Go down

Happy Birthday Empty Happy Birthday

Post by bobheckler Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:12 pm

Bill Doyle @BillDoyle15
about 43 minutes ago
Happy 83rd Birthday to Tommy Heinsohn.
reply retweet like

bob
MY NOTE:  A Celtic Treasure, Tommy Gun Heinsohn.  Drafted in 1956 he was 1957 ROY and scored 37 points and grabbed 23 rebounds in Game 7 of the 1957 NBA Finals vs St. Louis.  Still considered the #1 Finals Game 7 in NBA history.  10 rings for Tommy, including 2 as a head coach.  One of only 4 people to be in the NBA HOF as both a player and a coach (Lenny Wilkens, John Wooden, Bill Sharman and Tommy) and one of only 3 who are in the NBA HOF (Wooden in as a college player and college coach).

1. St. Louis at Boston, NBA Finals, April 12+, 1957
It took two overtimes before the Celtics prevailed over the Hawks 125-123. Tommy Heinsohn -- Rookie of the Year and one of three Hall of Famers drafted by Boston in 1956 (the others were Bill Russell and KC Jones) -- scored 37 points and snatched 23 rebounds in Game 7. Heinsohn and reserve center Arnie Risen fouled out. On the Hawks side, Cliff Hagan, Jack Coleman and Jim McMahon succumbed to referees' whistles. How important was Heinsohn? Bill Sharman and Bob Cousy shot a combined 5-for-40, that's how important. Bill Russell flourished with 19 points, 32 rebounds and 5 blocks. Each Celtic walked off with a victory share of $1,681.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Happy Birthday Empty Re: Happy Birthday

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:35 pm

And announcer, named this last year. Hated it because Johnny Most has not been recognized , he may have been a homer but he kept the fire burning when the team needed it. Tommy has been trying for years to get Johnny inducted, just like Chick Hearn
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:57 pm

It's always a little amusing (when its not infuriating) to hear people dismiss Tommy as a homer. He imparts more solid basketball wisdom and understanding than most announcers. I'm talking about how he explains the game and what could be done better. He knows how the game should be played because he played that way, he coached that way, so of course, he announces that way.

As far as Johnny Most is concerned,he brought the game to life. I never had a problem watching the game and listening to his description. Yes, there were those times that I marveled at how off the tv picture was compared to what he was saying. I mean really, there were times when "He's in his shirt" was as true as could be. I loved him and miss his voice and always, always enjoy clips where he provides the audio. A real travesty he isn't in the HOF.
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:32 pm

Before Sam passed away we both wrote to the HOF and gave our thoughts on Johnny Most. In fact, if you went back to that time you could find a post requesting others do the same thing. I even got my son, who usually is as quiet as a church mouse, to write the hall and ask why Johnny was being shunned.

You know what was so ironic? Last year when they were advertising the finals playoff games, they would show clips of old playoff games and the voice of the announcer was none other than Johnny. How's disgusting that they don't mind using him now that he is dead but refuse to acknowledge that he was part of basketball from the very beginning. I can still hear him say "Good evening, this is Johnny Most, high above court side". Sends chills down my spine.

The NBA should be ashamed. Sam tried to find out who the people were who voted for the Hall, he found that it was all secret and their names are never released. Kind of strange, huh.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down