With raised expectations, what is the Celtics' new definition of success?

+3
sinus007
dboss
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

With raised expectations, what is the Celtics' new definition of success? Empty With raised expectations, what is the Celtics' new definition of success?

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:01 am

http://www.celticsblog.com/2016/3/14/11227140/with-raised-expectations-what-is-the-celtics-new-definition-of-success

With raised expectations, what is the Celtics' new definition of success?

By Jeff Clark  @celticsblog on Mar 14, 2016, 10:18p 49

With raised expectations, what is the Celtics' new definition of success? GettyImages-500826932.0
Maddie Meyer/Getty Images
Not how far they can go, but how far they should go.

"The only thing that matters is Championships."

Let's get that line out of the way right from the jump.  Ultimately it is true because that's what we'll remember 10, 15, 20 years from now.  But there's usually a process and progression to these things.  Teams don't just go from worst to first overnight...

...oh wait, I guess the Celtics did just that in 2008.  But hopefully most of you that are old enough to vote have a basic understanding that the Pierce-KG-Allen era was the exception, not the norm.  For the most part, Championship teams (like the Spurs and Warriors) are built over time.  Even super-teams like the Heat and Cavs take time to congeal and mesh (and sometimes they never do).

The long winded point I'm trying to make is this: There are steps along the way and the journey can be nearly as fun as the destination.  Or to borrow our head coach's philosophy, the only goal is continued progress.

A couple of years ago, the team bottomed out and focused largely on lottery positioning.  It looked like it was going to be more of the same last year but somehow the team was able to put the rebuild into hyperdrive and made a brief appearance in the playoffs.  You could argue how valuable that experience was compared to the potential return of a higher draft pick, but in the big picture it seems like progress.

Now we're watching a team that is currently sitting in the 3rd seed in the East and it seems like we need to re-calibrate what success is.  Simply making the playoffs is practically a foregone conclusion.  Can the team win their first playoff game for Brad Stevens?  How about a series?  Dare we hope for more?

I'm not all that focused on what the team could do.  With a hot streak, some timely injuries for opponents, and a lot of luck, there's no telling how far this team could go.  But within the parameters of what is "reasonable" to expect, I think the aim needs to be somewhere closer to the horizon.

Personally I'm looking for at least a first round victory.  In theory, matchups will be important, but for the life of me I'm not sure which teams I'd like to see and who I'd want to avoid (aside from the Cavs).  The Raptors, Heat, Hawks, Hornets, Pacers, Pistons, and Bulls all have strengths and weaknesses.  They present problems for opponents but so do the Celtics.  Many of them have stars to contend with but the Celtics have Thomas to counter with and Brad Stevens to gameplan with.

To me it seems like progress just to be able to say with confidence that this team can run with any of them.  And since things are so even across the board, you could make the case that winning 2 rounds and reaching the Eastern Conference Finals isn't out of the question.

After that all bets are beyond longshots.  Even if The Land implodes in a heap of egos and the team somehow sneaks into the Finals, they would await the buzzsaw of whomever the basketball deity anoints between the Warriors and Spurs.

As much as I'd like to see this team advance a couple of rounds, there's just as good a chance that they come up short in the first round.  Especially if Crowder's injury lingers or turns out to be worse than it sounds.  We could wind up catching a team on their own hot streak.  This isn't the NCAA tourney where one hot shooting night ends your season, but when the competition is this close in talent level, the difference can come down to made free throws or the last guy in the rotation coming up big one night.

I would be disappointed in a first round out, but I'm not sure if it would be a condemnation of the rebuild process.  Especially since we have been waiting for the Godot of free agency or trades to make us legit contenders again.

I really would like to see Brad Stevens get his first playoff series win under his belt.  Anything beyond that would be gravy for me.  What about you?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

With raised expectations, what is the Celtics' new definition of success? Empty Re: With raised expectations, what is the Celtics' new definition of success?

Post by dboss Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:29 pm

Expectations include continuing to play well during the regular season and then getting out of the first round in the playoffs. Anything beyond that would far exceed expectations.

I think most Celtics fans are rational enough to understand that a trip to the Finals is very, very, very unlikely.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

With raised expectations, what is the Celtics' new definition of success? Empty Re: With raised expectations, what is the Celtics' new definition of success?

Post by sinus007 Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:47 pm

Hi,
I voted appearance in ECF for this year. Celtics do have a chance to get there.
In general, expectations are #18, #19, etc. What else...

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:09 pm

Realistically for me winning a playoff series and a game or 2 in the second round.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:16 pm

I'm totally indifferent when it comes to the Celtics level of success in the playoffs. I'll begin paying attention to the standing if and when Danny can put together a roster that has the talent level to be considered a serious contender for a championship.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:09 pm

For me, unless the Cs fall apart down the stretch (without Crowder this has become a possibility) this season will already have been a success as they have been riding in the top half of the Eastern Conference for a lot of the season so far due to their winning record.

Staying in third place in the east will be a very nice improvement over last season when they barely sneaked into the playoffs. They still have a chance at my last summer's prediction of winning 50 regular season games. Many of their young players have improved again this season. The playoffs are almost a guarantee again.

To make this season even better would be to win a first round playoff series and perhaps even a second round series. If Crowder can come back strong by the playoffs (and no other significant injuries pop up), both scenarios are distinctly possible.

They still have work to do to improve again for next year, but let's finish out this season to start discussing those needs.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:07 pm

someone find that thread from the beginning of the year and sticky it at the top to see how close we were with our pre-season guesses.

now that we're winding down the season.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down