Isaiah Thomas: Trade to Boston Celtics 'a Christmas gift' from Phoenix Suns

+3
dboss
wideclyde
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

Isaiah Thomas: Trade to Boston Celtics 'a Christmas gift' from Phoenix Suns Empty Isaiah Thomas: Trade to Boston Celtics 'a Christmas gift' from Phoenix Suns

Post by bobheckler Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:43 pm

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2017/03/isaiah_thomas_trade_to_boston.html

Isaiah Thomas: Trade to Boston Celtics 'a Christmas gift' from Phoenix Suns

Posted on March 4, 2017 at 5:30 PM

Isaiah Thomas wants Boston Celtics teammates to make all-defensive teams

BY JAY KING

Isaiah Thomas might have achieved his startling transformation elsewhere, but understands a trade to the Boston Celtics helped him ascend to the NBA's elite class. Before playing the Phoenix Suns, his former team, he called the move a "Christmas gift."

Follow
Adam Himmelsbach ✔ @AdamHimmelsbach
Isaiah on if he holds grudge against Suns: "Nah it's like they gave me a Christmas gift by sending me away."
11:59 AM - 4 Mar 2017
 94 94 Retweets   250 250 likes

During his brief stint with the Suns, Thomas split playing time with two other quality point guards. But after the trade, the Celtics freed him to unlock his entire game, trusting him -- needing him, really -- to take the offense into his own hands. The relationship has been symbiotic; with Thomas developing into a fringe MVP candidate, the Celtics have climbed from outside the playoff picture to the No. 2 team in the Eastern Conference.

Few players have emerged to the extent Thomas has after being discarded, essentially, by multiple teams. (Before he signed with the Suns, the Sacramento Kings decided they would rather pay Darren Collison. Whoops.) Now he is enjoying the spoils:

Follow
Adam Himmelsbach ✔ @AdamHimmelsbach
Isaiah on Bos. stardom: "Boston’s bigger & better than everything in the NBA. It’s something I’ve never seen before & I’m just embracing it"
1:12 PM - 4 Mar 2017
 56 56 Retweets   148 148 likes

Even at Staples Center, Thomas heard some scattered M-V-P chants. He really does seem to appreciate his sudden stardom. After years out of the spotlight, he's enjoying the attention on him and all the love from the city of Boston.

bob
MY NOTE:  I hope well-known Laker fan James Thomas, Isaiah's father, the man who felt so strongly about the Lakers winning the championship he bet his future son's name on it, has become a Celtic fan too.  We have given him everything a professional athlete and entertainer can ask for.

Doc said the same thing about Boston, he said you can't really explain it, you have to experience it.

Boston Celtics‏Verified account
@celtics

Follow
More
Isaiah Thomas tells a Suns reporter, "Boston is bigger and better than everything in the NBA." Says he talked to Pierce about that recently.
RETWEETS

Isaiah Thomas: Trade to Boston Celtics 'a Christmas gift' from Phoenix Suns E6d0e7d820d6a28d36562902cf8245ea

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Isaiah Thomas: Trade to Boston Celtics 'a Christmas gift' from Phoenix Suns Empty Re: Isaiah Thomas: Trade to Boston Celtics 'a Christmas gift' from Phoenix Suns

Post by wideclyde Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:42 am

I would not blame the Suns for trading Thomas when they did. They made a trade from a surplus of point guards and got back a first round pick. Don't forget that Thomas was a second string player at the time.

Of course, the Suns wish now that they hadn't traded him, but no way could they have imagined that IT would have blossomed out like he has in his time in Boston. High five for Coach Stevens and his staff??

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Isaiah Thomas: Trade to Boston Celtics 'a Christmas gift' from Phoenix Suns Empty Re: Isaiah Thomas: Trade to Boston Celtics 'a Christmas gift' from Phoenix Suns

Post by dboss Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:02 am

When IT went to the Suns he was averaging 20 PPG

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:18 pm

it took him a long time to fight that stigma of winning with a 5'9" guard

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:01 pm

He sure has far exceeded my expectations.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:40 pm

Mine too.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:46 pm

dboss wrote:When IT  went  to the  Suns he  was averaging 20 PPG

The Suns tried to go with three alpha point guards. That caused jealousy and discontent from a couple of them, I'm sure all three were not happy with the situation. The Suns panicked and traded two of them away. They should have stepped back and thought about it before actually trading the two away that they should have kept.

Poor team management. Thanks, we appreciate your sucky decision making!

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:53 pm

Tonight Isaiah was the Celtics gift to Phoenix - he gave them the game.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down