Nets interested in Thib

4 posters

Go down

Nets interested in Thib Empty Nets interested in Thib

Post by bobheckler Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:00 am

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/2010/04/20/2010-04-20_nets_have_eyes_for_thibodeau.html#ixzz0ld5d9ST0

If we lose Doc AND Tom T., that would screw us up big time because we'd lose any coherency in our coaching approach.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Nets interested in Thib Empty Re: Nets interested in Thib

Post by beat Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:04 am

Bob

I think he'll stick around here as Doc only has one year left and might not even come back for it. I think after Doc this year or next it is Thibs job.
But that owner in New Jersey likes to throw big money offers around. Hard to turn down 10+ million i'd think.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:30 am

With NJ looking to win the John Wall lottery, it may be hard to turn down.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:31 am

Bob: Instead of coherency, didn't you mean to use the word, continuity? Thibs has to make the right move for him when it is right. Timing is very important in life. If this team flames out early in the playoffs, and major personnel moves are made then losing Thibs wouldn't be as critical. If the C's make a deep run and the cast, with a few exceptions remains the same, his decsion about what to do with any potential Nets offer could be made with far fewer variables. In any case, Thibs has served the C's well during his tenure in Boston!-MD.

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:02 pm

MDCelticsFan wrote:Bob: Instead of coherency, didn't you mean to use the word, continuity? Thibs has to make the right move for him when it is right. Timing is very important in life. If this team flames out early in the playoffs, and major personnel moves are made then losing Thibs wouldn't be as critical. If the C's make a deep run and the cast, with a few exceptions remains the same, his decsion about what to do with any potential Nets offer could be made with far fewer variables. In any case, Thibs has served the C's well during his tenure in Boston!-MD.

MD,

Actually, I think coherency and continuity would both be appropriate. If you have players running around on defensive switches like chickens with their heads cut off because the maestro is gone and they're operating off of memories and not current discipline, it's hard to see where their defense is part of a scheme that is coherent and not purely reactive. If Thib and Doc both leave, there would also be an obvious continuity issue.

I agree that Thib has served the Celtics well in his tenure here. I'd like to see him stay, but couldn't blame him if he went to New Jersey or anywhere else IF Doc leaves and Thib doesn't get offered the job.

Even if Doc leaves and Thib gets the job, there will be a continuity issue nevertheless. The offensive playbook is Doc's, developed from the years he spent playing for Pat Riley. We would need a new offensive coordinator to replace the role Doc mostly filled and I wouldn't expect any of our current assistant coaches to fill that bill, although I might be wrong on this. I have the impression that our assistant coaches are more "player development" types, like Clifford Ray and Armond Hill. There are some good offensive assistant coaches in the NBA (e.g. Keith Smart of GSW, Brian Shaw of LAL to name two), but would they take an assistant coaching job with Boston when their head coaches are close to retiring? Would Thib stay as an assistant coach if they were offered the head coaching job? I doubt it, and I wouldn't blame him.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down