the others. That's a big difference between D-league and the NBA. It's not just the talent level, it's that they are generally smaller.

He does look good though. He just flies for blocks, VERY quick jump.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:39 pm

Bob

He is very skilled. Also love the way he gets up and down the court.

A real 2nd round steal.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:40 pm

Rozier looks pretty good as well
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:46 pm

dboss wrote:Bob

He is very skilled.  Also love the way he gets up and down the court.

A real 2nd round steal.

dboss

dboss,

Yeah, he does.  One of the things I've noticed about him, that is pretty rare for shot blockers, is that he will switch hands mid-blocking effort.  A player will come in from the left and his left hand goes up.  The player goes up the other side of the rim, using the rim for protection and Mickey immediately forgets about his left arm and sticks out his right to block the shot.  Most players have dominant arms and stick with them.  Some players can use either arm but few will just switch like that.  One example is at the 16:30 mark or so. He has fantastic shot blocking instincts.

You're right about Rozier too.  He's trying to run an offense, and that's what we want to see.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:45 pm

Bob that was a play that he did in this game. It was pretty amazing.

He gets off the floor as quick as anyone I can remember.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down