willjr
bobc33
Outside
gyso
NYCelt
12 posters

Go down

What is your favorite kind of pie?

What is your favorite kind of pie? Vote_lcap21%What is your favorite kind of pie? Vote_rcap 21% 
[ 3 ]
What is your favorite kind of pie? Vote_lcap7%What is your favorite kind of pie? Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 1 ]
What is your favorite kind of pie? Vote_lcap14%What is your favorite kind of pie? Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 2 ]
What is your favorite kind of pie? Vote_lcap0%What is your favorite kind of pie? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
What is your favorite kind of pie? Vote_lcap0%What is your favorite kind of pie? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
What is your favorite kind of pie? Vote_lcap7%What is your favorite kind of pie? Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
What is your favorite kind of pie? Vote_lcap14%What is your favorite kind of pie? Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 2 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 14

What is your favorite kind of pie? Empty What is your favorite kind of pie?

Post by NYCelt Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:45 pm

We've done this one before.

At a time when a certain amount of monotony has entered into the daily conversation, it's time to choose a new topic.  

Too much draft guessing.  Time to take a poll with some real answers.  Vote for one.  You can explain why if you like.  Boston Cream Pie is a cake, so therefore not included as an option, although you could go with "other."

You can cancel and change your vote in this poll if you change your mind after going on a taste-testing binge.

Last edited by NYCelt on Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

What is your favorite kind of pie? Empty Re: What is your favorite kind of pie?

Post by NYCelt Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:48 pm

I went with Cranberry Apple.  Something about the tart taste of the cranberries with the sweet taste of the apples works for me.

Banana Cream would be a second choice.

Last edited by NYCelt on Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:53 pm

Blueberry #1

Cherry #2

ShooFly #3

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:00 pm

Apple, but I'm talking about my mom's apple pie, not the pretender you get at a restaurant or pie shop. I've learned to make the pie, but the crust is difficult to master. She's made hundreds of them, and I've only done a dozen or so. When it comes out just right, it's edible joy. And if you snooze, you lose, because with two older brothers, I learned early that they get a second piece later that night and get up early to have pie for breakfast. (Mom always made two pies. Gotta love mom.)

Strawberry is a close second. Mom's strawberry pie, of course. I never order apple pie because it will only be a slice of disappointment, but I've found pretty good strawberry pies at pie shops.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:17 pm

Coconut custard is my winner for pie, though it must be said if we expand beyond pies Rosalie's cheesecake is the clear winner!

I'm looking forward to a "bake off" between Matty and Rosalie some day. We all win if we have to sample and decide between their homemade cheesecake.

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:52 pm

Dutch apple
Pecan
Other...sweet potato!
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:04 pm

Thanks a lot nycelt

I've been on a low carb diet for just about a year, and now every day I'm going to have to view a list of my favorite off limits pies. YIKES

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:14 pm

I don't have one answer. During a celtic game? Kasekuchen!

Most any other time? My mom's pumpkin pie... or her apple pie... or aunt Bessie's sugar cream pie if I'm really feelin the need to go into a diabetic coma.... (actually no one knows who aunt Bessie is, it was my great grandmother's recipe she gave my mom. When she wrote it down it was called aunt Bessie's sugar cream pie. It would be my favorite but the sugar amount can make me sick after a single piece... 3 or 4 pieces and I'm making all sorts of promises to the big fella in the sky if he will help me get past this one last ordeal.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:44 pm

Blackberry and second isn't even close

My Grandma Wise made the best pies around and we'd go and pick blackberries and then hurry to her house so she could make a pie. Living in the country we had lots of blackberries around
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:35 pm

something is wrong I clicked 3 pies and none of them came out when I hit the button....I went with pumpkin, chocalate peanut butter and key lime pie, yum!!!!

and I gotta have a kona coffee to wash that down with!!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:05 am

I went with blueberry but in keeping with my thoughts on these matters I choose blackberry.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:04 am

I went hog wild.  I voted for:

Peach, Blueberry and Pecan.  All served a la mode.  The Peach and Pecan served warm.

Key Lime.  I got hit with an image of me near a beach eating key lime pie and a marguerita.

Pumpkin, for Autumn.

And I picked Other, for this:

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/crack-pie

I very rarely eat pie, so why not gorge myself here?  It's low-caloric!

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:35 am

So far apple leads over blackberry by 1.

We're going to need to get Outside's mom's recipe and BobH has decided he likes everything.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:49 am

Humble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWA6SOzHeCQ

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:11 pm

NYCelt wrote:We're going to need to get Outside's mom's recipe

From my cold, dead hands, sir, from my cold, dead hands. Partly, it's a family trade secret, and partly, it's like the artistry of a small craft brewery that cannot be replicated with a mere recipe and would be diminished by others attempting to copy it.

Truth is, it's a hit or miss prospect as it is. Whether it's the particular batch of apples or adding a dash more of this or pinch less of that, the pies don't arrive at magical perfection every time and are sometimes merely very good. A little liquid heaven oozing from a freshly cut slice is a hallmark of the pie, but it sometimes comes out a bit too soupy. Judging the moment when it's done is part of the art -- a few minutes too little and it's not quite there; a few minutes too many and it's a little mushy. Still tasty, but not at that perfect spot.

I'd rather have you over and serve you a slice. To me, there's no better way than with vanilla ice cream and a glass of milk, but we can accommodate however you like it -- a la mode, with cheese, or plain.

Not that I've overhyped it or anything.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:08 pm

Outside wrote:
NYCelt wrote:We're going to need to get Outside's mom's recipe

From my cold, dead hands, sir, from my cold, dead hands. Partly, it's a family trade secret, and partly, it's like the artistry of a small craft brewery that cannot be replicated with a mere recipe and would be diminished by others attempting to copy it.

Truth is, it's a hit or miss prospect as it is. Whether it's the particular batch of apples or adding a dash more of this or pinch less of that, the pies don't arrive at magical perfection every time and are sometimes merely very good. A little liquid heaven oozing from a freshly cut slice is a hallmark of the pie, but it sometimes comes out a bit too soupy. Judging the moment when it's done is part of the art -- a few minutes too little and it's not quite there; a few minutes too many and it's a little mushy. Still tasty, but not at that perfect spot.

I'd rather have you over and serve you a slice. To me, there's no better way than with vanilla ice cream and a glass of milk, but we can accommodate however you like it -- a la mode, with cheese, or plain.

Not that I've overhyped it or anything.

OK; clearly we're not getting that recipe!

But an invite over for a slice works.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:24 pm

Actually, I can give you the recipe, if you like. I was just having fun with it, and once "from my cold, dead hands" popped into my head, off I went. The crust is hard to get right, there is an element of artistry, and I did want to convey the feeling of reverence the family has for mom's apple pie, but it's just a recipe, not the formula for Coke.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:28 pm

Apple pie for 11" Pyrex pie dish

12 heaping cups pared, sliced Granny Smith apples
Sugar mixture
2 cups sugar
4 tbsp cornstarch
1.5 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp lemon juice
2 tbsp butter
Egg white
Sugar to sprinkle

Blend sugar mixture ingredients with a fork.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Put bottom crust on pie plate. Arrange half of apple slices and half of sugar mixture, then add second half of slices and sugar mixture. Dot butter over filling.

Put top crust over pie, trim edges, fold under bottom edge, press edges together, flute edges with fingers. Poke top crust all over with a fork.

Beat egg white until frothy and brush onto crust. Sprinkle with sugar.

Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes until crust turns brown. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for an additional 40-45 minutes. Test for doneness with an ice pick or skewer; apples should be completely cooked when poked.

Crust for a two-crust pie

2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup shortening (Crisco)
6 tbsp ice water (maybe 5? got too sticky with 6)

Put flour and salt in mixing bowl, stir together with a fork. Blend Crisco into mixture with a pastry blender 1/4 cup at a time until mixture has particles the size of large peas. Sprinkle ice water 1 tbsp at a time and blend with a fork. Use a light hand; rough handling toughens the crust.

Gather dough together and press into a ball. Divide in half for a two-crust pie. Place pastry cloth on a hard surface and sift lightly with flour. Place half the dough on the cloth and press out with lightly floured hands to flatten. Cup hands around flattened dough to smooth edges.

Use a rolling pin with a lightly floured cloth to roll into a circle until 3 inches wider than the pie plate. Always roll from the center out. While rolling, periodically lift and replace dough to ensure that it is free-rolling. Cut excess from edges, place over edge gaps, and roll to merge together. If the dough tears, cut a piece from the edge, place over the tear, and work the patch in with the rolling pin.

Fold dough in half to place on the pie plate, then unfold onto entire plate. Push the dough gently with fingertips from the edge of the plate so that the dough covers the contour of the plate without air pockets underneath. Use a knife to trim 1/2 inch from edge of pie plate.

Repeat with second half of dough for top crust. After adding filling, place top crust over pie. Use a knife to trim top crust, and fold top crust under edge of bottom crust and press with fingers to form a standing collar around the pie. Use fingers to form the collar into a fluted, scalloped edge.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:37 pm

Outside,

I didn't want to badger you into it, but thanks for providing the recipe!

I also was having a little fun with you on this one...I really don't cook.  My wife, however, is a talented cook.  My limitation is the grill.  If you got it, I can grill it, but other than that my only claims to culinary fame are French toast and meatballs.  No recipe for either; pinch of this, dash of that.

I will forward the apple pie recipe to my wife, however, and let you know if she attempts it.  I'm now very happy I started this thread!

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:14 pm

NYCelt,

Meatballs on French toast sounds a little odd, so I can see why you let your wife do the cooking Wink

If your better culinary half gives the recipe a try, let me know if she needs a little guidance. I'd be happy to help as best I can. Spreading joy around the world one pie at a time.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:33 pm

Outside,

To be clear, which I'm often not and guess I wasn't, that's French toast and meatballs but not together!

I'll let you know if my (much) better half attempts the pie!

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down