kdp59
jrleftfoot
beat
bobc33
dboss
NYCelt
11 posters

Go down

Post Game Thread - vs San Antonio Spurs, Utah Summer League Game 3 Empty Post Game Thread - vs San Antonio Spurs, Utah Summer League Game 3

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:56 pm

http://www.nba.com/games/20160707/BOSSAS/gameinfo.html

We had a 15 point lead and they went on a 18-4 run in the last 5 minutes of the 2nd.  Nevertheless, we played without Brown and Hunter.  Anderson had a field day getting to the rim.  He wouldn't have had it so easy if Brown played.

Monster game by Rozier.  He is ready.  23 points on 8-15, 7 assists and 4 TOs.

Young looking like he might stick on the roster.  Much to my surprise.

Yabu looked good.  8 points and 7 boards.

Scott Souza
‏@Scott_Souza
News out of Utah there may be place w/ #Celtics for the "Big Dancing Bear" this year after all. #GuerschonYabusele

Nader has a nose for the rim, not that it matters.

Bentil needs to work on his defense.

bob

Last edited by bobheckler on Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post Game Thread - vs San Antonio Spurs, Utah Summer League Game 3 Empty Re: Post Game Thread - vs San Antonio Spurs, Utah Summer League Game 3

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:06 pm

Jared Weiss
@CLNS_JaredWeiss 2 minutes ago
Terry Rozier: "With Evan Turner not signing back to us, we need somebody to step up and I need to be that guy." #Celtics

Reply Retweet Like

https://t.co/v9qrItheWL

Marc D'Amico
@celtics 4 minutes ago
Rozier says he was "gassed," but Danny Ainge came and whispered in his ear, "I don't care how tired you are. You've got to shoot the ball."

Reply Retweet Like

Marc D'Amico
Marc D'Amico
@celtics about 9 minutes ago
Micah Shrewsberry says that Jordan Mickey will meet the Celtics in Las Vegas but he's unsure what Mickey's availability will be.

Reply Retweet Like

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post Game Thread - vs San Antonio Spurs, Utah Summer League Game 3 Empty Re: Post Game Thread - vs San Antonio Spurs, Utah Summer League Game 3

Post by dboss Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:17 pm

ok

Rosier is our backup point guard.  There you go.  He is much better than I thought he would be.  He may be the quickest guard off the dribble that I can recall.  He gets into the paint almost at will and can kick it out to open shooters.  He has the blow by jets.  There is quite a bit of talent here.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:57 pm

Rozier starting to show some of the talent and grit you knew he had. Showing the speed he constantly displayed for the Cardinals. Backcourt is looking good.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:59 am

I have to keep reminding myself this is just summer league.  Most of these players won't even get an invitation to camp, much less make the team.  Players in their 2nd year, like Trey Lyles and Kyle Anderson, look head-and-shoulders better than their teammates and they will barely get off the bench during the year (ok, Lyles might).

Any 2nd year player who doesn't shine and dominate in summer league has a problem.

Terry Rozier is doing what he needs to do.  He is the best player on the floor for us, as he should be.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:09 am

Rosier said after the game that he expects to be in the rotation since Turner is gone.  He showed some skills last year but he seemed to be holding back.  Played very conservatively.  Now he looks comfortable running the offense.  Yes I know it is just summer league but it is good to see his development.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:32 am

dboss wrote:Rosier said after the game that he expects to be in the rotation since Turner is gone.  He showed some skills last year but he seemed to be holding back.  Played very conservatively.  Now he looks comfortable running the offense.  Yes I know it is just summer league but it is good to see his development.

dboss

Rozier also said last year that he was playing conservatively so as to no step on the toes of the veterans, like Turner.

Smart was a rarity in firing away without conscience as a rookie, though he did shoot 34% from 3 as a rookie.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:18 pm

Hi. I`m new here but a Celtic fan since Russell days and have been lurking on this site for years. Yabusele looks like he could fill Sullinger`s role if he departs .Looks like the Celtics may have to get a lot of their rebounding from the guards , though.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:22 pm

jrleftfoot wrote:Hi. I`m new here but a Celtic fan since Russell days and have been lurking on this site for years. Yabusele looks like he could fill Sullinger`s role if he departs .Looks like the Celtics may have to get a lot of their rebounding from the guards , though.

Welcome to the board.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:31 pm

jrleftfoot wrote:Hi. I`m new here but a Celtic fan since Russell days and have been lurking on this site for years. Yabusele looks like he could fill Sullinger`s role if he departs .Looks like the Celtics may have to get a lot of their rebounding from the guards , though.

Hi Jrleftfoot.  Should we call you 'Jr', or 'Lefty' or...?  Welcome to the board.

I'm not sure Yabusele is quite NBA-ready.  One year more in Europe might be good for him.  Invite him to camp, let him see what it will take to play with the big boys, give him his homework assignments for the year and then send him home.  ALSO, by sending him to Europe it defers the date his rookie contract starts.  That leaves more salary flexibility for Danny next year.

Maybe Colton Iverson could fill the Sully role?

Once again, welcome to the board.  I look forward to reading more of your thoughts.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:35 pm

Welcome aboard!

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:58 pm

Like voting

Post early and often !!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:33 am

Thanks, Beat. I am severely technologically challenged, so I am not quite sure how to put up an icon . Hopefully, I`ll figure it all out though. I have some pretty good pictures of that Russell guy, and some of his cohorts, back in the day-- not taken by me. I decided to try to interact with a more congenial group when a guy on the Red`s army site started bitching about Reggie Lewis having his number retired. His argument was that Reggie and Len Bias had ruined the Celtics in the 90s -- early 21st century.  I felt like reducing the unspeakably early death of two vibrant young men to the effects of their deaths on a sports team was incredibly callous and frankly, stupid. I guess this could turn into my first Sam` s Forum argument. I am generally fairly affable though
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:44 am

Thanks for the welcome ,everybody. I`m not sure about Yabusele either and Iverson is way bigger, but if he was any good, wouldn`t they have brought him home by now? Frankly , I was surprised that they didn`t take a longer look at the 3rd first round pick, whose name escapes me. Maybe his current contract isn`t immediately breakable?
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:13 am

jrleftfoot wrote:Thanks for the welcome ,everybody. I`m not sure about Yabusele either and Iverson is way bigger, but if he was any good, wouldn`t they have brought him home by now? Frankly , I was surprised that they didn`t take a  longer look at the 3rd first round pick, whose name escapes me. Maybe his current contract isn`t immediately breakable?

Welcome. Yeah Zizic should be on the roster. And when Danny traded pick 31 (and 35), he passed up another great young Eastern European center, who played awesome tonight for the ... Lakers! Dude looks like a young Marc Gasol.

I like Yabusele, but Danny has a blind spot for centers. In 2009 or 2010 we lost because Perk got hurt, and Danny didn't draft DeAndre Jordan the summer before. Then later Danny trades Perk, and the season falls apart because of center depth.

Last summer Danny tried to trade up to pick 4, not to draft Porzingis but Justise Winslow. Then he tried to trade up to pick 9, not to draft Myles Turner but Justise Winslow. Luckily Rozier is looking like a great pick at 16. This year he finally drafts a real center in Zizic, only to force him to stay in Europe. Then Danny passes on Zubac and trades away the pick, only to see him land with the lakers with the next pick.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:19 am

Steven Zimmerman is another good big man Danny passed on in the second round. Mobile, great rebounder and defender, and decent shot out to 3 point line. Magic got him.

Here's some Henry Ellenson highlights, a guy Danny passed on to take Yabusele

And here's Thon Maker's highlights from his first game today. Danny would have had to use pick #3 for him, and even though I had Thon ranked just above Jaylen Brown, I'm not sure if even I would have had the balls to take him and face the (temporary) fan backlash:
14 points (5-14 FGs, 0-4 3PT, 5-7FTs), 13 rebounds and 2 blocks
I watched the game, and Thon looks like the best conditioned big in the NBA by a mile. Stops fast breaks single handedly, closes out on threes like the Flash, can cover guards in space, and can sky for the blocks. And that doesn't even include his offense...

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:13 am

bobheckler wrote:

Hi Jrleftfoot.  Should we call you 'Jr', or 'Lefty' or...?  Welcome to the board.

I'm not sure Yabusele is quite NBA-ready.  One year more in Europe might be good for him.  Invite him to camp, let him see what it will take to play with the big boys, give him his homework assignments for the year and then send him home.  ALSO, by sending him to Europe it defers the date his rookie contract starts.  That leaves more salary flexibility for Danny next year.

Once again, welcome to the board.  I look forward to reading more of your thoughts.

bob

or
maybe

Sully fills the Sully role.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:48 am

kdp59 wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

bob

or
maybe

kdp,

Maybe, but I think not.  Here's my reasoning:

1.  Sully wants, and may receive, a big payday.  That makes Yabusele's $3.8M rookie contract look very good.  Btw, for the record, I believe his name is pronounced Yabu-seh-LAY, with the accent on the last syllable.  Like 'Oil of Olay' or, for Cajun music lovers, Beausoleil.

2.  He'll also want a multi-year contract.  Danny will want to retain his salary cap flexibility for next year so, unless he can get Sully at a very attractive $, he won't be inclined to offer him that multi-year contract.  He wants another max agent next year.

3.  He has repeatedly said that Sully's conditioning has been an issue.  That issue was certainly not addressed last year.

4.  Sully is a restricted free agent with a qualified offer submitted.  So, Danny owns him unless/until someone outbids him.  If he knew, or strongly suspected, that Sully would be back because nobody would outbid him then why would he say that we "need a stronger center"?  That statement there hints to me that Danny knows something we don't about Sully's fate.

We had 5 loose ends.  One of them, Evan Turner, that tied up somewhere else.  Amir and Jonas' options have been picked up.  That only leaves Sully and Zeller who could be gone if we renounce rights to them or do a sign-and-trade.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:07 pm

I just realized that Zizic, being forced to stay in Europe this year, might just stay over there an extra two years after that, where he can make more money each year, and then sign with the Celtics for market rate, 10+ million per year rather than a rinky dink 4 year 5 million dollar total contract.

Danny is shooting himself in the foot here, and we should hope Yabusele stays this year or he might pull the same thing.

Dario Saric said he is coming to PHI this year, but now there's talk he's going to stay in Europe for one more year, after watching the crazy contracts being handed out like candy this summer.

Does Danny really think these guys are excited to make less than in Europe, and be locked in for four years? Hell no.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:23 pm

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:38 pm

bobheckler wrote:
kdp59 wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

bob

or
maybe

kdp,

Maybe, but I think not.  Here's my reasoning:

1.  Sully wants, and may receive, a big payday.  That makes Yabusele's $3.8M rookie contract look very good.  Btw, for the record, I believe his name is pronounced Yabu-seh-LAY, with the accent on the last syllable.  Like 'Oil of Olay' or, for Cajun music lovers, Beausoleil.

2.  He'll also want a multi-year contract.  Danny will want to retain his salary cap flexibility for next year so, unless he can get Sully at a very attractive $, he won't be inclined to offer him that multi-year contract.  He wants another max agent next year.

3.  He has repeatedly said that Sully's conditioning has been an issue.  That issue was certainly not addressed last year.

4.  Sully is a restricted free agent with a qualified offer submitted.  So, Danny owns him unless/until someone outbids him.  If he knew, or strongly suspected, that Sully would be back because nobody would outbid him then why would he say that we "need a stronger center"?  That statement there hints to me that Danny knows something we don't about Sully's fate.

We had 5 loose ends.  One of them, Evan Turner, that tied up somewhere else.  Amir and Jonas' options have been picked up.  That only leaves Sully and Zeller who could be gone if we renounce rights to them or do a sign-and-trade.

bob

"Like 'Oil of Olay' or, for Cajun music lovers, Beausoleil."

Or like what a great lay.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:40 pm

I thought of the Charles Manson guy:

Bobby BeauSoleil performing Simple Man LIVE from 1978 with The Freedom Orchestra at Tracy Prison.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:14 pm

arambone wrote:I thought of the Charles Manson guy:

Bobby BeauSoleil performing Simple Man LIVE from 1978 with The Freedom Orchestra at Tracy Prison.

Wow - this post just took a dark turn. Never thought Charlie Manson and his crony Bobby Beausoleil would appear on Sam's. Interesting video though. The solo wasn't terrible, although he has trouble bending to pitch, and, similarly, misses a lot notes singing. Nice double neck bass/6 string though. The other guitar player, the one playing the Strat, is way better...

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:28 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:
arambone wrote:I thought of the Charles Manson guy:

Wow - this post just took a dark turn. Never thought Charlie Manson and his crony Bobby Beausoleil would appear on Sam's. Interesting video though. The solo wasn't terrible, although he has trouble bending to pitch, and, similarly, misses a lot notes singing. Nice double neck bass/6 string though. The other guitar player, the one playing the Strat, is way better...

According to the comment section on youtube, fellow Mansonite Clem is on that stage performing too. Not sure if he's the guy with the Strat.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:43 pm

arambone wrote:I just realized that Zizic, being forced to stay in Europe this year, might just stay over there an extra two years after that, where he can make more money each year, and then sign with the Celtics for market rate, 10+ million per year rather than a rinky dink 4 year 5 million dollar total contract.

Danny is shooting himself in the foot here, and we should hope Yabusele stays this year or he might pull the same thing.

Dario Saric said he is coming to PHI this year, but now there's talk he's going to stay in Europe for one more year, after watching the crazy contracts being handed out like candy this summer.

Does Danny really think these guys are excited to make less than in Europe, and be locked in for four years? Hell no.

Good point about the draft and stash in Europe.

These guys can make decent money in Europe for 3 years, then sign a non rookie scale contract after that.
It's a risk for Danny to not offer Zizic and Yabusele contracts.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down