Like father, like son: Former Boston Celtics draft pick Colton Iverson holding on to NBA dream

4 posters

Go down

Like father, like son: Former Boston Celtics draft pick Colton Iverson holding on to NBA dream Empty Like father, like son: Former Boston Celtics draft pick Colton Iverson holding on to NBA dream

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:15 am

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/06/like_father_like_son_former_bo.html

Like father, like son: Former Boston Celtics draft pick Colton Iverson holding on to NBA dream

Like father, like son: Former Boston Celtics draft pick Colton Iverson holding on to NBA dream 20593592-mmmain
Colton Iverson, left, withKelly Olynyk, shortly after the 2013 NBA Draft. (AP Photo/Steven Senne)

Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com

on June 17, 2016 at 7:45 AM, updated June 17, 2016 at 7:48 AM

BOSTON -- There's a neat story about Colton Iverson's father, Chuck, who was drafted by two professional basketball teams but never played for either one. He says the ABA's Memphis Tams were willing to offer him a contract, but told him the deal would not stand if he decided to try out for the Seattle Supersonics. The Supersonics had selected him in the fifth round of the 1973 NBA Draft, and they featured a coach by the name of Bill Russell.

Chuck Iverson knew he might not make the Supersonics, but called a lawyer friend anyway to learn options to escape a contract he had signed to become a teacher. This was before the days of big-money professional basketball deals; the drafts were such a minor event, compared to the way the NBA Draft is now, that Iverson did not know he had been chosen in one of them until his brother informed him. Still, Iverson wanted to continue playing basketball and determine if he could make it in the NBA. And Bill Russell was his hero.

"I'd rather get cut by Bill Russell," the current Mount Marty College athletic director says now, "than make it in Memphis."

Iverson was indeed cut by Bill Russell, but not before rubbing toes with the legend. The tryout featured so much conditioning work that, more than 40 years later, Iverson can still remember how his legs felt after doing jumping jacks on his toes for 15 consecutive minutes. During one scrimmage, Russell approached Iverson before a jump ball and asked whether Iverson was tired. He was exhausted from all the running but refused to admit it to the greatest winner in basketball history.

The story is relevant now because Colton Iverson, like his father many years ago, hopes to latch on with an NBA team. Drafted three years ago by the Boston Celtics, the 7-footer began his professional career in Spain and spent this past season in Turkey. Playing for Karsiyaka, he showed enough improvement that Austin Ainge, the Celtics director of player personnel, believes Iverson has outgrown the NBA summer league.

"He's played so well in Europe, he's priced himself out of that market," Ainge said recently. "He's going to get big, big offers -- kind of like last year (at summer league) where he had to leave early because he got so much money. And he's played even better this year. He's having a great career."

At some point, Iverson hopes that career will take him to the NBA. One issue: the Celtics still hold his rights. With an absurd eight draft picks on top of their current players, they won't have much (or any) roster space unless they undergo a complete overhaul this summer.

According to Iverson's agent, Adam Pensack, other NBA teams have inquired about the center's availability, but a trade would be needed to send Iverson elsewhere. If he does get a shot, he would likely need to accept a pay cut from the money he would make overseas.

"That's what it's starting to sound like, so that kind of hurts," Iverson said recently. "But you can't put a price tag on playing in the NBA. That's just been my dream since I can remember. So I really hope there's an opportunity, and if that opportunity comes I'm going to for sure make the most of it. And I'm going to prove to them that I deserve to be there. I'm hoping that will be the next step, but if not there will be very lucrative offers overseas also.

"Everybody recognizes what I did, and I'm ready for the next step. We're just kind of hoping, waiting, seeing. I think we did enough that I don't have to prove myself in summer league this year."

"It was a little bit of a bummer knowing that I had to go overseas (initially)," Iverson added. "Boston told me they wanted to draft me, they were going to go out of their way to draft me (by trading cash to acquire the draft pick they used on him). They kind of made it sound like, OK, one year overseas. And it's been three years now. And I think I've just made a really good adjustment. There is really good players and really good contracts in Europe so I'm making the most of it. But also at the same time I want to make it to the NBA. You learn every year, every country is a little bit different, every team is a little bit different, but you just always have to keep your mind open, your thoughts open, and just do your job which is playing basketball."

Iverson said he believes the Celtics are "making the right moves," and he doesn't blame them for the fact he has yet to receive an NBA opportunity.

"They're putting together a really good team and they're establishing themselves, and they've got a good foundation right now. So I understand their roster situation," he said. "They have a ton of draft picks. I'm hoping I get my shot or my opportunity, but if not I'll just keep working hard to get to where I need to be. And hopefully another team or Boston will finally make a move."

bob
MY NOTE:  I thought Iverson has had good summer leagues every year he has played in them.  I've been surprised when he wasn't ever invited to camp.  IF Sully doesn't come back next year, we are going to need a banger to replace him.  Iverson doesn't have Sully's offensive game, he's a Timofey Mozgov type of player, but damn, can he bang.  I realize this is just fluff but I remember Austin Ainge, saying of Colton Iverson, "he's so strong he hurts you just walking past you".  The day of the dinosaur is past, the rumor is that Philly isn't getting the type of offers on #3 pick, and  dinosaur, Jahlil Okafur they'd like, but there is room for at least one of them on a roster like there was room for a Jim Loscutoff or Reggie Evans or Mozgov.  With Sully and his conditioning issues, as well as him being a free agent and probably getting a lot more money (despite his conditioning issues) Iverson might be a cheap dinosaur.  Austin Ainge says that Iverson has improved to where he is no longer summer league material.  That means he is better than all but the top summer league players, those that are 1st round picks and locks to make a team, and D-League All-Stars.  If that is true, he might be ready to make a run for an NBA roster.

Btw, to reinforce the importance of perspective, both of those men in the picture are seven feet tall.  They just look normal there.  If you saw them in real life they would be, by far, the biggest men you've ever seen.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Like father, like son: Former Boston Celtics draft pick Colton Iverson holding on to NBA dream Empty Re: Like father, like son: Former Boston Celtics draft pick Colton Iverson holding on to NBA dream

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:04 pm

I always liked what I saw of Iverson It is too bad that he has not been able to catch on with the Celtics.
Would they be willing to just cut/waive his rights so that someone could bring him into camp, since they do not seem to want him.

What has ever become of Greg Steisma? I know Minny let him go, he was either with Charlotte or one of those other teams N/O, or some team like that. It goes to show you just how hard it is to make the NBA. I wish they could find a way to give this kid a legitimate shot.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Like father, like son: Former Boston Celtics draft pick Colton Iverson holding on to NBA dream Empty Re: Like father, like son: Former Boston Celtics draft pick Colton Iverson holding on to NBA dream

Post by wideclyde Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:52 pm

I can understand that Ainge will not just "let this guy's rights go" because he may still have some value.

But, why not invite him to camp every year if he is still their property? If he has truly improved, he might just surprise them.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:26 pm

worth a look in camp, I don't think any big could play worse than Sully did in this years playoffs, as far as I'm concerned he played his way OFF the team.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down