Danny Ainge says he traded Brooklyn pick for Kyrie Irving because he owed it to Gordon Hayward and Al Horford

4 posters

Go down

Danny Ainge says he traded Brooklyn pick for Kyrie Irving because he owed it to Gordon Hayward and Al Horford Empty Danny Ainge says he traded Brooklyn pick for Kyrie Irving because he owed it to Gordon Hayward and Al Horford

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:44 am

http://celticswire.com/2017/09/27/558-danny-ainge-kyrie-irving-brooklyn-pick-gordon-hayward-al-horford-brad-stevens/

Danny Ainge says he traded Brooklyn pick for Kyrie Irving because he owed it to Gordon Hayward and Al Horford Screen-shot-2017-09-27-at-10-17-45-pm

Danny Ainge says he traded Brooklyn pick for Kyrie Irving because he owed it to Gordon Hayward and Al Horford

By: Jared Weiss | 11 hours ago

Danny Ainge has spent much of the last month explaining why he made such a bold move to trade for Kyrie Irving. His conference call just after the trade was an experience in collective head scratching and the questions have continued since.

Although the further developments of Isaiah Thomas’ injury illuminated some of the rationale for why Ainge gave up such a grand package for Irving, it remains a bold move that takes a big bet on Irving. But in an interview with CSNNE’s Abby Chin and Brian Scalabrine – who once played for Ainge – the Celtics’ President of Basketball Operations revealed another motivation for the deal.

“I think signing Gordon Hayward and Al Horford, I felt I had a responsibility to give them a chance,” Ainge said. “I think that that Brooklyn pick, I think can be really, really exciting there. I think Cleveland could have a really good pick there, but it’s probably going to be a big man that’s 19-years-old that probably needs a couple of years to develop that can probably develop in to a franchise player.”

Ainge spent years preaching the value of draft picks as a versatile asset, but the message has begun to turn toward solidifying assets into liquidity. Irving was one of the most coveted building blocks in the league because he already has a proven track record as the second-best player on a historic championship team – who consistently elevates their scoring to an MVP level in the playoffs – but is still just entering his prime. He has two years remaining on his deal, could sign a max extension, and still be in the tail end of his prime when that next deal is up.

“Kyrie has proven that he is a sure thing, that’s 25 and can really play right now,” said Ainge. “I think that’s fair for Brad, that’s fair for Gordon and Al. And it will give a chance for Jayson and Jaylen and those guys to develop.”

Most importantly, after some historic roster turnover for a team that made the conference finals the year before, Ainge made what seemed almost like a calming promise to his own squad.

“We have a young team and we feel like we can have them together for a while.”

Not that an implication of desired continuity should be taken as a declaration of permanence from Ainge. But on the seventh day, the basketball gods rested…and open practice is this Sunday.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Danny Ainge says he traded Brooklyn pick for Kyrie Irving because he owed it to Gordon Hayward and Al Horford Empty Re: Danny Ainge says he traded Brooklyn pick for Kyrie Irving because he owed it to Gordon Hayward and Al Horford

Post by dboss Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:02 am

I think that the investment in AH given his age puts Boston in a win now mode.  But I would still like to see Boston draft or acquire a young elite level big to play under the tutelage of Horford.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Danny Ainge says he traded Brooklyn pick for Kyrie Irving because he owed it to Gordon Hayward and Al Horford Empty Re: Danny Ainge says he traded Brooklyn pick for Kyrie Irving because he owed it to Gordon Hayward and Al Horford

Post by k_j_88 Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:26 pm

We still have some first rounders in the pipeline. Finding another big to groom under Horford is possible... provided Ainge actually picks a really good one this time unlike: Olynyk, Sullinger, Melo, etc.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:59 pm

It will be a first for Danny to draft a really superior big. Here's hoping he does.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down