Brad Stevens: It would take 'unique' trade to help Celtics

4 posters

Go down

Brad Stevens: It would take 'unique' trade to help Celtics Empty Brad Stevens: It would take 'unique' trade to help Celtics

Post by bobheckler Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:05 pm

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2016/02/brad_stevens_it_would_take_unique_trade_to_help_celtics

Brad Stevens: It would take 'unique' trade to help Celtics

Coach focused on current team, future flexibility

Mark Murphy Thursday, February 11, 2016

Brad Stevens: It would take 'unique' trade to help Celtics 021016celticsms13
Credit: Matt Stone
(Boston, MA, 02/10/16) Boston Celtics guard Marcus Smart makes a muscle to the fans after hitting two and fouled during the second half of the NBA game against the Los Angeles Clippers at the TD Garden on Wednesday, February 10, 2016. Staff photo by Matt Stone

Among other benefits of the All-Star break, the Celtics now get to enjoy their position as the third seed in the Eastern Conference for roughly nine days.

The question, especially after a game like last night’s 139-134 overtime win against the Clippers, is how much they want to change leading up to next Thursday’s trade deadline. Even Brad Stevens, who normally steers clear of front office talk, admits the circumstance would have to be special.

“I think it would have to be something unique to continue to help our team,” the Celtics coach said. “I think that we’ve got a lot of future flexibility, and we know that, and at the same time, we have a hard-playing group of guys. We can get better, we have to get better defensively, get back to guarding the way we want to. We have to limit the turnovers and continue to search for good shots when things are going poorly or well.

“There’s a lot of room to improve with the group that’s in there. My focus will be on that. I will respond anytime they want to talk about anything that’s going through their minds, but we haven’t had any of those conversations.”

Friend’s death rocks Doc

Doc Rivers was crushed last night by the news that Ingrid Williams, the wife of good friend and former teammate and assistant coach Monty Williams, died in a car crash yesterday. The couple has five children.

Williams, who coached Rivers’ son Austin in New Orleans, is currently on Billy Donovan’s Oklahoma City staff.

“Monty Williams and his wife Ingrid — I’ve known them since I was married,” he said. “So I don’t know if — there’s no words, there really isn’t. I am heartbroken. I’m sick to death. And once again, it puts this stuff we do in perspective. This is awful.

“Obviously our love and our support and all that — but you know, sometimes that doesn’t seem fair. There’s no better human being in the world than Monty. And Ingrid. And for this to happen, it’s just — sometimes you question everything, and this is one of those times for me, at least.”

Odd twist for Olynyk

Perhaps the oddest coincidence last night was that around the time Kelly Olynyk left the game with a subluxation of his right shoulder in the second quarter, Kevin Love left Cleveland’s game against the Lakers with an aggravation of his shoulder injury. Lest anyone forget, Love suffered a shoulder separation after getting tangled with the Celtics forward in Game 4 of last April’s playoff series in the Garden.

Stevens said Olynyk was taken to New England Baptist Hospital for x-rays and was awaiting results. Olynyk suffered the injury after getting entangled with DeAndre Jordan.

Crowder soldiers on

Crowder last night played his fifth game on a sprained left ankle, figuring he would have enough time for rest during the All-Star break.

Stevens has faith enough in trainer Ed Lacerte and his staff to feel confident Crowder can’t do further damage by remaining active this way.

“That’s Jae and Ed,” Stevens said. “Then I get told if they’re available. I don’t think Eddie would risk that. Obviously, when you have a twisted ankle, at any time that could twist again. But that’s with anybody. But they’ll take every precaution.”

bob
MY NOTE: Just like last year, Brad appreciating and preaching the benefits of continuity and chemistry.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Brad Stevens: It would take 'unique' trade to help Celtics Empty Re: Brad Stevens: It would take 'unique' trade to help Celtics

Post by wideclyde Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:48 pm

In all due respect, Stevens really cannot say anything else but that he is happy with his team and that he really would like to keep them together from 1 through 15. It certainly looks like he likes his players and also that they like him. They are playing better than most anyone thought that they would. He will hurt for a while if any of them are traded away.

Yes, I am sure that he does like his group, but deep down inside he knows that his team can be improved upon within the next four days. He knows his GM and his GM mentioned just the other day that this team is not yet among the league's elite. We all (including Stevens and all of his players) know that Ainge's job is to keep moving forward until the Cs are in the elite group of teams in the league.

Someone posted, in jest, on another thread that Ainge might trade his first born for a better player. It was kind of funny, but we all also know that trading is what Ainge does and what he has to do. You don't get the nickname of "Trader Danny" sitting around forever waiting for draft picks to blossom into players.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Brad Stevens: It would take 'unique' trade to help Celtics Empty Re: Brad Stevens: It would take 'unique' trade to help Celtics

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:49 pm

Speaking of waiting for draft picks to blossom into players, I don't remember a draft class such as this years, that has shown nothing in a long time. Sully showed he could help right as a rookie, AB had an ankle injury, but when you saw him defend, at least he showed something he could do well. This class has shown nothing, heard from afar Mickey has had some good moments in D-League. Remember when Danny drafted the useless wings JR Giddens and Bill Walker? Hes got a history of some lame picks.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:40 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Speaking of waiting for draft picks to blossom into players, I don't remember a draft class such as this years, that has shown nothing in a long time. Sully showed he could help right as a rookie, AB had an ankle injury, but when you saw him defend, at least he showed something he could do well. This class has shown nothing, heard from afar Mickey has had some good moments in D-League. Remember when Danny drafted the useless wings JR Giddens and Bill Walker? Hes got a history of some lame picks.

Cow,

JR Giddens was a #30 pick. Bill Walker was a #47 pick. Picks that low, both of them, almost always bust out.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:47 am

bobheckler wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:Speaking of waiting for draft picks to blossom into players, I don't remember a draft class such as this years, that has shown nothing in a long time. Sully showed he could help right as a rookie, AB had an ankle injury, but when you saw him defend, at least he showed something he could do well. This class has shown nothing, heard from afar Mickey has had some good moments in D-League. Remember when Danny drafted the useless wings JR Giddens and Bill Walker? Hes got a history of some lame picks.

Cow,

JR Giddens was a #30 pick.  Bill Walker was a #47 pick.  Picks that low, both of them, almost always bust out.  

bob

true bob, but have we seen anything from Young, RJ, Rozier and Mickey? actually in very very limited minutes I liked what I saw in Mickey.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:15 am

It certainly would have been nice to see at least one of the four guys Cowens mentioned to have been at least closer to the team's rotation by now. If nothing else they could have been considered as much better trade chips if any of them had gotten any meaningful playing time by now.

But, since all of them seem to have placed their names on the 2016 summer league roster we will have to wait for them till next year.

Of course, their problem with not being able to show themselves as possible contributor will be the giant number of draft picks that the Cs have this summer. If the Nets pick is used by the Cs, these four guys (Young, Mickey, Hunter and Rozier) all figure to get pushed back at least one space in the playing time pecking order for next season.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:24 am

wideclyde,

Hopefully, those four guys (Young, Mickey, Hunter and Rozier) don't get pushed back too much if we use our best couple of picks this summer for a sharp shooting wing (3) and a rim protecting big (5). Mickey should rise in the pecking order due to natural attrition of those already ahead of him (Amir, Jonas can be let go and Sully or Kelly could be traded). Not many here would weep if Young was included in a trade.

Maybe Danny drafts for need instead of his usual best player available route.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down