cowens/oldschool
sinus007
worcester
beat
steve3344
bobc33
11 posters

Go down

NBA PLAYOFFS 2016 POST GAME ATLANTA - HOME GAME #4 Empty NBA PLAYOFFS 2016 POST GAME ATLANTA - HOME GAME #4

Post by 112288 Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:04 pm

STUDS AND DUDS: MARCUS SMART, CELTICS EVEN SERIES AGAINST PAUL MILLSAP, HAWKS

WEEI

By Sam Packard

Just as the crowd had grown weary of Marcus Smart’s inconsistency, he took Game 4 over on both sides of the ball, shutting down Paul Millsap on one end and scoring 11 straight fourth-quarter points, including a pair of back-to-back 3-pointers, to give the Celtics their first lead of the second half.

When all was said and done, the Celtics tied the series at two games apiece with a 104-95 overtime win.

It wasn’t easy. Millsap totaled 45 points and 13 rebounds — 99 percent of which came before Celtics coach Brad Stevens switched Smart on to the All-Star power forward — and the C’s required an Isaiah Thomas drive to tie the game at 92-92 with 15 seconds left and a horrible Jeff Teague end-of-regulation possession to force overtime.

Thomas iced the game in overtime, drilling a 3-pointer from the corner to give the Celtics a 102-95 lead in the final minute. The series goes back to Atlanta anew on Tuesday.

Thomas scored a team-high 28 points to go along with six assists and four rebounds. Smart added 20 points, eight rebounds and five assists off the bench. Evan Turner (17 points, 7 rebounds, 6 assists), Jonas Jerebko (16 points, 10 rebounds) and Jae Crowder (12 points) also reached double figures, somehow nullifying Millsap’s singular effort.

STUD OF THE NIGHT: Paul Millsap, and then Marcus Smart.

After disappointing performances in the first three games of the series, Millsap was simply unstoppable. Before the series, many expected Millsap to be the X-factor and the best player on the floor, and Sunday night he proved why. He was great in the low post, great from mid-range, and great from 3. Stevens threw everything he had at him, short of doubling, and nothing worked. That was until Smart decided to have the fourth quarter of his life. Smart played tremendous defense on Millsap in the post, and then dominated on the offensive end. During one stretch, Marcus had a baseline slam, followed by two consecutive 3-pointers. Smart did almost everything for the Celtics down the stretch, but his defense on Millsap was simply outstanding.

DUD OF THE NIGHT: Jared Sullinger.

Sully didn’t play as poorly as Celtics Twitter would suggest, but he certainly did not have his best performance. In 17 minutes, he only grabbed six rebounds and scored two points.

VINE OF THE NIGHT:

WHINE OF THE NIGHT: Celtics offense sans Isaiah.

When Thomas was on the bench to start the second and fourth quarters, the Celtics were physically unable to put the proverbial biscuit in the basket. If the Celtics want to win this series, Thomas may need to play 48 minutes per game.

STAT OF THE NIGHT: Minus-16.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Marcus Smart leads Celtics to overtime victory

ESPNBOSTON

Chris Forsberg

BOSTON -- Marcus Smart's breakout night might have saved the Boston Celtics' season.

Smart scored 13 of his 20 points after halftime, spearheaded a key fourth-quarter sequence that helped the Celtics get to overtime, and took on the challenge of defending previously unstoppable Paul Millsap while helping the Celtics emerge with a 104-95 triumph over the Atlanta Hawks in Game 4 of an Eastern Conference first-round series at TD Garden.

The series is tied at 2. Game 5 is Tuesday night in Atlanta.

Some highlights from a wild night in Boston:

• Millsap's big night: Millsap, quiet through the first three games of the series, broke out with a monster 45-point, 13-rebound performance. He scored 26 points on 11-of-16 shooting in the first half (and finished 19 of 31 overall). Millsap spearheaded an early third-quarter run that pushed Atlanta's lead as high as 16 and sapped the arena's energy. The Celtics had no answer for Millsap, throwing all their big bodies at him before settling on Smart late in the fourth quarter.

• Jerebko shoots them back into it: Boston responded with a third-quarter charge in which Jonas Jerebko, who elevated to a starting role before Friday's Game 3 win, hit a pair of 3-pointers that turned what had been a double-digit deficit into a one-possession game headed to the fourth frame. A couple more Jerebko buckets to start the final frame thrust Boston ahead and set up a wild back-and-forth finish. Jerebko finished with 16 points on 6-of-9 shooting.

• Smart's breakout night: Marcus Smart, who has struggled all season long with his shot, had a sequence in which he scored 11 straight points -- an out-of-control and-one layup, a baseline dunk, and a pair of 3-pointers -- and almost reduced the Garden to rubble as the Celtics sneaked back ahead. Jeff Teague, who had previously been 1-of-11 on 3-pointers, hit a pair of 3-pointers in the final minute to put the Hawks ahead 92-90.

• Atlanta's lost opportunity: Unfazed, Brad Stevens put the ball in the hands of Isaiah Thomas, who ran a simple pick-and-roll action with Smart, before charging at the hoop for a layup that tied the game with 15 seconds to play. The Hawks took the clock down, but Teague lost the ball going up with a final shot attempt.

Back to top Go down

NBA PLAYOFFS 2016 POST GAME ATLANTA - HOME GAME #4 Empty Re: NBA PLAYOFFS 2016 POST GAME ATLANTA - HOME GAME #4

Post by 112288 Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:10 pm

2 Wins and counting! This game will really help the Celtics attract free agents even if they lose the series.

For the most part, the Celtics are winning on grit rather then talent.

Just a great effort......LET'S GO CELTICS!

Back to top Go down

NBA PLAYOFFS 2016 POST GAME ATLANTA - HOME GAME #4 Empty Re: NBA PLAYOFFS 2016 POST GAME ATLANTA - HOME GAME #4

Post by bobc33 Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:01 pm

Four Celtics logged over 40 minutes, good move by Brad we needed it.

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:06 am

Amazing game.  Had to record it and watch it hours later.  Every other second I wanted to smash the tv or jump out of my skin.  They went on a run, we went on a run, and back and forth again and again.  So many heroic shots from Jerebko, Smart, Turner and IT.  We have a bunch of players who shine in the clutch and that's what you need.  There were some bone-headed turnovers and wide open missed shots that drove me nuts too.  And lately I get a sense of dread every time Sully puts up a shot. Really thought he'd be more of an offensive contributor.  He seems to be just a rebounder.  But a gutsy, gutsy win.  Milsap made more shots (19) than the entire rest of his team (18).  Maybe Michael Jordan did that once or twice but I don't think I've seen that any other time.  He shot 61.3%, the other Hawks shot 26.1% (18 for 61).  

And I can't remember the Celtics ever winning playoff games (two of them now) with three second round picks in the starting front line.  Maybe there was one sometime that they won but in my memory we've always had at least one big time player (sometimes three!) in the starting front court for the playoffs.  But to win post-season games starting Jae, Jerebko and Amir?  That's pretty remarkable.  And the horse we rode in on is a munchkin.  A tiny, often-discarded-by-other-teams 60th pick in the draft. Quite a story.  Now we gotta steal one in the land of the peaches.  And break their hearts.  Gotta keep the streak going of Atlanta having never won a playoff series against the C's.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:48 am

Some where I mentioned in another thread about putting Smart on Milshap... i was shot down as he is too small. All I can say is BULLSHIT now.......

Marcus Smart’s final line as primary defender: Hawks were 1-of-10 shooting, 2 points, 2 TO. (Baze 0-3, Korver 0-1, Thabo 0-1, Millsap 1-5)

I believe he is SMALLER than all of these guys some considerably so.

We do not win that game without everyone contributing but we most certainly don't win it without Smarts timely DEFENSE, say nothing about his offense, shooting rebounding and passing.

And the +- stat.............he was +24 and the ONLY other player above +10 was IT at +21. Millshap as great a game he had was only a +2

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:53 am

OMG, Marcus guarded Milsap into offensive oblivion. How is that possible. Brad certainly has a blueprint for victory going forward - put Marcus on whomever has the hot hand for the opposing team. What a force of nature he was last night. Kudos also to IT, Evan, and Jonas. Ahh, Jonas, what a contributor!!!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:59 am

Hi,
Great win. 2nd game where Celtics had mental superiority over Atl.
One thing I don't understand: why Sully is on the floor? I understand that KO is injured and can't produce much. But what about Micky - he can't be worse than Sully. IMO no one can, even Young would be better. What a disgrace.
Kudos to Brad. He turned the team upside down or whatever it's called but he made them winning.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:59 am

Young would be stretching the point, Sinus. That said, why not Mickey?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:53 am

What a game, you couldn't script this, was such an exciting game, you saw Celtic Pride all over that floor, players emerged as keepers and building blocks. The game was far from perfect, but we hustled hard all over the floor, refusing to lose on our homecourt.

Marcus Smart is an unconventional player who really doesn't have a position, but can impact the game so many ways with his force of nature game and the great news is I see him getting alot better and better as this kid exudes a worker and grinder, hes obviously not a fat slob like our former starting center. Kid is beyond tough and I've never seen a player so willing to sacrifice his body, he can fall hard right flat on his back and jump up and get right back in your face, like he did last game before. Its obvious to me at 6'4" 225, this kid could easily be a LB in the NFL or a world class MMA fighter. His shot is going to get better, his drives/finishing are getting better and were on full display at the most crucial part of the game, he just took over and stopped the opposing offensive force who was having a career night and torching everybody on the other end too!!! maybe he can start doing my laundry from the bench while hes resting? Seriously could he do any more or have a bigger impact? and hes a team player, he is a willing passer, watch him battle in paint, kid is so strong and tenacious, he just fights and competes and bangs....and hes gonna get better. Well that was some dramatic coming out party.

Jerebko came through so many times with the best game I've ever seen him play, with his defensive versatility, we have got to keep him and give him Sully and KO's minutes going forward as those guys haven't done shit this series, so you go with what works and right now its not working for Sully and KO. IT is tough as nails, came through in the clutch, is growing into a legit playoff performer, we don't get this win without the effort of ET, Amir and Crowder all battling their heart out too. I'm very proud of this young team, they are battlers that fight hard till the better end.

Last edited by cowens/oldschool on Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:59 am

Very proud of them too Cow. Such mental and physical toughness on display throughout the entire season. KO is an aberration because he lacks the virility that his teammates exude, and Sully lacks the drive.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:05 pm

worcester wrote:Very proud of them too Cow. Such mental and physical toughness on display throughout the entire season. KO is an aberration because he lacks the virility that his teammates exude, and Sully lacks the drive.

I was Sullys biggest fan, but its obvious to me the team is going to be making changes and the team is better going forward without both Sully and KO.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:07 pm

Yep.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:52 pm

Steve3344,

Your comment was the best..."And break their hearts!" Loved that. While this has turned into a great series, as it should, if we do not break their hearts Tuesday, all both teams would have done is hold home court. And we are running out of games to change that.

If any team can win a Game 7 on the road, it's the Celtics. But that will be asking a little much of this team. Game 5 on the road, yeah, this team can do it.

The most telling play was ATL's last possession in regulation. That may be the tipping point and harbinger of things to come, let's hope. For a team looking to insert the dagger, ATL blew it big time. And the momentum is now ours. We'll know if 36 hours!

Great Celtic of old victory. These guys get it!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:56 pm

2-2.  That's all that matters.  Our crappy game in Atlanta only counts as a single loss.  The pressure is now on Atlanta.  They have to win the next game in Atlanta because they have seen what it is like in the Gahden when it's ROCKIN'!!!  They do NOT want to walk back into the Boston Buzzsaw in a win-or-enjoy-your-summer game 6.

We were down 16 with 7:28 left in the 3rd.  I thought it was slipping away at that point.  I forgot we're grinders.

Despite Millsap's career game we still outscored them in the paint.  They had 11 fast break points to our 7, and we still outscored them in the paint.

The Hawks are 0-6 in OT this year.  They scored 3 points in OT last night.

Kent Bazemore was 2-10, 1-6 from 3, and had the 2nd best +/- on the Hawks after Teague's +9.  Bazemore was a +7.  Numero uno, Jeff Teague, was 4-18 and 3-10 from 3.  Oh yeah, I love that +/- stat...

We were down and almost out, we came back and went up, we went down again and scored to make it to OT and then we blow torched them.  That's clutch.  That's ganas.  That's winning playoff basketball.  That's what will take us to the next level.  Sure, adding a key player will make a difference but it's a team game and you need to surround that player with players and this game, this series, is building those players.  Adding Kevin Durant or Al Horford to this team will produce a much bigger impact than adding them to LAL or Philly or any of the other teams that are young, just like we are too,  and don't know how to win because they've never earned the opportunity to learn how.  Every game in this series, win or lose, are gold nuggets and this one was a big one.

Aside from the fact that you have no chance, zero, of winning a championship if you don't make the playoffs the other plus from playing in a playoff series is you get to see who bubbles to the surface and who sinks like a rock.  You can watch film and see the increase in physicality but until you actually take a hit and not hear a whistle you can't really know the difference between the playoffs and the regular season.  Until you feel the pressure of knowing that the next few possessions are the difference between living to fight another day or the end of 6 months of effort, you cannot know.  Smart and Rozier, especially Smart, are growing before our very eyes.

The refs had an awful OT.  A couple of really bad calls.  One of them was incomprehensible.  A pass to Bazemore on the sideline was deflected by Turner.  It bounced off Bazemore's face out of bounds and they called it Atlanta ball.  Bazemore's head jerked back when he got hit and then he reached up and rubbed his nose where it hit him and they couldn't figure out that it hit him.  If we had lost the game I would be jumping out of my skin right now but instead I'm seeing a team that, not long time ago, would have had a mental meltdown because of those calls.  Last night they just kept ballin' and overcame it all.  That is a big deal too, a maturity moment.  That's playoff ball.

Bigger picture, we are playing better when we are playing small-ball.  When our ostensible centers (Sully, Kelly, Zeller) are out we do better than when they are in.  The new NBA, where speed and versatility is more valuable than mere size.  Granted those 3 aren't exactly all-stars, but still, we are better playing with speed and uptempo and that leaves them out...

Absolute Keepers (Game 3 ONLY)

Marcus Smart - THE game changer.  Offensively he scored 20 points on 7-15 and was an acceptable 3-8 from 3.  Two of those 3s were clutch, clutch, clutch with the 2nd one being absolutely icy.  A Hawk tried to run him off the arc.  He just waited for him to fly by and then calmly took the shot.  Defensively, what can you say?  Brad put player after player on Paul Millsap to try and just slow him down and he tore them all new assholes until Brad picked up and threw the Marcus Smart dart.  That was just unbelievable man-to-man defense on a player who was having the game of his life and who is at least 4" and 20# bigger than him.  I don't know exactly when Smart was assigned to defend Millsap, but I do know that Millsap's offense almost dried up.  Smart defended Millsap for the entire OT and Millsap was 0-2 in OT.  The Hawks took 8 fgas and their go-to guy who took 31% of their total fgas, took only 2.  That is great deny defense there.  There is no way, in my opinion, we would have won if Brad hadn't switched the defensive assignment on Millsap and put Smart on him.  

Isaiah Thomas - 28 points on 11-23.  He has figured it out.

Jonas Jerebko - Another above-the-norm by the Swede.  His 2nd double-double in a row.  He has responded outstandingly to being given the starting nod.  You can see how pumped up he is.  He is everywhere.

Good, but not locks

Evan Turner - I was considering putting him into the higher category but his 7-19 shooting and 4 TOs put me off.  He was, nevertheless very instrumental in our win.  He's a glue guy.

Amir Johnson - Another glue guy.  9 rebounds and 3 blocks in only 28 minutes.  He couldn't stay in front of Millsap, but nobody could or did until Smart.  He had a chase down block to stop a fast break that we needed badly.

NOT BIG game players

Jared Sullinger - His father Satch was in the stands and you could see him doing palm slaps to his head.  Unbelievable.  Another 1-7 stinker.  He worked his fat ass off to get an offensive rebound and then blew the bunny.  He has just fallen off the table.

Absolute Keepers (Series-to-date)

Marcus Smart - I'm moving him up into this category because he has had 3 solid games out of 4.  The only game where he stunk the joint up was the same game where everybody else stunk the joint up, game 2.  So, he was in bad company.  Last night's game was a real eye-popper.  I'm looking for players who step up, players whose games are as good or better in the playoffs than in the regular season and Smart is showing me that.  He is 16-42 (38%) in the playoffs and 9-24 (37.5%) from 3 in the playoffs.  His eFG% in the playoffs is 48.8%.  His eFG% for the regular season was 40.5%.  THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!  However shitty his shooting was in the regular season, and he was the worst shooter in the NBA, he has significantly upped that part of his game in the playoffs.  Defensively, well, when he isn't launching himself into space like Sputnik, thinking that the refs are stupid enough not to know the rep he has earned himself, he's playing pretty good defense.  Last night's effort, in particular, was flat off-the-hook.  Marcus Smart is showing himself to be a big game player, and that's what we need if we are to compete for a championship again.

Jonas Jerebko - I'm moving him up into this category because of solid performances coming off the bench in games 1 and 2 and significantly elevated performances in games 3 and 4.  He heard the fire alarm go off and he has responded.  His eFG% in the playoffs is 53%, it was 48.8% during the season.  His /minute rebounding is way up, 11.0 rebounds/36mpg playoffs vs 8.8 rebounds/36mpg regular season.  And those numbers include his 1-6, 2 point game 1.  Defensively he is really showing off his versatility and motor.  He is an energizer bunny.  Throw his very affordable $5M salary, and he's a keeper.

Isaiah Thomas - The #1 scorer in the playoffs to-date.  After 2 sub-par games he has responded well.  The key to whether he stays up here is how well he does in Atlanta on Tuesday.  Leaders deliver on the road, in front of hostile crowds and unsympathetic refs.

Good, but not locks

Amir Johnson - Very solid performances by Amir.  He is our defensive anchor.  The reason why he is here and not higher is because he costs $12M.  Otherwise, he has upped his game too.  His 59.6% regular season eFG% has increased to 67.9%.  His 1.7 blocks/36mpg regular season has gone up to 2.8/36mpg in the playoffs.  His 10.1 rebounds/36mpg regular season has gone up to 11.3/36mpg.  Even his abysmal 59.6% regular season frito percentage has gone up to 66.7%.  He has upped his game, and that's what you want.

Jae Crowder - It's hard to figure out where to put this key member of our team.  His game has obviously been off, especially on the offense where he has become a liability, but he has that ankle sprain and it has taken a toll on him.  It wouldn't be fair to dump on him, but I can't give him credit for things he isn't doing anymore.

Evan Turner - Solid performances.  I'm not even going to look at his stats because he's providing needed glue and is playing a HUGE role by taking the ball handling and floor general duties away from IT, allowing IT to run wild and shoot.  IT's game has gotten much better after Brad simplified it and Brad was able to do it because Turner took the load off him.  No Turner, stats or no, no wins.  Could we get the job done with another player next year?  Probably, he isn't so good at anything he is indispensable and irreplaceable, but he's doing it this year.

Terry Rozier - Not a good game by him last night but he has shown enough so far to remain in this category.

NOT BIG game players

Jared freaking Sullinger - Another stinker, but I repeat myself.  Unbelievable.  I never would have expected this.  I would have thought he'd be feasting on the more finesse-type Al Horford.  I have said that Smart and Rozier are growing before our very eyes.  So is Sully.  He now has his own zip code.  When you say that "Sully made the player pay for coming into the paint" now what we mean is that they had to hail a cab to get around him.  He is slow, he is immobile and he is completely ineffective on both ends of the court.  He is shooting 28.6% playoffs-to-date.

We are seeing real progress here.  We still don't have the roster we need to take us much further, even with Bradley and Kelly healthy, but the experience we are gaining here is worth its weight in gold.  Our young team is not only learning about the difference between regular season games and playoff games they are learning what it takes to win playoff games. It would have been very easy for them to fold in game 3, when the Hawks came back from 20 down, and to fold last night when they went down by 16 in the 3rd and were down 2 with seconds left in regulation.

At the beginning of the season we all agreed that making it to the 2nd round would be the milestone that defined a "successful season" for this team.  The loss of Bradley and injuries limiting our best 3pt shooter, Kelly, and key defensive player Jae Crowder have impacted our ability to achieve that goal.  We are now guaranteed to go at least 6 in this series, and we're doing it while limping along with a damaged roster.  We won two games in Boston, holding our home court, and we won the 2nd one despite a career best game from Millsap (probably the highest scoring game in the playoffs-to-date).  We figured out how to win.  I still want to make the 2nd round but I'm realistic about our chances, barring a miraculous faith-healing by Bradley but if we don't make it out of this round we should still feel pretty good of how we are handling the playoffs this year everything considering.  

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:34 pm

"I have said that Smart and Rozier are growing before our very eyes. So is Sully. He now has his own zip code. When you say that "Sully made the player pay for coming into the paint" now what we mean is that they had to hail a cab to get around him."

So funny Bob. Such a great comedy writer.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:42 pm

I'm trying to figure out how to be at game 6..

Lebum James is already resting with his minions awaiting the outcome of our series, as great as it would be to see the Cs 2 more times this year live I'd rather us go in for the kill tomorrow...

Break their hearts? Sherman broke atlantas heart, I want Boston to do much worse.

Go Celtics!!
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:46 pm

Chris Forsberg
ESPN Staff Writer

Boston Celtics guard Marcus Smart's final defensive line: Hawks were 1-of-10 shooting when he was primary defender with 2 points, 2 turnovers. (Bazemore 0-3, Korver 0-1, Sefalosha 0-1, Millsap 1-5).

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:59 pm

This is the most interesting series by far; it really could go either way.

-Atlanta is an experienced team, so it's interesting to see Boston responding to a 0-2 deficit to knot the series.

-I admire the fact that effort was stepped up in spite of the loss of Bradley and what he brings to the table on both sides of the ball.

-I agree with what 112288 said about the Celtics winning on grit. Grinding out an overtime game in the playoffs is no easy feat.

-BobH NAILED it on Sully. I really think Sullinger is one of the more prominent weak links and should be moved ASAP. He isn't suited to the style of basketball the Celtics are playing. If he could only shoot 3s at a better clip MAYBE I could possibly consider a reconsideration on whether he ought to be traded or not.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:56 pm

Yes KJ, and if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle, but that's never gonna happen either.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down