NBA scout believes Boston Celtics need to acquire a big, defensive-minded wing by the trade deadline

+8
wideclyde
mrkleen09
steve3344
worcester
cowens/oldschool
dboss
bobheckler
12 posters

Go down

NBA scout believes Boston Celtics need to acquire a big, defensive-minded wing by the trade deadline Empty NBA scout believes Boston Celtics need to acquire a big, defensive-minded wing by the trade deadline

Post by bobheckler Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:08 pm

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/11/nba_scout_believes_boston_celt.html

NBA scout believes Boston Celtics need to acquire a big, defensive-minded wing by the trade deadline

NBA scout believes Boston Celtics need to acquire a big, defensive-minded wing by the trade deadline 21427692-mmmain
Boston Celtics guard Marcus Smart brings the ball up court during the first quarter of a preseason NBA basketball game in Boston, Wednesday, Oct. 19, 2016. (AP Photo/Charles Krupa)

Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com

on November 09, 2016 at 6:20 PM, updated November 09, 2016 at 6:30 PM

An anonymous NBA scout believes the Boston Celtics, after a rough defensive start, need to trade for a defensive-minded wing with size.

Speaking with the Sporting News' Sean Deveney, the scout analyzed all of Boston's defensive woes so far. Some of the issues can be ascribed to poor health -- Marcus Smart, Jae Crowder and Al Horford have all missed multiple games already -- but even at full strength the Celtics' two biggest backup wings, Jaylen Brown and Gerald Green, are a raw rookie and a long-time defensive minus.

"I think they overlooked the need for some size you can bring off your bench defensively on the wing when they were building the roster," the scout told Deveney. "You know, you're building a team that can spread the floor and play small on the offensive side, but you have to account for how that hurts you in matchups defensively. I think they have to address that by the (trade) deadline if they want to make the most out of this season. Does not need to be a star, but they need a wing who can hold up well enough offensively and do the job defensively off the bench—a guy like a P.J. Tucker from Phoenix, if he's healthy, just as an example. They do not have that guy."

The Celtics would probably counter that, when the full roster is available, Smart will come off the bench to terrorize perimeter players of any size. Though he's not technically a tall wing, he plays like one. Stick him on the court with Brown, Green and Jonas Jerebko, and the Celtics will have a long, athletic bench..

But the Celtics brought Evan Turner off the bench with Smart last season, forming a shape-shifting, oversized backcourt that lifted the team's versatility at both ends of the court. Turner's rebounding was a big deal, and he could defend anybody from point guards to bigger wings. Now, some of those minutes go to Brown and Terry Rozier, a pair of young guys still learning the game.

The scout's full analysis is worth a read, but Boston has prioritized maximum cap space -- not bench size and depth. The Celtics will improve defensively whenever Crowder (ankle) and Horford (concussion) return, but still need to shore some things up, especially on the bench.

bob
MY NOTE:  I disagree with this scout.  Brown may be a rookie, but he is that tall, defensive-oriented wing guy he is saying we need and, if we bring in that guy, Brown won't get the development time on the floor he needs.  What we need is a defensive-oriented big off the bench.  Kelly is offense.  He might not be a standout defensively, but his offense offsets his weakness there.  Zeller is neither an offensive threat nor a defensive stalwart.  

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

NBA scout believes Boston Celtics need to acquire a big, defensive-minded wing by the trade deadline Empty Re: NBA scout believes Boston Celtics need to acquire a big, defensive-minded wing by the trade deadline

Post by dboss Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:00 pm

Bob

I also think we need a defensive minded big off the bench who can also rebound.

We went into the off season with (2) apparent weaknesses.  One was shooting the 3 ball better and the other was adding depth at the center position.  

Our front line looks very inadequate.  

However until we are able to witness a full compliment of healthy players we will not be in a position as fans to make a fair evaluation of team needs.

Dboss

Last edited by dboss on Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

NBA scout believes Boston Celtics need to acquire a big, defensive-minded wing by the trade deadline Empty Re: NBA scout believes Boston Celtics need to acquire a big, defensive-minded wing by the trade deadline

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:38 pm

Zizic Zizic Zizic

we all knew Tyler Zeller really can't play

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:18 pm

YES, ZIZIC!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:49 pm

Zeller is just a wasted spot on the bench. He adds nothing either on defense or offense.

I just think Danny needs to think outside the box and grab a sleeper perhaps in D league or someone sitting on a deep bench on another team.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:05 pm

DA has spent a lot of draft picks on 1 through 3.  I have to believe that the next draft pick will be an athletic 4 that can swing to the 3.   I mention this because the 2017 draft provides slim pickings if you are shopping for a center.

A trade will be required to add a quality 5. DA is reluctant to part withh a top 6 player and a 1st round pick.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:47 am

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/as-celtics-struggle-isaiah-thomas-says-they-miss-evan-turner/

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:39 am

Agree with IT they miss Turner a great deal. And to this point Gerald Green has been a zero. Plays no defense, adds no leadership, and isnt even scoring.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:46 pm

As easy as it is to rip some players for this year's early troubles, it is interesting (to me at least) that it seems that no one mentions Amir Johnson as being a very soft spot in the starting lineup.

He had one great scoring game but has other wise scored four to six points in most of his other games.  He has also not rebounded or played great defense well yet this season either.

For a starting power forward or center, he has not done much yet, and I fear that this may be all that he can do.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:27 pm

The Celtics started the season without Smart and Olynyk.  Then Crowder and Horford get injured.  I was at the 3rd game of the season, at Charlotte, and we looked very good in the win.  There were some weak stretches during that game, but overall, I was impressed with them.

Charlotte now stands at 6-1.  We are the only team to beat them so far (until tonight I think, vs. Toronto)

So which team are we . . . the one who started out the season strong, even missing a few key pieces, or the one who cannot get through the 1st quarter without being behind by 20 points?

I think we should wait until we are at full strength for a couple of weeks before we decide what we need going into the playoffs.

gyso

Last edited by gyso on Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:34 pm

Any chance we can trade for Willy Cauley-Stein? Sacto has a logjam at center and could use some help at guard. WCS could solve one of our big problems. No, not lack of shooting.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:58 pm

Maybe Sacto wants to move Rudy Gay and the last 2 years of his contract. It's $26,666,666 total. Maybe a package deal with WCS. Do we want Rudy Gay for two years? Is there a way such a trade would work ?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:05 pm

Just checked Rudy Gay's defensive stats. He's on the all NBA No Defense team. Can we get WCS just by himself?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:16 am

WCS is supposedly on the trade block , as he is not big in the new coaches rotation right now.

he makes $3.5M this year, with one more year and then a team option.

since we are over the cap, we have send back salary's at or near his.

M. Smart works, but I won't do that.

Rozier AND Young work , but I doubt the Kings would take that deal unless Danny add a future draft pick of some type.

a deal for Gay AND WCS requires $16.8M or so in salary's sent back.

I would think  a possible deal would involve Amir and Smart ( $15.5M).

Personaly, I would be fine trading Rozier , Young and a future non- nets first for WCS.

anything else seems to be knee jerk and too soon.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:18 am

Kdp, I'd really like the Rozier and Young swap for WCS
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:35 am

kdp59 wrote:

anything else ATM seems to be knee jerk and too soon.

This is my position here.  

We only just threw the ingredients into the stewpot, it has not even come up to temperature and some critics are already tasting it and declaring it unfit for consumption.  Four out of our top nine ingredients have either been out and then now in, or in and then back out.  

Two of our major ingredients from last season's stew are no longer close to hand.  Out of their replacement ingredients, one is more or less a direct replacement, but is out at this moment.  The replacement for the other ingredient is not so straight forward, with its replacement coming from many sources.  These many sources have had to add to the flavor of the stew in a way that is asking too much of them in the current recipe.

Some of our minor ingredients have actually turned the stew bitter and have been taken out and put back on the shelf.  Their inclusion this early, at the proportions of their addition, has forced the hand of the master chef.  The fact that they were on the shelf at all is in no way an indictment of the grand procurer.  The minor ingredients were meant to be included only once the main flavor has been achieved.

Some of our ingredients are just filler stock, which help the stew fill out the texture, but don't so much add to the overall flavor.  These fillers have been thrust into the flavor in ways not intended by either the grand procurer or the master chef.

Once all the ingredients have been added in the proper proportion by the master chef, and then allowed to simmer for a while at temperature, then it will be time for the taste-testing.

Regards,

Julia Child

PS: (By paragraphs)
(KO, Smart, Crowder, Horford)
(Sully, Turner, Horford, Brown, Rozier, Smart, etc.)
(Young, Green, Mickey, Brad, Danny)
(Amir, Zeller, Jonas, Danny, Brad)

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:56 pm

gyso,

That may be one of the most creative posts I've seen in a very long time.

Or was it a recipe?

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:30 pm

NYCelt wrote:gyso,

That may be one of the most creative posts I've seen in a very long time.

Or was it a recipe?

Regards

Thanks. Just food for thought.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ram Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:56 pm

Why can't the combination of Crowder, Smart and Brown properly defend the taller/longer wing players the C's will run into?

I agree with the majority of this board who already posted that the C's need a defensive big more than anything else right now. 

My suggestion in another thread is John Henson. Why Jason Kidd under utilizes him is beyond me. Jabari Parker is obviously going to get his 30-34 mins a game at PF. That leaves 62-66 mins for 3-4 other guys and that is apparently a big man by committee of Monroe (22 mins), and Henson, Plumlee and Beasley all getting roughly 14 mins a game. 

If I were Henson, I'd want to play a more defined role on an east contender as I enter my prime and have watched my minutes drop 4 seasons in a row. Guys who block 3 shots and grab 10 boards per 36 mins don't grow on trees, and Henson seems like the type of guy Stevens would get the bets out of.
Ram
Ram

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:36 am

now rumors are percolating that A. Davis may be traded, for the right deal.

http://hoopshype.com/storyline/anthony-davis-to-celtics/

not sure why NO would trade him but if they are "willing", Danny has to make that call.

I would guess Horford (if he doesn't have a no trade), Brown or Smart and at least next years Nets pick would be a starting point.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:51 am

Horford is more durable than A. Davis, even though older.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down