Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart pushing each other in offseason workouts

+2
gyso
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart pushing each other in offseason workouts Empty Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart pushing each other in offseason workouts

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:42 pm

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/08/boston_celtics_jaylen_brown_ma.html

Boston Celtics' Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart pushing each other in offseason workouts

1 / 14
Boston Celtics rookie Jaylen Brown played at the Utah Summer League. (AP Photo / Kim Raff)
Tom Westerholm | twesterh@masslive.com

Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com

on August 04, 2016 at 7:00 AM

Jaylen Brown's NBA education has already begun and the No. 3 overall draft pick has a fiery teacher: new Boston Celtics teammate Marcus Smart.

Over the past week, Brown and Smart have been working out with two Celtics assistant coaches, Micah Shrewsberry and Brandon Bailey, as well as Maine Red Claws head coach Scott Morrison. As one might expect, Smart has brought a fire pit of intensity to the sessions, but Brown declines to back down.

"The nice thing about having both of them here is they can compete together," Morrison told MassLive Wednesday during an appearance on the Locked on Celtics podcast. "For sure Brandon and myself, we've been working on fundamentals and theory and things like that with defense, but there's no better teaching than getting Marcus out there and just seeing and feeling what a real NBA player looks like."

Morrison said he has been "impressed, like everybody, with (Brown's) athleticism."

"He looks like a veteran pro, not a 19-year-old kid, that's for sure," said the Red Claws coach, who spends a lot of time around the Celtics to maximize the affiliation between the two teams. "And skill-wise, since we've been out here I think he's shown a great deal of potential. A lot of people are asking how his shot looks, things like that. I think he has great potential as a shooter and he's explosive to the rim, and he's improving his finishing. Probably the biggest and most important thing is he picks up things quick and he wants to learn, which is a key for anybody who has to develop."

"Marcus has been great," Morrison added, "because he shares his knowledge with Jaylen and says, 'Hey, in the league this isn't going to work,' or, 'Guys are going to do this when you do this.' Like I said, (Brown has) been real good to just listen and pick it up but he doesn't back down either. He'll try to compete with Marcus and both guys are out there to win, but also out there to help each other which has been great.

"Marcus isn't going to give up any easy buckets, even in August. Jaylen's a strong kid, getting stronger, but Marcus has that man strength you can't teach. Getting in the weight room, or just trying to move him, or set a screen in drills, I know I'm coming home with a few bruises every night too."

Celtics fans are curious to see what Brown can provide during his rookie season. Smart will play a big role one way or another, but might be needed to increase his playmaking after the departure of Evan Turner. Morrison believes the third-year pro has another level of creativity within him.

"I think he does," Morrison said. "I think he showed signs last season too at times. I'm not speaking for him but I think any time where you're struggling a bit with your outside shooting you try and maybe you force things around the rim a little bit. But when I watched Marcus, especially in the playoffs when he was playing pretty well, he'd get in the paint, help would come and he could make the open pass, open read. And that's one thing that we work on here too every day is just reads based on what the defense does. So I think you'll see him reach another level. I know he's putting in a lot of time on his shooting all offseason. He works out with us in the morning, he goes to another gym and shoots in the afternoon, and then when we can we go back at night and he joins us for extra shooting then too. So I know he's been serious and, like I said, a great example for a guy like Jaylen."

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart pushing each other in offseason workouts Empty Re: Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart pushing each other in offseason workouts

Post by dboss Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:21 pm

Nothing like a strong work ethic.

I could envision times when Boston puts in their all defensive lineup with

Smart at the point, Bradley at the 2, Brown at the 3 , Crowder at the 4 and Horford at the 5.

That may be the best defensive 5 in the entire NBA

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart pushing each other in offseason workouts Empty Re: Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart pushing each other in offseason workouts

Post by gyso Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:40 pm

dboss wrote:Nothing like a strong work ethic.

Smart at the point, Bradley at the 2, Brown at the 3 , Crowder at the 4 and Horford at the 5.

dboss

I can see the frustration build when the other team can't score on multiple trips up the court!!

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:02 pm

dboss

Dboss,

But the worst offensively. Pretty small too.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Ram Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:31 pm

bobheckler wrote:

dboss

Dboss,

But the worst offensively.  Pretty small too.

bob

With Brown able to play SG and SF and Crowder SF and PF (in small ball) you could sub in Amir for anyone but Smart and Horford if you needed size and remain the best defensive 5 in basketball. It isn't like Bradley/Crowder can't shoot 3's and Horford can't score in a variety of ways. Get a double digit lead and put in a lineup with 5 of those 6 guys and dare a team to mount a comeback.
Ram
Ram

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:16 pm

Absolutely great to hear such positive things about our first round draft pick. I like this kid already. He already has a good body with plenty of athleticism so being so willing to work and learn will pay off for him and the Celtics.

Hat tip to Marcus Smart for being a team leader by taking this rookie under his wing in the summer season.

Wonder if James Young works out with Brown and Smart? Wonder if Young ever tried to work out with a team leader when he was a rookie (or, at any other time)?

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:28 am

Brown and Smart pushing each other in the offseason? Well I'd say that bodes well for us.

I don't expect much from 19 year old rookies, but have a hunch Brad will find a way to utilize his strengths even during some meaningful minutes this season.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:19 am

Bob

Yes that is a small ball defensive rotation however they would stop the other team by taking the ball away from them.  Turnovers will lead to offense.  That is how they won games last year.  It would be defense on steroids because that lineup can all defend including the rookie Brown.  

With Horford ability to stretch the floor it will open up driving lanes.  Both Bradley and Crowder will make buckets  and I think Smart will bring more offense this year.

This is not the starting lineup.   It could be used when Brad wants the team to apply maximum defensive pressure.

I cannot wait for the season to start.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down