Jaylen Brown needs to 'become a lock-down defender' for Boston Celtics, says Brad Stevens

4 posters

Go down

Jaylen Brown needs to 'become a lock-down defender' for Boston Celtics, says Brad Stevens Empty Jaylen Brown needs to 'become a lock-down defender' for Boston Celtics, says Brad Stevens

Post by bobheckler Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:54 pm

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2017/08/boston_celtics_coach_brad_stev_11.html

Jaylen Brown needs to 'become a lock-down defender' for Boston Celtics, says Brad Stevens

Updated on August 21, 2017 at 4:35 PM

Posted on August 21, 2017 at 4:26 PM

Jaylen Brown needs to 'become a lock-down defender' for Boston Celtics, says Brad Stevens South-africa-nba-africa-game-8c45a351f1ce0640
Team World's Jaylen Brown of Boston Celtics, right, scramble for the ball with Team Africa's Thabo Sefolosha of Utah Jazz, during the NBA Africa Game between Team Africa and Team World, at the Dome in Johannesburg, South Africa, Saturday, Aug. 5, 2017. (AP Photo/Themba Hadebe)

By Tom Westerholm

Trading Avery Bradley was pretty indisputably the most difficult decision the Boston Celtics had to make this offseason, especially given how much they reportedly liked Jayson Tatum.

Now that he's gone, however, the Celtics will have to find someone else who can lock down opposing guards and wings. Brad Stevens, in an appearance on Chris Mannix's podcast Monday, said he hopes that person will be second-year wing Jaylen Brown.

"Jaylen has to become a lock-down defender for us," Stevens said. "That's where, as you go into an offseason and you are an individual player, there's a ton of things that you want to get better at, and there's a ton of things you want to add to your game, but ultimately, when you get back to your team, it's what do you do that's different to make your team unique to give yourself the best chance of adding value to winning. We need him to become that."

Brown had a solid rookie season, coming off the bench and earning minutes for the top-seeded Celtics. He was impressive defensively at times, taking on challenges like LeBron James. Stevens has noted previously that Brown was especially good at sticking players coming off screens -- locking up Bojan Bogdanovic in the Eastern Conference semifinals against the Washington Wizards. That off-ball defense earned him praise from new Philadelphia 76ers guard J.J. Redick earlier this summer.

Offensively, Brown showed flashes -- improved form on his jumper helped him knock down 34.1 percent of his 3-pointers, an increase from the (shorter) collegiate line where he made just 29 percent. He also found seams as a back-door cutter, rising up for dunks and making unsuspecting defenses pay for lapses in attention.

"The offensive side of the ball will take care of itself," Stevens told Mannix. "He'll continue to get better and better. He's gotten better at his shot, he's gotten better at creating, he's gotten better out of the pick-and-roll."

It's not completely clear where the Celtics see Brown slotting in this season, but Stevens may have given a hint -- noting that Bradley's absence opened up an opportunity for Brown.

"He works hard," Stevens said, with emphasis. "He's going to continue to be good at that stuff, but especially with losing Avery, it's going to be really important that Jaylen takes the next step defensively."

Brown might have an opportunity to start for the Celtics. If Stevens likes what Marcus Smart brings to the team off the bench -- and if he doesn't particularly care about having a traditional lineup right out of the gate that would include Aron Baynes -- Brown could take Bradley's place. That would (likely) give the Celtics a starting lineup of Isaiah Thomas, Brown, Hayward, Crowder and Horford -- a group that might not improve on last year's rebounding problems, but one with plenty of size and switching to cover for Thomas' defensive issues.

That would be a big step for Brown. Few second-year players start for a contender, and Stevens certainly isn't looking to do Brown any favors he doesn't deserve. But Brown's athleticism and skill set could fit nicely into what the Celtics are trying to do next season. If Brown can -- as Stevens put it -- add value to winning, his playing time and production might see a significant uptick.

bob
MY NOTE:  "Lock down defender" for a 2nd year player is asking a lot, although Bradley pulled it off (Bradley is also the best on-the-ball defender in the league and came into the league with an almost NBA-ready defense) but if he gets to be even close to that, then, he's the 5th starter.  A 6'7 (or, the rumor is, he grew another inch to 6'8") back court defender.  We still have a problem with "who is going to guard their quick guard, since it won't be IT?" but as far as matching up with bigger guards like 6'7" DeRozan or 6'5" Bradley Beal or 6'9" Ben Simmons that will be Jaylen's assignment.  I love Jae Crowder but I doubt he can stay in front of those guys and I don't think Hayward can either (besides, we want Hayward to play defense but not expend all his energy guarding their top back court scorer.  We need him to drop 20+ppg and that takes energy too).  Smart could get the nod but I think Brad will want Smart to stabilize the 2nd unit and be the back up point guard for IT.  If so it makes no sense to start him since that creates a vacuum for a ball-handler off the bench.

I'm expecting improvements from Rozier.  His defense is already quite good, he just needs to finish around the rim better.  I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude on Baynes and Theis and Tatum, but Jaylen?  He is, by far, the player I am most eager to watch this year.  I have very high hopes for him.  Everything I'm seeing and hearing is exactly what I want to see and hear.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Jaylen Brown needs to 'become a lock-down defender' for Boston Celtics, says Brad Stevens Empty Re: Jaylen Brown needs to 'become a lock-down defender' for Boston Celtics, says Brad Stevens

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:31 am

Bob I see him covering every position from 1-4 ala Scottie Pippen.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Jaylen Brown needs to 'become a lock-down defender' for Boston Celtics, says Brad Stevens Empty Re: Jaylen Brown needs to 'become a lock-down defender' for Boston Celtics, says Brad Stevens

Post by kdp59 Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:37 am

why is Rozier not seen as a solid back up ball handler?

I understand Smart is as well, but doesn't Smart seem like the guy to move into the defensive stopper role?

our current glut of wings will be an interesting thing to see sorted out as the season progresses. much like the glut of guards we had in the past.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:50 am

kdp59 wrote:why is Rozier not seen as a solid back up ball handler?

I understand Smart is as well, but doesn't Smart seem like the guy to move into the defensive stopper role?

our current glut of wings will be an interesting thing to see sorted out as the season progresses. much like the glut of guards we had in the past.

Rozier last year still didn't quite initiate the offense very well IMHO, he can bring the ball up, but still needs to add a lot more to his game.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:17 am

We don't have a pass first ball handler. Rozier, like IT, creates more when his shot attempt is thwarted. Rozier got benched last year because he couldn't hit his shot. If you can't make your shot in Brad's system, you don't play unless your name is Smart. I think Larkin is going to get a real shot to come off the bench and run the offense if he makes the team. Marcus is our top defender and Jaylen is being groomed to join him in stopping the best players on the other team. The second unit could be offensively challenged.
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:27 am

mulcogiseng wrote:We don't have a pass first ball handler. Rozier, like IT, creates more when his shot attempt is thwarted. Rozier got benched last year because he couldn't hit his shot. If you can't make your shot in Brad's system, you don't play unless your name is Smart. I think Larkin is going to get a real shot to come off the bench and run the offense if he makes the team. Marcus is our top defender and Jaylen is being groomed to join him in stopping the best players on the other team. The second unit could be offensively challenged.

mulcogi,

"The second unit could be offensively challenged."

1.  Smart - pretty good half-court floor general, terrible shooter.
2.  Tatum - shooter.  Will be the beneficiary of Smart's passing.
3.  Crowder, Brown, Morris - two will likely start, the other one will come off the bench.  All capable of hitting shots.
4.  Rozier - needs to improve his shooting, is on the floor for defense.
5.  Nader, Semi - scorers, especially Nader
6.  Theis - shot 41% from 3 last year and 64.5% from 2.
7.  Baynes - not a scorer, but will set picks for scorers (e.g. Tatum)

They might not have the explosive scoring the first unit, with IT and Hayward on it, but they have scorers too.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:20 pm

Hey Bob
Who is this IT guy you are talking about? Smile Sure doesn't take long for me to get proven wrong LOL what a trade!
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down