Celtics Stifle Bulls on Bounce-Back Defensive Effort

2 posters

Go down

Celtics Stifle Bulls on Bounce-Back Defensive Effort Empty Celtics Stifle Bulls on Bounce-Back Defensive Effort

Post by bobheckler Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:18 pm

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/post-031217-celtics-stifle-bulls-bounce-back-defensive-effort

Celtics Stifle Bulls on Bounce-Back Defensive Effort 170312crowder

Posted: Mar 12, 2017

By Taylor C. Snow |  @taylorcsnow
Celtics.com

March 12, 2017

BOSTON – The Celtics’ defense drew a lot of criticism Friday night when it gave up 119 points during a 20-point loss in Denver.

They responded Sunday afternoon by producing their best defensive performance of the season back home at TD Garden.

Boston limited the Chicago Bulls to shoot just 37.9 percent from the field during a 100-80 win on national television. It marked the fewest points the Celtics have allowed since March 23, 2016 when it surrendered 79 points to the Toronto Raptors.

“It was big for us to come out with energy after a tough loss in Denver,” said Jae Crowder, who finished with a game-high 10 rebounds. “It speaks volumes of our guys in the locker room and how we approach every game. We came in with clear heads and tried to get this one.”

The clear-headed approach allowed Boston to produce one of its best defensive first quarters in recent memory. The Celtics limited Chicago to just 1-of-19 shooting from the field during the first 10-plus minutes of the opening frame – an effort that even shocked some of Boston’s players.

Avery Bradley says when he was subbed out of the game for the first time, he turned to his teammates in search of an answer behind their defensive domination.

“I was like, ‘Are we playing defense that good?’” Bradley later recalled. “And Al (Horford) looked over at me and was like, ‘Yeah man, we’re defending the pick-and-roll very well and we’re talking out there.’ He said it just felt completely different than the other night.”

During Friday’s first quarter, the Nuggets exploded out of the gate and shot 13-of-23 (56.5 percent) from the field. This time around, Boston limited its opponent to just 3-of-22 shooting (13.6 percent) during the opening frame, marking Chicago’s worst offensive first quarter since April 10, 1999.

The Celtics led 22-9 at the end of the first quarter and held a 46-26 advantage at halftime.

“They weren’t making shots, but I feel like our defense had a lot to do with that,” said Bradley, who tallied 17 points, six rebounds and three steals. “We were pressuring the ball. The first play of the game we were all into our guys, and I think that helped us out a lot. We set the tone.”

Boston focused largely on its interior defense against Chicago’s large, physical frontcourt. The C’s struggled in that area Friday night when the Nuggets dominated them, 58-28 in the paint.

This time, however, Boston came away with a 42-34 advantage in that department. Amazingly, Chicago didn’t muster a single point in the paint during the first quarter, becoming the first team this season that failed to make at least one field goal in the paint during a quarter.

“I thought Amir Johnson’s presence in there was terrific, and Al’s as well,” said Brad Stevens. “And our guards were really, really help-oriented before they got back to their own (guy).”

Boston’s perimeter defenders also did an outstanding job defending Jimmy Butler and Dwyane Wade. Chicago’s top two scorers were held to a combined total of 13 points, well below their collective average of 42.6 points per game.

The Celtics needed such a strong overall defensive effort in order to overcome a rather sloppy performance on the offensive end. Boston committed 21 turnovers – three shy of its season-high – but that was completely lost in the discussion thanks to the magnificent effort on the other end.

“To me, that’s my vision for this team – to go out there and play hard on the defensive end every single night,” said Bradley. “We know if we play that way we have a chance every single game, even if we aren’t making shots or making mistakes. Whenever the entire team is playing with that much energy on the defensive end good things happen, and that’s what happened (today).”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics Stifle Bulls on Bounce-Back Defensive Effort Empty Re: Celtics Stifle Bulls on Bounce-Back Defensive Effort

Post by jrleftfoot Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:03 pm

bobheckler wrote:http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/post-031217-celtics-stifle-bulls-bounce-back-defensive-effort

Celtics Stifle Bulls on Bounce-Back Defensive Effort 170312crowder

Posted: Mar 12, 2017

By Taylor C. Snow |  @taylorcsnow
Celtics.com

March 12, 2017

BOSTON – The Celtics’ defense drew a lot of criticism Friday night when it gave up 119 points during a 20-point loss in Denver.

They responded Sunday afternoon by producing their best defensive performance of the season back home at TD Garden.

Boston limited the Chicago Bulls to shoot just 37.9 percent from the field during a 100-80 win on national television. It marked the fewest points the Celtics have allowed since March 23, 2016 when it surrendered 79 points to the Toronto Raptors.

“It was big for us to come out with energy after a tough loss in Denver,” said Jae Crowder, who finished with a game-high 10 rebounds. “It speaks volumes of our guys in the locker room and how we approach every game. We came in with clear heads and tried to get this one.”

The clear-headed approach allowed Boston to produce one of its best defensive first quarters in recent memory. The Celtics limited Chicago to just 1-of-19 shooting from the field during the first 10-plus minutes of the opening frame – an effort that even shocked some of Boston’s players.

Avery Bradley says when he was subbed out of the game for the first time, he turned to his teammates in search of an answer behind their defensive domination.

“I was like, ‘Are we playing defense that good?’” Bradley later recalled. “And Al (Horford) looked over at me and was like, ‘Yeah man, we’re defending the pick-and-roll very well and we’re talking out there.’ He said it just felt completely different than the other night.”

During Friday’s first quarter, the Nuggets exploded out of the gate and shot 13-of-23 (56.5 percent) from the field. This time around, Boston limited its opponent to just 3-of-22 shooting (13.6 percent) during the opening frame, marking Chicago’s worst offensive first quarter since April 10, 1999.

The Celtics led 22-9 at the end of the first quarter and held a 46-26 advantage at halftime.

“They weren’t making shots, but I feel like our defense had a lot to do with that,” said Bradley, who tallied 17 points, six rebounds and three steals. “We were pressuring the ball. The first play of the game we were all into our guys, and I think that helped us out a lot. We set the tone.”

Boston focused largely on its interior defense against Chicago’s large, physical frontcourt. The C’s struggled in that area Friday night when the Nuggets dominated them, 58-28 in the paint.

This time, however, Boston came away with a 42-34 advantage in that department. Amazingly, Chicago didn’t muster a single point in the paint during the first quarter, becoming the first team this season that failed to make at least one field goal in the paint during a quarter.

“I thought Amir Johnson’s presence in there was terrific, and Al’s as well,” said Brad Stevens. “And our guards were really, really help-oriented before they got back to their own (guy).”

Boston’s perimeter defenders also did an outstanding job defending Jimmy Butler and Dwyane Wade. Chicago’s top two scorers were held to a combined total of 13 points, well below their collective average of 42.6 points per game.

The Celtics needed such a strong overall defensive effort in order to overcome a rather sloppy performance on the offensive end. Boston committed 21 turnovers – three shy of its season-high – but that was completely lost in the discussion thanks to the magnificent effort on the other end.

“To me, that’s my vision for this team – to go out there and play hard on the defensive end every single night,” said Bradley. “We know if we play that way we have a chance every single game, even if we aren’t making shots or making mistakes. Whenever the entire team is playing with that much energy on the defensive end good things happen, and that’s what happened (today).”

bob

Shows what I know. Ithought Amir had a bad game, based entirely on some turnovers and missed shots in the paint. It`s hard to gauge interior D on TV when the camera is always on the ball.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down