Rondo out of Bulls lineup after being benched for poor play

+5
dboss
hawksnestbeach
mulcogiseng
RosalieTCeltics
9 posters

Go down

Rondo out of Bulls lineup after being benched for poor play Empty Rondo out of Bulls lineup after being benched for poor play

Post by 112288 Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:58 pm

CSNNE

CHICAGO - Rajon Rondo is out of the Chicago Bulls’ lineup, one day after being benched for poor play.

Michael Carter-Williams started at point guard against the Milwaukee Bucks on Saturday after Rondo was benched for the second half in a loss at Indiana the previous day.

Coach Fred Hoiberg called it a “strictly basketball” move.  Jerian Grant backed up Carter-Williams and Rondo didn't play in Chicago's 116-96 loss on Saturday.

The move comes with the Bulls in a 3-7 tailspin heading into Saturday’s game. Rondo, the former Celtics point guard, was held out for the final two quarters against the Pacers after a scoreless first half in which he had three fouls and a minus-20 in the plus/minus category.

Benching Rondo was not what the Bulls’ had in mind after the four-time All-Star signed a $30 million, two-year contract. But he has been inconsistent, averaging 7.2 points and 7.1 assists. He also served a one-game suspension three weeks ago for detrimental conduct to the team, and with the team looking for a spark – particularly early in games – Hoiberg decided to go with Carter-Williams.

Hoiberg said he met with Rondo at the team’s practice facility on Saturday morning.

“He was very professional, talked about accepting whatever role he has and helping our guys stay ready,” Hoiberg said. “I was proud of how he handled the situation [Friday] night. He was cheering for the guys on the bench and talking to them when they came out for rotation reasons. He’s handled it well and we’ll see how it goes.”

Does the presence of Carter-Williams make Rondo expendable?

“I don’t know about that,” Hoiberg said.

Carter-Williams returned Monday after missing about two months with injuries to his left knee and left wrist. He was hurt Oct. 31 at Brooklyn and had appeared in just six games prior to Saturday’s matchup with the Bucks.

A first-round pick by Philadelphia in 2013, Carter-Williams has averaged 14.2 points in his career. He was acquired by the Bulls in a trade with Milwaukee on Oct. 17.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rajon Rondo, should he remain benched, says he 'absolutely' will seek a trade from Bulls

YAHOO SPORTS

Kelly Dwye

Rajon Rondo wore the headband, on New Year’s Eve. He had the headwear on, while his Bulls lost another one to a division foe. This time it was the Milwaukee Bucks who watched as Rondo watched, missing the entire game as a healthy scratch just a day after sitting out the second half of a game he originally started in, as Chicago lost in Indianapolis.

The Bulls signed Rondo to a two-year, $27.4 million deal in the offseason, seemingly bidding against themselves for a player who had flamed out both professionally and personally in his three previous stops in Boston, Dallas and Sacramento. With Bulls coach Fred Hoiberg’s decision to dump the former All-Star in the starting lineup in exchange for 2013-14 Rookie of the Year Michael Carter-Williams, Rondo has admitted that he’ll ask to meet with the team’s front office in order to suss out his options moving forward after just 29 games as a Chicago Bull.

He couldn’t even make it until 2017. Who, besides the obvious in red and black, didn’t see this coming? From Vincent Goodwill at CSN Chicago:

“Absolutely,” said Rondo when asked if he accomplished enough in the NBA for the Bulls to accommodate him on a trade or some transaction to allow him to seek another team should the benching continue.

“Gar (Forman, Bulls GM) and I will have a talk. We’ll talk tonight and go from there. I don’t know if it’s right now, maybe the next 30, 18, 45 minutes. Tonight, before ’17 (the clock strikes midnight).”

“No, I’m not surprised. Not surprised,” Rondo said. “It’s been a tough season. Certain buttons are being pushed and the Bulls are trying to figure things out.”

The Chicago Tribune’s K.C. Johnson noted that the Chicago head coach spoke with Rondo in the short term between the team’s two losses over the holiday weekend:

“He was great, very professional” Hoiberg said. “We talked about accepting whatever role he has and helping our guys stay ready.

“I was proud of how he handled the situation (Friday night in Indiana). He was cheering for the guys from the bench and talking to them when they came out for rotational reasons. That is very admirable for a guy who has had the type of career he has had.

“I know he’ll be ready when he’s called upon. It’s just the decision we decided to go with to see if we can change the flow of our team.”

Rondo, to his credit, has handled the demotion with on-record ease:

“I’m going to explode,” Rondo said sarcastically about his response to being benched. “Nah, I’m going to continue to work. Play more 1-on-1. Stay fit. Take care of my body. Lift. And give these young guys as much advice as I can while I’m on the bench supporting them.”

Rondo’s role in the flow of the Bulls (16-18, losers of 14 of 22) being altered seemingly beyond repair is up for debate, but neither side in this discussion can get away from the fact that Rajon is part of the problem.

[Follow Ball Don’t Lie on social media: Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Tumblr]

The 30-year old, a champion in 2008 with the Boston Celtics prior to a career-altering ACL tear in 2013, averages 7.2 points, 7.1 assists and 6.5 rebounds a game, but he acts as perhaps the worst defensive guard in the NBA. His inability to shoot leaves the Chicago offense (ranked dead last in three-pointers made, attempted, three-pointer percentage, Effective Field Goal percentage and second to last in field goal percentage) at a massive disadvantage that even the presence of the sub-MVP stylings of Jimmy Butler cannot overcome.

Replacement Michael Carter-Williams is not your typical former Rookie of the Year. His 2013-14 season was the prize of one of the worst freshman class performances in NBA history, and he’s been traded twice since taking the award. MCW even missed Chicago’s training camp due to the late timing of his most recent trade, and an early-season wrist and knee injury knocked him out of the rotation from Halloween until Christmas.

He contributed nine points, six rebounds and an assist in the second half against Indiana, but Carter-Williams missed five of six shots against the Bucks and shoots 23.8 percent on the year. His Milwaukee counterpart, rookie Malcolm Brogdon, contributed 15 points, 12 assists and 11 rebounds in the Bucks’ win on Saturday. MCW seems a potent and credible replacement to take a chance on, but only in theory at this point.

To the great shame of the Chicago front office, Rajon Rondo never even looked like a proper fit for the Bulls in theory, much less inaction in action.

The point guard was asked to leave the Dallas Mavericks in 2015 after just a few months with the team, months that saw his skill set drag the previously-top ranked offense into the muck. His time with the Sacramento Kings included his role in the verbal attack and outing of respected referee Bill Kennedy. In terms of pure basketball prowess, he is a millstone of the highest order – a poor player that nevertheless finds himself in high usage situations.

The problem here is that, through what has to be characterized as “his game” and through the off (although, technically, on)-court actions, Rajon Rondo has achieved a state of basketball irrelevance that hardly portends well for his future. If Rondo has his way, he’ll soon be sent to his fifth NBA team in less than a 25-month span. At this point in his career, despite the nice box score stats, he remains an uneasy watch: the basketball non-entity that outed a grown man against his wishes just because didn’t agree with the way a sports game was going.

The Chicago Bulls front office will circle the wagons, as that s the way they’ve done thing for years under owner Jerry Reinsdorf and his hires, and the team will be loath to admit its mistake in signing Rondo. Waiving the point guard isn’t out of the question – the second year of his two-year contract is only guaranteed for $3 million, which the Bulls could stretch out over three years at relatively little payroll or cap loss. Alas, this isn’t Christmas Eve, so the Bulls probably won’t fire last summer’s sparkly new appointee. Rondo, even at a quarter of the price, is untradeable.

[Follow Dunks Don’t Lie on Tumblr: The best slams from all of basketball]

Rajon Rondo is not a player that can help an NBA team with his NBA play, and everyone but the Chicago Bulls seemed to know this last summer prior to Chicago’s decision to hand him a guaranteed $14 million to play basketball this season. What the Chicago Bulls apparently did anticipate, is the thoughtful and professional way Rajon Rondo has handled his demotion – something we didn’t think him capable of after his time in Dallas and Sacramento.

It is early, though.

Back to top Go down

Rondo out of Bulls lineup after being benched for poor play Empty Re: Rondo out of Bulls lineup after being benched for poor play

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:32 pm

Where does he think he will go??? He is fast burning his bridges in the NBA. What a fool. The worst thing that ever happened to him was that he was the point guard on the championship team with three super stars, and a crew of good shooters to bail him out and make him look like a king.  Spoiled brat.  Thank God. Danny never gave him a max contract like he was saying he wanted. He talked his way right out of here and I am sure Brad is glad he never had to deal with him with a big contract. He would have been impossible to deal with. He just thinks he knows more than any one.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Rondo out of Bulls lineup after being benched for poor play Empty Re: Rondo out of Bulls lineup after being benched for poor play

Post by 112288 Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:22 pm

Rondo is playing himself out of the league and out of a future in coaching. They say he is very smart but his actions prove otherwise.

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:10 pm

Rondo maintains regular personal contact with Doc, KG, PP, and others. He made Sacto a better team and was a real help to Cousins. Players throw other players and former teams under the bus all the time. That doesn't happen with Rondo. He was never a "cancer" in the way it is usually applied. His teammates always appreciated that he would get them the ball if they were open. He should never been allowed to stop playing D and running a fast paced offense. That fed his psychological need to be in control and minimized the best part of his skill set. But the biggest factor is that he has never fully recovered from his injuries, he just isn't the same player he was and he covers it with the over dribbling. The real Rondo, the one cheering on his teammates even though he is riding the bench, is the one I miss the most. But alas, for whatever reason he is truly playing himself out of the league. btw, his replacements are playing worse than he was and Chicago's slide continues.

17goingon18
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by hawksnestbeach Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:12 pm

I agree with all here, particularly mulcogiseng: This is not the same Rondo from his early years when his defense was quite good. I'd hate to be his press agent. Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:20 pm

The problem with Rondo in Chicago is his defense. He plays no defense. He can still run an offense and rebound the ball. He still gets a few steals per game but the games I was watched looks like he plays no serious D. I am sure the coach has been on him about that and RR probably told him to go you know what.

The Bulls are on track to pretty much duplicate what they did last year however now that wade is having knee problems they could be in for a slide.

Rondo has little chance for a coaching opportunity in the NBA with the on-going battles he has with authority.

dboss

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:17 am

Say 'buh-bye' now...Interesting that he posted a pic of KG and Ray Allen, when is locker room issues with Allen were a reason why Ray left.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/244717/Rajon-Rondo-My-Vets-Would-Never-Go-The-Media

Rajon Rondo: My Vets Would Never Go The Media
JAN 26, 2017 6:15 PM

Rajon Rondo posted a photograph of Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen on Instagram along with a lengthy statement seemingly in response to comments made to the media by Dwyane Wade and Jimmy Butler after Wednesday's loss by the Chicago Bulls.

"My vets would never go to the media," wrote Rondo. "They would come to the team. My vets didn't pick and choose when they wanted to bring it. They brought it every time they stepped in the gym whether it was practice or a game. They didn't take days off. My vets didn't care about their numbers. My vets played for the team. When we lost, they wouldn't blame us. They took responsibility and got in the gym. They showed the young guys what it meant to work. Even in Boston when we had the best record in the league, if we lost a game, you could hear a pin drop on the bus. They showed us the seriousness of the game. My vets didn't have an influence on the coaching staff. They couldn't change the plan because it didn't work for them. I played under one of the greatest coaches, and he held everyone accountable. It takes 1-15 to win. When you isolate everyone, you can't win consistently. I may be a lot of things, but I'm not a bad teammate. My goal is to pass what I learned along. The young guys work. They show up. They don't deserve blame. If anything is questionable, it's the leadership."

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:58 am

bobheckler wrote:Say 'buh-bye' now...Interesting that he posted a pic of KG and Ray Allen, when is locker room issues with Allen were a reason why Ray left.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/244717/Rajon-Rondo-My-Vets-Would-Never-Go-The-Media

Rajon Rondo: My Vets Would Never Go The Media
JAN 26, 2017 6:15 PM

Rajon Rondo posted a photograph of Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen on Instagram along with a lengthy statement seemingly in response to comments made to the media by Dwyane Wade and Jimmy Butler after Wednesday's loss by the Chicago Bulls.

"My vets would never go to the media," wrote Rondo. "They would come to the team. My vets didn't pick and choose when they wanted to bring it. They brought it every time they stepped in the gym whether it was practice or a game. They didn't take days off. My vets didn't care about their numbers. My vets played for the team. When we lost, they wouldn't blame us. They took responsibility and got in the gym. They showed the young guys what it meant to work. Even in Boston when we had the best record in the league, if we lost a game, you could hear a pin drop on the bus. They showed us the seriousness of the game. My vets didn't have an influence on the coaching staff. They couldn't change the plan because it didn't work for them. I played under one of the greatest coaches, and he held everyone accountable. It takes 1-15 to win. When you isolate everyone, you can't win consistently. I may be a lot of things, but I'm not a bad teammate. My goal is to pass what I learned along. The young guys work. They show up. They don't deserve blame. If anything is questionable, it's the leadership."

bob

Except ray Allen was not in the picture just KG and PP and RR
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:31 pm

Rajon Rondo seems destined to end up as an immensely talented player cut down by his own immensely stubborn attitude.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:34 pm

I give him credit for getting this right for sure.

Guess he's longing for the old days already.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:34 pm

It was strange to me.

He criticized wade and butler for going to the media and then he turned around and basically did the same thing

It is also interesting to note that Rondo wants to control the ball and in particular where the ball goes.

So if the scrubs were taking and missing too many shots it must have been Rondo that passed them the ball and froze out Wade/Butler

The Bulls are imploding, the coach is weak and the chemistry is bad. Rondo, Butler and Wade are part of that bad chemistry.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:25 pm

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/244726/Bulls-Role-Players-Believe-Butler-Wade-Playing-Buddy-Ball

Bulls' Role Players Believe Butler, Wade Playing 'Buddy Ball'

JAN 27, 2017 4:03 PM

The Chicago Bulls have had struggles both on and off the court since their strong start to the season.

Jimmy Butler and Dwyane Wade were critical of the Bulls' younger players this week, which prompted a sharp response from Rajon Rondo on Instagram.

"The Bulls are full of unhappy players," said Wojnarowski. "With the superstars unhappy with the role players and the role players unhappy with the superstars, privately charging them with playing buddy ball, sources say. A two-man game that they believe often intentionally involves no one else."

In their loss to the Atlanta Hawks this week that sparked criticism from Butler and Wade, the pair combined to score 73 points on 46 of the Bulls' 94 shooting possessions.

ADRIAN WOJNAROWSKI/THE VERTICAL

bob
MY NOTE:  If Woj says there is more to this story than Rondo being Rondo then you can pretty much bet your bottom dollar there is more to this story.

Can I smell a fire sale, or is it just a dumpster fire?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:36 pm

K.C. JohnsonVerified account
‏@KCJHoop

Follow
More
Butler and Wade won't start as discipline.
RETWEETS
Starks & EwingTreySarah WColeman TerrellNKZach Herringksmoth
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:39 pm

NY, exactly
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down