Spyball - The Major League Catcher Who Was A Spy

2 posters

Go down

Spyball - The Major League Catcher Who Was A Spy Empty Spyball - The Major League Catcher Who Was A Spy

Post by bobheckler Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:30 pm

NOT about basketball but it is still a great story and it is about a sports figure, just not a famous one.

Narrated by longtime Red Sox pitcher, and certifiable oddball, Bill "Spaceman" Lee.

If you love sports, and if you love to respect and honor those who put their lives at risk to defend our country, this 18 minute film is a must-see.

Somewhat appropriate given that December 7th, Pearl Harbor Day, is coming up.

http://www.espn.com/videohub/video/clip?id=13168190

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Spyball - The Major League Catcher Who Was A Spy Empty Re: Spyball - The Major League Catcher Who Was A Spy

Post by bobheckler Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:57 pm

It's Pearl Harbor Day.

Let us honor the sacrifices of that generation for us.  Food, gasoline, tires and sugar were rationed, just to name a few.  People used some of their disposable income to buy war bonds (as opposed to today, when we expect the government to pay for it all, and they don't) and worked 2nd jobs at defense plants building planes and tanks for the war effort.  Construction jobs were done by women, nicknamed "Rosie the Riveter" because all the able-bodied men were off fighting and they did all this while continuing to raise their young children.  In addition to the rationing and volunteering there was a "war tax" that equaled 5% of the then-GDP.  Not a 5% increase in taxes, or even a tax that increased government tax revenues by 5%, but a tax that equaled 5% of the entire GDP of the USA, including private sector production for the civilian market.  Times were tough, but they were a generation of tough guys and gals.

And they didn't bitch about it either, they just shouldered it and did it because they knew it needed to be done for the good of the country.  THAT is patriotism.

There aren't many of them left, but I would just like to say "Thank You" to all of them, including the ones who have left us.  We became a world superpower for the next because of them. I wish I was even half the person my parents were.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Spyball - The Major League Catcher Who Was A Spy Empty Re: Spyball - The Major League Catcher Who Was A Spy

Post by swish Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:52 pm

bobheckler wrote:It's Pearl Harbor Day.

Let us honor the sacrifices of that generation for us.  Food, gasoline, tires and sugar were rationed, just to name a few.  People used some of their disposable income to buy war bonds (as opposed to today, when we expect the government to pay for it all, and they don't) and worked 2nd jobs at defense plants building planes and tanks for the war effort.  Construction jobs were done by women, nicknamed "Rosie the Riveter" because all the able-bodied men were off fighting and they did all this while continuing to raise their young children.  In addition to the rationing and volunteering there was a "war tax" that equaled 5% of the then-GDP.  Not a 5% increase in taxes, or even a tax that increased government tax revenues by 5%, but a tax that equaled 5% of the entire GDP of the USA, including private sector production for the civilian market.  Times were tough, but they were a generation of tough guys and gals.

And they didn't bitch about it either, they just shouldered it and did it because they knew it needed to be done for the good of the country.  THAT is patriotism.

There aren't many of them left, but I would just like to say "Thank You" to all of them, including the ones who have left us.  We became a world superpower for the next because of them.  I wish I was even half the person my parents were.

bob

I could write for days about that "Greatest Generation" which I witnessed first hand. So much sadness - so much sacrifice - all overshadowed by so much PATRIOTISM. Bless them all.

swish

bob

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down