Avery Bradley’s progress invaluable, underrated for Celtics

5 posters

Go down

Avery Bradley’s progress invaluable, underrated for Celtics Empty Avery Bradley’s progress invaluable, underrated for Celtics

Post by bobheckler Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:31 pm

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2017/01/avery_bradley_s_progress_invaluable_underrated_for_celtics

Avery Bradley’s progress invaluable, underrated for Celtics

Steve Bulpett

Monday, January 30, 2017

Avery Bradley’s progress invaluable, underrated for Celtics 031116celticsjw17
Credit: John Wilcox
HURTING: The Celtics will have to make do without injured guard Avery Bradley.Staff photo by John Wilcox

The Celtics have a right to feel good about themselves as they prepare to begin a four-game homestand this evening in first place by a half game in the Atlantic Division. They fought off the approaching demons of a three-game slide, including losing at home to the Knicks and getting blasted in Washington, with three wins in the next four nights.

But while they won the last two without Al Horford, who is expected back soon from a groin strain, the C’s know they’ve been bailing water to make up for the absence of Avery Bradley (Achilles strain) in 10 of the last 11 games.

“He’s a big part of our team,” said Jae Crowder after Saturday’s 112-108 overtime victory in Milwaukee. “We’re making this ship stay afloat as of right now, but he’s a big part of what we do here and we miss him, of course.

“But we want him to be healthy. We’ve got a bigger picture in mind, and we need him for that.”

Pause a moment and appreciate the steps Bradley has taken in this, his seventh season. After averaging 11.5 points in his first six years, he’s scoring 17.7 a game in 2016-17. His overall shooting has gone from .438 to .475, and on 3-pointers from .360 to .409. His rebounds are up from 2.6 to 6.9.

If it’s a more recent comparison you seek, he shot .447 last year (.361 on treys) with 2.9 rebounds.

“A guy like that who’s one of the best defenders in the league, I mean, you’re definitely going to miss that,” said Isaiah Thomas, who has had to improve his own scoring to help make up for Bradley’s missing production. “And he’s a guy that’s improved his jump shot and what he does on the offensive end, so you’re always going to miss a guy like that. Hopefully we can keep having guys step up until he comes back.”

Thomas stepping up so spectacularly all season may be part of the reason Bradley isn’t quite as appreciated as he should be.

“Isaiah’s having a spectacular year, and I think that’s a little bit overshadowed how great of a year Avery’s having,” said president of basketball operations Danny Ainge. “Isaiah is a more charismatic personality than Avery, because Avery doesn’t seek that limelight and enjoy that as much as Isaiah does. They’re just different personalities. But Avery is so critical to our success.

“Listen, he is our best defensive player, and he’s our second-best offensive player. And that’s a rare combination for a player.”

And it’s a combination that will be critical when the postseason opposition focuses its defense on slowing their biggest weapon, Thomas.

“We desperately miss Avery,” said Ainge. “For us to have any chance of accomplishing what we want to, we need Avery. His injury last year in the fourth quarter of Game 1 of the playoffs really hurt our chances in that series. I think that the whole NBA started really seeing how good of a player Avery was last year. I think people in Boston have known how good Avery is for a while, but I think the whole NBA took note of Avery last year, and I think he’s even improved more this year.

“He’s worked hard on his game. He’s improved his game every year. I think his confidence is very high, and I think he feels comfortable in the system and with the guys he’s playing with. But, yeah, he works hard in the offseason and during the season to improve his game every year.”

Perhaps the greatest threat to Bradley is Bradley himself. He’s famously tried to play through injuries in the past, pushing himself through a shoulder problem that eventually shut him down in the playoffs and necessitated surgery. He tried to come back this time after four games out and, after gutting out the game against Charlotte, was back on the shelf.

“That’s just who Avery is. He wants to play,” said Ainge. “He tried to play with the sore Achilles, and thank goodness nothing really bad happened. Now we’re being even more cautious. But he’s a guy that really wants to get out there and play.”

bob
MY NOTE: With respect to Marcus Smart, Avery Bradley is the best defender on the Celtics. Our defense, recently, sucks. Avery Bradley has been out. Coincidence? Only if you believe in them. I believe in 'cause and effect'.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Avery Bradley’s progress invaluable, underrated for Celtics Empty Re: Avery Bradley’s progress invaluable, underrated for Celtics

Post by hawksnestbeach Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:50 pm

Bob, I like Bradley, too, but with his upcoming contract, history of injuries, and the talent in our back court, including JB, wonder if we could trade him to Philly for Noel and other consideration. Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Avery Bradley’s progress invaluable, underrated for Celtics Empty Re: Avery Bradley’s progress invaluable, underrated for Celtics

Post by wideclyde Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:07 pm

I have very much grown to like Avery Bradley as a Boston Celtic. Two years ago I wrote several times on this board that I would trade fairly easily, but now feel quite differently due to his consistent improvements from year to year. If he re-signs in Boston, I hope he continues to improve, too.

Our defense has REALLY missed him since his achilles injury. We may continue to miss him for a while longer as well because the team learned not to bring him back and let him play 32 minutes in his first game back (I hope). When he gets back he will likely be limited for a while to maybe 10 or 12 minutes, but we will most certainly need him to be healthy for the playoffs.

However, Hawksnestbeach brings up a great point about Bradley, with only one more year left under contract, becoming a great trade chip. i doubt that he is needed to get Noel, but he may be needed in a trade to get someone better than Noel.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:46 pm

We really miss AB. What he brings to the floor is undeniable. I cannot wait for him to get back
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:05 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:We really miss AB. What he brings to the floor is undeniable. I cannot wait for him to get back

I also hope for his return, we really need him.  I just hope that he is fully recovered when he does come back.

Back to top Go down

Post by hawksnestbeach Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:18 pm

I watched last night's game with the Pistons, asked myself time and again, who would help us more containing their penetration: Bradley or (Noel or a better shot blocker). I'm not saying Noel is as valuable as Bradley yet, but an agile, rebounding-blocking big man has been our biggest need for years. The Celtics prevailed, IMO, solely because IT came to the rescue every time (and has made a believer out of me). But I don't think IT or any guard can make up for our porous interior defense. I think of Bradley as expendable only because he is valuable right now, injury-prone, and ready to command a much higher salary. Hawk.

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down