+3
mulcogiseng
worcester
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

Happy Birthday Empty Happy Birthday

Post by bobheckler Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:49 am

6x World Champion and Houdini of the Hardwood Bob Cousy.

88 years young.

Happy Birthday 13892163_10154315976867667_8194654878648588781_n

I know that, athletically, he isn't the match of Westbrook or Thomas or any of today's point guards, but that's not the point (guard).  The Continental Army under George Washington couldn't compete with modern soldiers neither but they blazed a path for us and they did it with inferior weaponry, inferior medical help and no air support.  I was in China, in the city of Xi'an, home of the Army of Terra Cotta Warriors.  As the bus was going to the site where the warriors were we passed a pyramid.  I asked what that was and was told that the Chinese government built that pyramid so people could see that the Terra Cotta Army was just as much of a Wonder of the World as The Great Pyramids of Giza, Egypt.  I thought to myself "that's ridiculous.  This pyramid was built using modern materials and modern machinery.  The original was built by Jewish slaves who dragged those massive blocks of stone up ramps using their backs and legs.  It's not the same".  That's Cousy, and Russell, and the rest.  Are they as big and fast and as strong as modern players?  No, but they didn't have nutritionists and a training staff like Brian Doo and e-stim machines to enhance muscle recovery.  You compete with what you have against the talent you are up against.  To me, putting down that generation of players because they were slower, etc is like disrespecting the Minutemen because they only had muzzle-loading muskets and no M-16s or hand grenades or RPGs.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Happy Birthday Empty Re: Happy Birthday

Post by worcester Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:08 am

Cooz lived 1/4 mile from my childhood home, Heinsohn a mile away in the other direction. My sister went to high school for 4 years with his daughter Patty, and she came to my sister's birthday party here in Florida ten years ago. My dad was a bank director with Cooz, but somehow I never got to meet him, despite being a lifelong Celtics fan. Happy birthday indeed Mr. Cousy!

BTW, Jewish people did not build the pyramids. They've made many, many enormous contributions to mankind, but the pyramids were not among them.

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4191
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:57 am

worcester wrote:Cooz lived 1/4 mile from my childhood home, Heinsohn a mile away in the other direction. My sister went to high school for 4 years with his daughter Patty, and she came to my sister's birthday party here in Florida ten years ago. My dad was a bank director with Cooz, but somehow I never got to meet him, despite being a lifelong Celtics fan. Happy birthday indeed Mr. Cousy!

BTW, Jewish people did not build the pyramids. They've made many, many enormous contributions to mankind, but the pyramids were not among them.

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4191

worcester,.

So, I guess the stories my father told me about how he had to drag those stones up hill, both ways in the snow, weren't true.

Another childhood bubble burst.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:33 am

More than any other, since 1957, I've wanted a green #14 It's really too bad they don't make those old jerseys available. Happy Birthday Bob Cousy!!!
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:22 pm

He remains an amazing Celtics Icon

Happy Birthday Cooz

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:52 pm

mulcogiseng wrote:More than any other, since 1957, I've wanted a green #14 It's really too bad they don't make those old jerseys available. Happy Birthday Bob Cousy!!!

You certainly can find them.

Last time I was at the Garden in the couple of sports shops they have their we several "old time"  jerseys on sale. I even picked up a Havliceck one.

beat

PS Happy Birthday BC !!

PPS............

http://jevala.com/bob-cousy-boston-celtics-14-green-men-throwback-jersey-113914.html
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:02 pm

For his generation - he was indeed a legend - and I had the good fortune to witness his entire career. Lucky me -  Happy Birthday Cooz.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:27 pm

beat wrote:
mulcogiseng wrote:More than any other, since 1957, I've wanted a green #14 It's really too bad they don't make those old jerseys available. Happy Birthday Bob Cousy!!!

You certainly can find them.

Last time I was at the Garden in the couple of sports shops they have their we several "old time"  jerseys on sale. I even picked up a Havliceck one.

beat

PS Happy Birthday BC !!

PPS............

http://jevala.com/bob-cousy-boston-celtics-14-green-men-throwback-jersey-113914.html

I had a #17 John Havlicek tee shirt made, I think it was at nba.com or some such site. It is a cheesy thing, but it has his name and number on the back and it has a big shiny leprechaun logo on the front. It is an extra large, but was a bit too tight, but since I lost a little weight it fits better. I only wear it to games.

gyso

P.S. Happy birthday to the greatest French speaking basketball player ever!!

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:23 pm

Merveilleux!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down