gyso
6 posters

Go down

POST GAME MIL. BUCKS - HOME Empty POST GAME MIL. BUCKS - HOME

Post by 112288 Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:30 pm

STUDS AND DUDS: TYLER ZELLER, CELTICS CRUISE PAST BUCKS

WEEI

By Josue Pavon

There’s nothing like a blowout win at home for a team that’s fighting for a top-3 seed in the Eastern Conference.

Behind a steady defense and a second-half offensive serge, the Celtics beat the Bucks 124-109 on Friday night at TD Garden.

After Milwaukee’s quick start, the Celtics outscored the Bucks in the final three quarters and cruised to their 47th win of the season. Tyler Zeller’s 26 points matched a career-high — he led five Celtics in double figures. Isaiah Thomas reached the 20-point plateau for the 18th straight game (20), Kelly Olynyk and Avery Bradley each finished with 16 and Jared Sullinger added 15.

Giannis Antetokounmpo’s 27 points led the Bucks, he also finished with 7 rebounds and 7 assists. Jabari Parker added 18 points and Miles Plumlee finished with 16.

Led by Antekokoumpo’s 17 first-quarter points, the Bucks got off to a hot start and opened up an 11-point lead before the Celtics closed the quarter on an 11-5 run and pulled within five, 35-30. However, the Celtics found their offensive rhythm before halftime — scoring in transition off of missed attempts and 3 steals.

By halftime, the Celtics scored 14 fast break points and a 65-58 lead. Their momentum carried into the second half where they opened up a 27-point lead — their biggest of the night. They viciously attacked the Bucks — finishing with 70 points in the paint and 27 fast-break buckets. Led by Zeller’s career night, the Celtics bench tallied up 60 points.

STUD OF THE NIGHT: Tyler Zeller

Zeller did a stellar job of scoring in the paint and defending the hoop on the other end. He scored 26 points on 9-of-15 and 4 blocks. His aggressiveness got himself to the free throw line — where he went 8-0f-9.

DUD OF THE NIGHT: Jae Crowder

Although Crowder solid perimeter defense, he struggled to find his shot on the other end. He finished with 9 points on 2-of-7 shooting, including 1-of-4 from deep.

WHINE OF THE NIGHT: Isaiah Thomas’ streak is over

For 17 consecutive games, Isaiah Thomas led the Celtics in scoring — a new franchise record. The streak came to an end on Friday, but in a game where he didn’t see the floor in the final frame and his team blew out the Buck by 15 points, Thomas is most likely not disappointed. Thomas is also in the midst of new streak — he has scored 20 or more points in 18 straight games.

STAT OF THE NIGHT: 70 points in the paint

The Celtics attacked the basket throughout the night and finished with 70 points in the key. Tyler Zeller did a stellar job of cutting to the hoop and getting easy 2’s and Jared Sullinger was posting up Milwaukee’s big men and converting layups. The Bucks had a tough time clogging the paint as the Celtics were able to get high-percentage baskets.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

CSNNE

CELTICS FINISH STRONG, BEAT THE BUCKS, 124-109

By Jimmy Toscano April 08, 2016 10:00 PM

BOSTON - If Brad Stevens' main objective is to make sure his team is playing well headed into the postseason, Friday night was another step in the right directions.

While, yes, the Celtics did allow 58 point on 56.4-shooting from the field in the first half, it was the way in which they closed out the second quarter and carried the momentum into the second half that propelled them to a 124-109 win over the Bucks.

The Celtics outscored the Bucks 11-3 in the final three minutes of the second quarter and grew their seven-point halftime lead to a whopping 21 points, outscoring the Bucks 36-22 and holding them to just 33-percent shooting from the field.

The two-headed monster of Giannis Antetokounmpo and Jabari Parker kept the Bucks in things in the first half, but foul trouble limited Antetokounmpo in the second half, as he picked up his fifth foul in the third quarter.

He had 20 of his game-high 27 points at halftime. Parker, meanwhile, finished with 18 points.

And for the first time in 18 games, it was not Isaiah Thomas who led the Celtics in scoring - though he still was a major factor in the win. Thomas finished with 20 points (not needing to play the fourth quarter due to the Celtics' big lead) but it was Celtics big man Tyler Zeller who led the team with a whopping 26 points.

Avery Bradley scored 16 points and Jared Sullinger had 15. Kelly Olynyk added 16 off the bench on a perfect 5-for-5 shooting.

Player of the Game

It's not often we can give it to a player other than Isaiah Thomas, so we'll jump at the opportunity to give it to Tyler Zeller tonight. Zeller hasn't been called upon as much as he'd have liked this season, but there's something to be said about a player ready for the call at any moment. It speaks to the professional Zeller is, and you can be sure Brad Stevens appreciates that. Zeller's 26 points ties a career-high he set last season.

Turning Point

Giannis Antetokounmpo had just hit a three-pointer to put the Bucks up one point, 55-54, before Brad Stevens took a timeout with 2:41 remaining in the second quarter. The Celtics then came out firing, as Jared Sullinger hit a three-pointer from the corner to put the C's back up two points. Then four. Then eventually eight. They never looked back.

Stat to Track

The Celtics had a whopping 70 points in the paint against the Bucks, choosing to take it to them at the basket instead of hoist three-pointers. Boston only took 14 three pointers on the night, which is low for them.

Yup, he can play

You hear so much about Giannis Antetokounmpo, and the Greek Freak did not disappoint Friday night. It was clear from the very start that the only person going to stop Antetokounmpo was himself. Nobody on the Celtics had any luck guarding him, especially when he had a full head of steam. Antetokounmpo had 17 points at the end of the first quarter, but picked up fouls and essentially took himself out of the game by doing so. Once he learns how to control his body a bit more, watch out.

What's Next?

The Celtics are on to Atlanta instantly as they get set for the second night of a back-to-back against the Hawks Saturday night. The Hawks didn't play Friday night so might have a little more energy than Boston, but the C's have been strong in back-to-backs this season so it should be a good one.

Back to top Go down

POST GAME MIL. BUCKS - HOME Empty Re: POST GAME MIL. BUCKS - HOME

Post by gyso Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:10 pm

47 wins. That was my guess for the regular season. We ain't done yet.

The Freak had a good game going until the offensive fouls put him on the bench. He may be something in the future, his overall numbers this season are Durant-like, according to Mike Gorman. He would have been a good choice in that year's draft, but he was such a unknown.

It was a fun game to watch, such good passing. Nice game by Zeller, too bad he can't produce numbers like this more consistently.

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:54 am

I said about 48 wins so I think we are right on target. Next year look to mid to high 50 wins.112288

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:30 am

I had them at 51 wins and if Crowder hadn't gone down for a while we might have made it. If we run the table we can still reach 50.

So if we score 124 points while only shooting 14 threes, what does that tell us? Sam would have loved this game. Running, rebounding, passing and playing defense. That's an example of old-time Celtics basketball. I for one would like to see more of it.

Berlin-T
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:02 am

Berlin-T wrote:I had them at 51 wins and if Crowder hadn't gone down for a while we might have made it. If we run the table we can still reach 50.

So if we score 124 points while only shooting 14 threes, what does that tell us? Sam would have loved this game. Running, rebounding, passing and playing defense. That's an example of old-time Celtics basketball. I for one would like to see more of it.

Berlin-T

as good as the Bucks ran early...we took their best shot and stayed close. Then they quit running back on defense and we took advantage. Perhaps the less treys were due to them not get back on defense. But that said, several times we did have looks from 3 but passed them up and looked inside. That indeed was rather refreshing and as far as Smart being a PG.... well he might not be great in a set offense but man he led the break quite well.

Zeller for MVP

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:39 am

That was Bee-U-tiful basketball by the Celtics last night (and by the Bucks in the 1st quarter).

The Freak had 17 points on 5-6 and 3 assists in the 1st quarter on a variety of scoring opportunities including some coast-to-coast fast breaks.  Jae picked up 3 quick fouls trying to stay in front of him.  Then, Brad the genius put 6'2" Avery Bradley on 6'11" Giannis Ate-whatever-the-hell-it-is and that was the end of the fast breaks and of a lot of the opportunities he was killing us on.  17 points in the 1st quarter, 10 more points for the rest of the game.  1 more assist, in 3 quarters.  Bradley just shut him down.  He probably should be All-Defensive FIRST team but if he isn't at least 2nd team there should be an investigation into voting corruption.  His offensive versatility is just beginning to mature.  We'll be seeing 10 years of him and Porzingis and it will blow our minds at all they will be able to do at their size.  Bird and Magic were the faces of the new NBA of the '80s, The Freak and Zinger are the faces of the new NBA on the '10s.  A 6'11", 21 year old point guard and a 7'3", 20 year old SF.

Half the secret to this win, I think, is that we were able to contain Greg Monroe.  When the Moose is loose he is a load and a very accomplished offensive player.  

Sully's boxscore isn't that great but I liked his game.  He did a great job of using his body.  He got guys on his hip where he wanted them and scored inside.  He posted up John Henson shot blocker like that.  Just before the half  he got his man on his inside hip and Smart threw a perfect full court pass that hit Sully over his outside shoulder for a layup with 2+ seconds left on the clock.  Perfectly executed by both Sully and Smart.

Smart had a good game of laying down pnr pocket bounce passes all night, with Zeller thinking he hit the lottery.  9 assists and 1 TO for Smart.  That's very, very nice.  0-2, but that's ok.  Make passes, don't turn it over, play your usual maniac defense and don't make dumb mistakes and I'm good.

Kelly 5-5 for 16, 7 rebounds and 2 steals in 23 minutes.  Finally, an efficient game from him after the slow comeback from the shoulder injury.  I'm still seeing him checking his shoulder a lot.  He'll put his other hand on it and then rotate it.  He'll fake taking a shot to get his motion down.  He's still not "game back" but last night was good.

35 assists on 44fgm.  That's 80%.  The league average is around 56-58%.  Whoever said it was right, Sam would have loved this game.

9 blocks vs 5.  They have Henson, Freak, Plumlee and Monroe and we almost doubled them on blocks.  It was all working last night.  Uber-mensch Zeller with 4.  Thomas, Isaiah Thomas, our IT, with 2 blocks.  Truly an upside-down game when those two lead the team in blocks.

29 fast break points, 70 points in the paint.  70.  I don't think I've ever seen or heard of a game with 70 point paints.  99 high quality fgas and fgms out of 109 total points.  That's amazing.  Only 14 3pt fgas.  So much to love about this game.

Let's be fair, Jerryd Bayless, who can light things up, didn't play.  Neither did high quality SF Khris Middleton.  I don't care, we need every win.  Miami lost, so we now have a 1 game lead on them.

47 wins.  

Bleacher Report, in its omniscience, predicted 43 wins.  

Matt Moore of CBS Sports predicted 38.
Zack Harper of CBS Sports predicted 43.
James Herbert of CBS Sports predicted 45.
Ananth Pandian of CBS Sports predicted 41.

Sports Illustrated predicted 47.4 wins.  Oh yeah, they're not plugged into Vegas at all, are they?...

USA Today had us at 46.

ESPN gave us 43.

A lot of people on this board were more optimistic.  With 47 wins and 3 games left i think I know who knows the Boston Celtics better.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:49 pm

BobH,

I was gonna guess that Kelly was still having issues with his shoulder at an earlier game the other night.  After a play on the defensive end, he walked directly towards the bench while play continued to the other end.  He must have made eye contact with Brad and then went down the other end to finish out the offensive set.  Brad immediately got Zeller up, over to the scorer's table and Zeller checked in at the next possible opportunity.  Kelly did not get off the bench for the rest of that game.

I looked for some kind of report the next couple of days but I couldn't find anything.  I am glad that you noticed that he is still bothered with the shoulder, which helped confirm my suspicion.  I wouldn't be at all surprised that he has some kind of medical procedure over the summer, if it is still causing him discomfort. He was making such progress at both ends of the court earlier this season, so it had to be something physical that was causing his recent regression.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:23 pm

This game reminded me of Game 6 in 86 or Game 7 in 08, a really thorough beatdown. I'm not sure if Giannis whatever his name is's best position is PG, this was a great 1st quarter for them, but there was only one Magic Johnson and there is a reason there hasn't been another. Can he defend the position? can he defend the 2 or 3? I don't think he and Jabari are a good fit together as they both play the same position, SF and neither really can defend wither the 3 or 4. Now add in the defensive abilities of Monroe and you have a pretty weak defensive team, but I sure enjoyed watching us put on a passing clinic. Would love if this is a landmark game for us and we can pass this great in the near future.

Marcus Smart was great in initiating the offense, a Rambo wrecking ball like defender and some really clever passes and ball handling, he can do this. AB can defend as has been documented. Nice to see Zeller and KO have great games, easily best game ever of Z's career. Mickey looked confused, maybe hes thinking too much, just hustle and play hard, hes got to play faster.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down