Shooting From the Hip Jan. 31

Go down

Shooting From the Hip Jan. 31 Empty Shooting From the Hip Jan. 31

Post by bobheckler Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:11 pm

Shooting From the Hip Jan. 31

Shooting From the Hip Jan. 31 Shooting%2Bfrom%2Bthe%2Bhip2

By Lee Lauderdale

As the trade deadline approaches, all too many thoughts turn to “Aggressive Ainge.” Just in case you haven't heard enough wild ideas, how about these:

All-Star PG Isiaih Thomas for Philly's Joel Embiid whose been injured his entire NBA “career”?

Rationale would run something like—this is a classic swap to meet team needs, Philly needs point guard leadership and Boston needs a quality big man. This is actually something our gambling GM might embrace. If Boston doctors say Embiid has a good chance of resuming his career (actually on the court), then Danny might cash in his first time All-Star and wait on the #1 pick center to recover. It would certainly change the current team/season but creating a championship team is not about “this” season. Isiaih has actually been much more of a team player than I ever thought he would and, while I give him huge props for buying in, he still goes 1-on-5 four seconds into the shot clock far too often to be the ideal leader of a space-and-pace offense. My issue with our get-their-own-shot guys is that both (include Turner) of them leave teammates standing around watching while they dance and weave forcing their own offense. Now it is true that standing around at the 3-point line can be productive, and each of our ball-dominant attackers have improved in looking for open teammates, but overall it seems neither is looking to pass (at least the majority of the time) and a lot of their assists come out of bail-out passes after their forays into the paint are thwarted. Too often these passes are off-target, ill-timed, too-predictable, or just in the general direction of the blur of movement in the corner of their eye which has a pretty good chance of being an opponent. For these reasons, if the doc's feel comfortable, I would consider “selling high” and flipping our only All-Star for a potentially franchise center. Neither Smart nor Rozier are ready to quarterback a team, but finding/developing a PG is a lot easier than finding a mobile, multi-tool big man. While this season the team would no-doubt suffer from Smart's and Rozier's growing pains, and Embiid will contribute nothing in the short term, this has the potential for the young PG's growing into their position and that elusive quality big man. What say--hold 'em or fold'em?

Rather than throwing a wad of choice draft picks and Lee's expiring at Denver for Gallinari, or LA for Griffin, or Brooklyn for Lopez, how about just Lee and maybe a late first, or just a second, to Orlando for Harris (for whom they seem to be having buyer's remorse) or Milwaukee for Monroe (same remorse).

As for all these draft picks we are going to “waste” if we don't hurry up and trade them, these are among our most liquid assets and can even the balance in a trade now; a trade before, during, or after the draft; or a summertime maneuver. I don't have a problem with Danny using all the second rounder's on Euro futures or even declarers in the U.S. that are willing to start overseas (Marcus Thornton in Australia this year). Even if no trade is made before the draft, there are openings available by the departure of Lee, maybe Turner, and perhaps the exit of one or more RFA candidates (Sully, Zeller).

While I'm sure that Ainge is working all the angles, and phone lines, I'm just as sure that he won't be panicked into an unwise trade. I really doubt he would mess with the chemistry of the current group for some minimal upgrade (on paper). From a purely selfish fan's standpoint, I have no problem standing pat until June—this team is a joy to watch about 90% of the time. If that sea-change opportunity arises, then Danny has a lot of chips to get in the game.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down