ESPN's Jeff Goodman on K&C: Isaiah Thomas helped Celtics attain credibility, but Kyrie Irving will help win titles

3 posters

Go down

ESPN's Jeff Goodman on K&C: Isaiah Thomas helped Celtics attain credibility, but Kyrie Irving will help win titles Empty ESPN's Jeff Goodman on K&C: Isaiah Thomas helped Celtics attain credibility, but Kyrie Irving will help win titles

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:32 pm

http://www.weei.com/blogs/alex-reimer/espns-jeff-goodman-kc-isaiah-thomas-helped-celtics-attain-credibility-kyrie-irving

ESPN's Jeff Goodman on K&C: Isaiah Thomas helped Celtics attain credibility, but Kyrie Irving will help win titles

ALEX REIMER

AUGUST 23, 2017 - 9:12 AM

As it stands today, the Cavaliers are still probably the best team in the Eastern Conference. But the Celtics didn’t acquire Kyrie Irving to knock off Cleveland this year. They did it to ensure championship contention for years to come.

In an interview Wednesday with “Kirk & Callahan,” ESPN’s Jeff Goodman said Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge is making a play for the next half-decade. Boston shipped Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder, Ante Zizic and the 2018 Nets pick to the Cavaliers Tuesday in exchange for Irving.

“Let’s face it: Isaiah was perfect for this team over the last two years, because they didn’t have anybody else who could make a play off the bounce. So he was ideal for this team the last two years to give them credibility,” Goodman explained. “I think Danny Ainge is looking at this saying, ‘Steph Curry is 29, Kevin Durant is 29.” In three or four years when you’ve got Gordon Hayward still in his prime, and Kyrie in his prime, and Jayson Tatum is going to be really good guys, really good. And, oh by the way, you may have a pick that’s 2-5 next year if that’s what the Lakers get.”

Goodman says the Celtics might still look to upgrade their roster this season and shop the 2018 Lakers or 2019 Kings pick (acquired from the 76ers) for center Marc Gasol or another star player. But even without an additional piece, Goodman still thinks the Celtics won the trade.

“You want to get the best player in the deal,” Goodman said. “To me, Kyrie is clearly the most talented player in this deal. You’re dealing Isaiah Thomas when his stock is pretty much at its pinnacle. I know he’s coming off the hip injury, but still: if you ever could’ve imagined when you got him a couple years ago, and got him for nothing, that you could turn that into Kyrie Irving, everybody and their mother would’ve said, ‘Absolutely. Do it, and don’t look back.’”

bob
MY NOTE: I don't often get a chance to toot my own horn, or even necessarily have someone agree with me, but here we have Jeff Goodman agreeing with me about Danny's "3-4 year window" perspective.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

ESPN's Jeff Goodman on K&C: Isaiah Thomas helped Celtics attain credibility, but Kyrie Irving will help win titles Empty Re: ESPN's Jeff Goodman on K&C: Isaiah Thomas helped Celtics attain credibility, but Kyrie Irving will help win titles

Post by BleedGreen Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:40 am

Nice work. Thanks for posting. I felt the same way.

Goodman is a good but not great reporter.

The notion of Gasol is silly in my opinion. Crowder was the best bet at making the salary in such a trade work and they could barely do it with him, Zizic or Yabu, Baynes and Rozier. I don't see how they can do it now or afford the insane lux tax implications even if they somehow could.

It did give me goosebumps to hear him say, "Tatum is going to be really, really good." Like, how good? Haha.

If he's 20% better than what I thought were pretty conservative "won't set the bar too high" comparisons I made (Jabari Parker and Tobias Harris or old school guys like Max and Tom Chambers), that will be a special player. The step up from solid 3rd/4th best player to all-star #2 guy is a really fun step. If Tatum will truly be much better than these type of guys I'd have to think it will be b/c of great rebounding it addition to 20+ ppg. If he rebounds like a Schrempf, Terry Cummings, Antawn Jamison type PF and scores like a Glenn Robinson, Bernard King, Paul George and Aguirre type SF that'd be pretty awesome.

Maybe God wants to somehow help make-up for Len Bias 30 years later?
BleedGreen
BleedGreen

Back to top Go down

ESPN's Jeff Goodman on K&C: Isaiah Thomas helped Celtics attain credibility, but Kyrie Irving will help win titles Empty Re: ESPN's Jeff Goodman on K&C: Isaiah Thomas helped Celtics attain credibility, but Kyrie Irving will help win titles

Post by steve3344 Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:44 am

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2017/08/24/celtics-should-two-team-race-nba-finals/LHGlhi9u7TstQWTkdzAOhJ/story.html?p1=AMP_Recirculation_Pos2

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down