Jared Sullinger explains tight bond, reason why he will attend Evan Turner's jersey ceremony at Ohio State

2 posters

Go down

Jared Sullinger explains tight bond, reason why he will attend Evan Turner's jersey ceremony at Ohio State Empty Jared Sullinger explains tight bond, reason why he will attend Evan Turner's jersey ceremony at Ohio State

Post by bobheckler Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:57 am

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/02/boston_celtics_jared_sullinger_4.html

Boston Celtics' Jared Sullinger explains tight bond, reason why he will attend Evan Turner's jersey ceremony at Ohio State

Jared Sullinger explains tight bond, reason why he will attend Evan Turner's jersey ceremony at Ohio State Jared-sullinger-evan-turner-a99a3c66a50e583a
Boston Celtics' Jared Sullinger, left, and Boston Celtics' Evan Turner, right. (AP Photo/Jessica Hill)
Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com

on February 09, 2016 at 6:00 AM, updated February 09, 2016 at 9:06 AM

BOSTON -- Evan Turner will have Boston Celtics company at Ohio State later this month when his college jersey is raised to the rafters.

Teammate Jared Sullinger, another former Buckeye, committed to attending the Feb. 16 halftime ceremony as soon as he discovered the plans to honor Turner's memorable three-year career. The two grew close during Turner's days at Ohio State, when he became an honorary member of the Sullinger clan.

"That's like a brother to me," Sullinger said. "When he first got to Ohio State he really didn't have, like, a family to lean on in Columbus. And my family took him in like a brother. So it's awesome. I want to support something that's beautiful like that. He deserves every bit of it."

Describing how his bond with the Sullingers started, Turner explained they were "always around" the gym. Sullinger's older brother, J.J., played at Ohio State two seasons before Turner got there. Jared, one of the country's top recruits at that time, worked out with the Buckeyes players even during his high school years.

"So we all just grew into a friendship," Turner said. "I would go to his high school games, hang out with his family and stuff. They're just really good people to be a part of. And they're basketball crazy like I was, so we made a bond from there. I'd go to family bowling outings, all that stuff. His basketball games obviously, we'd go out to eat and things like that. And then we just hung out a lot at the gym.

"They were cool. His older brother's so outgoing. He's just all over the place, you know? They're always around. Ohio State's like one big frat basketball-wise. So they're always around. They're just like our old heads. Sully (Jared) was always at the gym."

Turner spent enough time at the Sullinger household to grow close with Jared's 12-year-old nephew, Jalen. Though Jared said his nephew "really looks up to" Turner, Turner looks at his young friend as more of an equal. Sometimes, he can even forget Jalen's not an adult.

"I think I was with somebody this summer," Turner remembered. "I said, come with me to go holla at my boy. So when I pull up to the house it's like 11:30 at night, and the kid opens the door. He's like, 'This is who you're coming to see? Evan, he's a little kid.' I said, 'Damn, I forget he's 12 years old.' We're sitting on the couch kicking it, I'm like, I forget you're 12 years old.

"But that's definitely the homie. He's basketball crazy. It's really inspiring to see somebody, a young kid, that's that basketball crazy and that into the game."

Will Jalen continue the Sullinger legacy? Jared said his nephew will be "the best (Sullinger) if he gets the height."

"He's a guard. He's a pure guard," Jared said. "He's going to be the best."

Agreed Turner: "Probably. He's got a killer instinct. Great jump shot. His ball-handling skills are great. He thinks he's the best Sully himself. He already thinks he's the best one so that's half the battle.

"He can definitely ball. He's unreal. His skill set's crazy for a kid his age. He loves it."

Maybe one day Jalen will follow his good friend and uncle to Ohio State. Only four players before Turner have their jerseys in the rafters. Jerry Lucas, Jim Jackson and Gary Bradds all captured college national player of the year honors, like Turner did in 2010. The fourth, John Havlicek, went on to win eight NBA championships, garner 13 NBA All-Star appearances, and become the leading scorer in Celtics history.

Turner was struck by Havlicek's size when he first met the Celtics legend during his junior year of college.

"He's big as shi--," Turner said, his eyes wide. "He was tall."

Turner enjoyed that meeting, but wanted to stick up for another former Celtics player who has not received the same honor from Ohio State.

"You want to know somebody that nobody ever talks about?" Turner said. "He played for the Celtics. Larry Siegfried. He was number 21. He won a championship, he was a second team All-American, and he won five (NBA) championships. And they never talk about him. I'm probably going to shout him out."

Evan, you just did.

bob
MY NOTE: Cornbread said that the chemistry on the Celtics is excellent. This is evidence he is right.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Jared Sullinger explains tight bond, reason why he will attend Evan Turner's jersey ceremony at Ohio State Empty Re: Jared Sullinger explains tight bond, reason why he will attend Evan Turner's jersey ceremony at Ohio State

Post by wideclyde Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:08 pm

It is good that this team seems to get along so well. We all know that playing on a team is so much more fun when you get along with your teammates.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down