NYCelt
mrkleen09
wideclyde
kdp59
bobheckler
10 posters

Go down

Last Year's Bench vs This Year's Bench

Last Year's Bench vs This Year's Bench Vote_lcap50%Last Year's Bench vs This Year's Bench Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 7 ]
Last Year's Bench vs This Year's Bench Vote_lcap21%Last Year's Bench vs This Year's Bench Vote_rcap 21% 
[ 3 ]
Last Year's Bench vs This Year's Bench Vote_lcap21%Last Year's Bench vs This Year's Bench Vote_rcap 21% 
[ 3 ]
Last Year's Bench vs This Year's Bench Vote_lcap7%Last Year's Bench vs This Year's Bench Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 14

Last Year's Bench vs This Year's Bench Empty Last Year's Bench vs This Year's Bench

Post by bobheckler Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:56 am

Last year our starters were considered to be ok, not that great overall, but our strength was our bench over the course of an 82 game season.  How about this coming year?  Is our bench a strength, a liability or just ok?  Obviously, there are unknowns, there are players who have skills but have never played in an NBA game yet, but I'm asking for your current opinion about how you feel about our roster as of today (for all we know Bogut might decide to sign with us tomorrow which will either push Morris to the bench or will have Bogut coming off the bench and that would change things). Has Danny improved the bench?

I will allow vote changes, so that you can adjust your vote if/when Bogut signs (or Trader Danny isn't done).  Feel free to qualify your votes.  If, for example, you think we're stronger up front but weaker in the back court, then say so. Better overall, but weaker in a specific skill set? Fine, pick 'Better' and add your qualifier.

2016-2017....................................2017-2018
Kelly Olynyk..................................Aron Baynes
Jonas Jerebko................................Daniel Theis
Terry Rozier...................................Terry Rozier
Marcus Smart................................Marcus Smart
Jaylen Brown.................................Jaylen Brown (both he and Smart started some, this year might be the same, both are returning players)
Gerald Green.................................Jayson Tatum
Jordan Mickey................................Semi Ojaleye
Tyler Zeller....................................Guerschon Yabusele
James Young.................................Abdel Nader

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Last Year's Bench vs This Year's Bench Empty Re: Last Year's Bench vs This Year's Bench

Post by kdp59 Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:06 am

Bench is worst, but starters are better.

elite players are what wins in the NBA...not bench players.

I like how you broke out the players form last year to this, makes comparisons easier for sure.

I would have but Jerebko- Tatum together, as I think Tatums minutes will be closer to Jonas' than Greens last year.

then I guess I'd have to move
Theis -Mickey
Olajele-Green

But I see where you tried to put players closer to positions then minutes.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Last Year's Bench vs This Year's Bench Empty Re: Last Year's Bench vs This Year's Bench

Post by bobheckler Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:58 am

kdp59 wrote:Bench is worst, but starters are better.

elite players are what wins in the NBA...not bench players.

I like how you broke out the players form last year to this, makes comparisons easier for sure.

I would have but Jerebko- Tatum together, as I think Tatums minutes will be closer to Jonas' than Greens last year.

then I guess I'd have to move
Theis -Mickey
Olajele-Green

But I see where you tried to put players closer to positions then minutes.

kdp,

Yeah, I tried to match up by position rather than by minutes. I have no firm idea how many minutes Brad will be giving players but I do have some idea as to their size, skill sets and likely roles.

Should have included Demetrius Jackson and Shane Larkin.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:02 pm

I don't think that we can measure our bench strength by comparing a group that was together for 82 games (last year) and a bench that has not even practiced yet together (this year).

It does appear that this year's bunch has more physical talent but less NBA experience. However, no comparing them until next June.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:20 pm

^^100% agree.

In many cases, we are trying to match players with completely different skillsets.

If Olynyk had 12 points and 4 rebounds in a game, but got beat on defensive 5 or 6 times - is that better than reversing those numbers and seeing Baynes with 4 points and 12 rebounds? I would say no, with this team, we need rebounding more than points off the bench.

If Gerald Green goes for 18 points one night then scores 4 points in the next three games, and Tatum goes for 8 points 4 games in a row, who is better?  I say Tatum - as not only is he likely to be more consistent, but he will be learning on the job, ready to really contribute for the next 5 years.

Jonas was terribly inconsistent, but we dont have a proven player to replace him.  Maybe Theis maybe Semi - who knows.

But other wise, the rest of the list from last year did little to nothing.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:45 pm

A little voice tells me this looks like one of those questions that are better answered in April!
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:23 pm

NYCelt wrote:A little voice tells me this looks like one of those questions that are better answered in April!

Same voice told me that Bob really needs the games to start soon !!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:57 pm

NYCelt wrote:A little voice tells me this looks like one of those questions that are better answered in April!

NYCelt

Pearls of wisdom NYCelt - so many big time ifs involved especially when you factor in the outcome of the big trade with the Cavs and the potential ramification on the Eastern Conference race.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by hawksnestbeach Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:50 am

Of course we don't know how well this year's bench will do, or even exactly who won't start, but I think the talent is there to be much better. Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:14 am

I love engaging in hypothetical questions Very Happy

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the bench will be better. It'll take some time for them to become a cohesive unit but I'm confident that Stevens can get them ready.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:50 pm

Given the Smart, Rozier, and Brown were on the bench lsst year, if they are on the bench this year they will be better, hence the bench will be better.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down