Daryl Morey: Boston Celtics' Danny Ainge the best negotiator I've ever known

Go down

Daryl Morey: Boston Celtics' Danny Ainge the best negotiator I've ever known Empty Daryl Morey: Boston Celtics' Danny Ainge the best negotiator I've ever known

Post by bobheckler Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:53 pm

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/03/daryl_morey_boston_celtics_dan.html

Daryl Morey: Boston Celtics' Danny Ainge the best negotiator I've ever known

Daryl Morey: Boston Celtics' Danny Ainge the best negotiator I've ever known 19301932-mmmain
FILE: Danny Ainge, the Boston Celtics president of basketball operations, smiles as he listens to a question during the team's NBA basketball media day at their training facility in Waltham, Mass., Friday, Sept. 25, 2015. (AP Photo/Mary Schwalm)

Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com

on March 11, 2016 at 5:00 PM

How did Danny Ainge coax the Brooklyn Nets into surrendering so many unprotected first-round draft picks a few years ago?

A number of factors resulted in a perfect storm for Ainge, whose deal looks even stronger now because the Nets crumbled more quickly than anyone expected. It helped that Brooklyn wanted to become an overnight contender and had an owner who didn't mind piling up massive luxury-tax bills. As the team's former assistant general manager, Bobby Marks, explained earlier this season, the Nets thought they could potentially compete for a title for two years with Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce. That was an optimistic view as we know now, but at the time a core of those two, Deron Williams, Joe Johnson and Brook Lopez sounded like an exciting group.

Plus, Ainge drives a hard bargain, according to Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey:

Brian Robb ‎@CelticsHub
Rockets GM Daryl Morey says his former boss, Danny Ainge, is the best negotiator he's ever known. #ssac16
12:06 PM - 11 Mar 2016
45 45 Retweets 55 55 likes

Morey worked for the Celtics front office for three years before the Rockets hired him in 2006.

Ainge's long history of shrewd moves has set up Boston with a good, young and cheap roster. The next step will be the hardest but the Celtics are in a strong position with plenty of flexibility -- and one of those Brooklyn draft picks -- coming this summer.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down