Ante Zizic says he’s coming to the NBA next year

+2
dboss
6 posters

Go down

Ante Zizic says he’s coming to the NBA next year Empty Ante Zizic says he’s coming to the NBA next year

Post by 112288 Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:54 am

REDS ARMY

Posted by John Karalis on January 18, 2017

Ante Zizic is making a bit of a splash in his travels overseas. After playing Cibona Zagreb in Croatia, he moved to Darussafaka Dogus in Turkey… a major upgrade because it’s a EuroLeague team and he’s being coached by former Cavs coach David Blatt (don’t scoff at that… Blatt is a Hall of Fame-level coach just based on his international record).

After the Celtics pulled the draft-and-stash, Zizic says he’s almost a lock to come to Boston this summer.

You talked about going to NBA next season. It’s your definite decision?

Yes, of course. I was selected in the first Round but I wanted to stay one more year overseas in order to prepare for the NBA. Now I’m playing in EuroLeague and the next step is NBA. I’m 99% sure that I’m going to be there on summer. I feel comfortable now and I think I’m ready for this step.

Tell me about the Boston Celtics. They have some great players and are doing really fine this season.

I’m always in touch with the guys from Celtics. They watch my game and they come visit me. Indeed, they play really, really good this season. They have a lot of potential as a team, because it’s a young team. They have players who can play great individual and team basketball. Next season I want to be a part what they’ll do.”

There is the SLIGHTEST bit of an out in there if Danny Ainge can convince him to stay in Europe one more season. Zizic just turned 20-years-old earlier this month, and though he’s playing well (16 ppg/7 rpg across both teams this year), Ainge might need the cap space Zizic would occupy to make his next move.

I’m not the biggest Zizic expert, but the clips I’ve seen are impressive. He always seems to give a good effort and he’s a pretty good athlete that will help with the Celtics biggest weakness: rebounding . Those who watch him regularly are also very impressed by him. Keith Smith recently talked to a scout for CelticsBlog who had this to say:

Scout’s Take: “Zizic is developing more rapidly than anyone expected. We thought he would be a 2 year project at least, but he’s probably ready to play now. He’s a plus rebounder who understands angles and uses his body well. His defense still needs work, especially in pick and roll action. He still uses his length better than his feet on that end. His offense is coming along. Still no real jumper, but he’s worked on his half-hook inside. He’s tenacious going to the offensive glass too. And his hands are terrific. Boston has a player. He should be able to help as a backup right away and, assuming he can handle NBA defense, as a starter before long.”

Again, there’s another sliver of an out in that take that might allow for Ainge to say “spend one more year in Europe and get stronger.” There’s also the possibility that these impressive numbers could be enough of a sweetener for a trade that doesn’t have to include one of Boston’s established players. Maybe Ainge plays the “rights to Zizic” card in a deal that allows him to keep another young player with actual NBA experience.

We’ll have to wait and see… but Zizic is clearly itching to begin his NBA career.

Back to top Go down

Ante Zizic says he’s coming to the NBA next year Empty Re: Ante Zizic says he’s coming to the NBA next year

Post by dboss Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:42 pm

Would like to see the kid play. DA should refrain from trading him unless it is for a can't miss deal.

This summer will be an excellent time to get him over here for the Summer League. Then we all will be in a better position to make a more accurate assessment about his upside as a center.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Ante Zizic says he’s coming to the NBA next year Empty Re: Ante Zizic says he’s coming to the NBA next year

Post by 112288 Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:47 pm

No Trade......why...........if the kid is a great player you have him locked up for 3 years at a very favorable salary, why over pay!

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:27 pm

112288 If a trade is going to get us a significant upgrade, I think you have to consider it.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:29 pm

dBoss

It depends what you mean by a significant upgrade? Not opposed but give me a few examples.

I would rather hold the asset and try to get a quick upgrade in free agency.

Back to top Go down

Post by international Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:02 pm

http://www.eurobasket.com/Basketball-Box-Score.asp?Game=2017_0120_195_1846-Euroleague

international

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:28 pm

Zizic says he is coming to the NBA, but what does Brad and Danny have to say on this?

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:33 pm

112288 wrote:dBoss

It depends what you mean by a significant upgrade?  Not opposed but give me a few examples.

I would rather hold the asset and try to get a quick upgrade in free agency.

How About A BEAST.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:04 pm

Austin Ainge had nothing but great things to say about him in his travels overseas. Yabu also.

Are they tied up in their contracts so that even one of them could be brought over here to play after the all star break?? I have no idea about these things.
It would make it easier to trade Zeller or/and Amir???? All of a sudden, Amir is looking tired. Is it me? Of course I have not watched much this week, but is Zeller still out?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:26 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Austin Ainge had nothing but great things to say about him in his travels overseas. Yabu also.  

Are they tied up in their contracts so that even one of them could be brought over here to play after the all star break?? I have no idea about these things.
It would make it easier to trade Zeller or/and Amir????  All of a sudden, Amir is looking tired. Is it me?  Of course I have not watched much this week, but is Zeller still out?

Rosalie,

1. Austin Ainge is a chip off the ol' block, meaning that he would say a whole lot of good things about his players but that does not mean he wouldn't trade them in a NY second for a good deal. Just like his ol' man.

2. The Chinese league usually ends in time for players to make it back to the NBA in time to make a playoff roster. Euro leagues not. So, there is a chance that Yabusele makes the team this year but I doubt Zizic will.

3. Yes, I think Amir is looking old and tired too.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down