KyleCleric
cowens/oldschool
NYCelt
bobheckler
11 posters

Go down

Post Game Thread - @ Cleveland Empty Post Game Thread - @ Cleveland

Post by bobheckler Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:41 pm

Well, other than that, how'd you enjoy the game Mrs. Hayward?

Smart went from doing nothing right (0-10 at one point?) to posting up everybody on the Cavs except LeBron.  9 boards.

Tatum off looking very lost but ended up with 14 points on 5-11 and 10 boards in 36 minutes.  What I liked was the 3 assists and only 1 TO.  Nice start for the rook after looking very lost in the 1st half.

Jaylen was a monster.  25 points on 11-23.  5 boards and guarded LeBron.  2-6 from 3.  Don't need to take them, Jaylen.

Kyrie had 9 points in the first half and then woke up.

They made us proud in the 2nd half.  They were shook to the core in the 1st half with the injury to Hayward but whatever Brad said at halftime worked.  I understand that Hayward was moved from the Cavs locker room to the Celtic locker room, so maybe he had something to say too.

This injury changes everything.  It was gruesome.  They are saying it's a broken ankle, but it was turned at least 90 degrees.  There has to be some ligament or tendon damage there.  Right now, somewhere, Gerald Green is out in the back yard throwing up some shots.

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400974437

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post Game Thread - @ Cleveland Empty Re: Post Game Thread - @ Cleveland

Post by NYCelt Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:51 pm

Smart, Brown, Tatum, and Rozier showing a glimmer of the potential for this team.

Hard to get too hyped up after one game, especially when it is just the first season game ever as a pro for one of them. Still, I think this barely old enough to shave group could be responsible for some highlights this season.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:05 am

Seeing us flounder after Haywards gruesome injury, you could see whole team wasn't into the game. Reminded me of Perk going down in game 6 10 Finals, but then Cavs suddenly looked old. Jaylen started attacking, Smart started posting, next thing you know Tatum drove and finished right by Lebron and grit and Celtic Pride came out....we just needed one more play or stop. 

Rozier with soft layup attempt stuffed by Lebron had a wide open Jaylen open as a trailer, either go up hard and dunk or dish to the bigger wide open teammate. Smarts shot wasn't there after being so on during preseason, he then went to the inside, doing what he does. Baynes threw his body around, hope we can see Theis soon.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:10 am

It was a tough game to watch.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:58 am

Jaylen might have been a "monster" but he had a wide open three from the right side with about 1:20 to go that would have put us up four and probably would've won the game but he missed. That was the killer.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:10 am

Green makes a lot of sense for that 15th spot now.

Richard Jefferson could be a better option for one year, though Green certainly should be able to step right in the 10th spot.

we need Morris back soon and either Theis or Yabusele to step up now.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:26 am

Went from giddy like a kid on Christmas to holding my mouth and gasping out loud.  Gruesome injury and hard to predict how long the recovery will be.

The Celtics took their lumps in the minutes following and then came out in the second half and showed the kind of heart and resilience that you dont expect a team this young to have.  Kyrie was great and loved the physicality that Baynes brings.  He battled with Thompson, knocked Crowder on his ass and took Lebron on, on a few drives without any hesitation.

After settling in, Tatum was great as well.  14 points and 10 rebounds on any night is a very solid effort, but as a 19 year old in game one in the NBA -very promising.

I dont want start the season arguing with fellow posters - but are you for real here?

steve3344 wrote:Jaylen might have been a "monster" but he had a wide open three from the right side with about 1:20 to go that would have put us up four and probably would've won the game but he missed. That was the killer.

After that injury and having to guard Lebron all night a 20 year old puts up 25 points and all that effort and you are criticizing a shot he missed?  That is some weak shit right there Steve.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:10 am

Hi,
I hope GH is as OK as he could be after such a gruesome injury. Wish him full recovery.
A few notes on the game.
TR looked like he was running around statures of Rose and Wade.
Smart was a monster on defense and Korver is filing harassment suite against him.
As many predicted the team game is very raw, it'll take a while to gel.
Quite a few rookie/inexperience mistakes for JT and JB. But overall very good outing for both. JB, IMO, did a great job defending Lebron.
I think Baynes did a good job covering Tompson, OTOH he had quite a few "oops" defending p-n-r
I didn't understand why Brad didn't put Theis in. I didn't see anything good from Ojeleye.
As for the Cavs, they look old. Nonetheless, they're still the team to beat.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:34 am

mrkleen09 wrote:Went from giddy like a kid on Christmas to holding my mouth and gasping out loud.  Gruesome injury and hard to predict how long the recovery will be.

The Celtics took their lumps in the minutes following and then came out in the second half and showed the kind of heart and resilience that you dont expect a team this young to have.  Kyrie was great and loved the physicality that Baynes brings.  He battled with Thompson, knocked Crowder on his ass and took Lebron on, on a few drives without any hesitation.

After settling in, Tatum was great as well.  14 points and 10 rebounds on any night is a very solid effort, but as a 19 year old in game one in the NBA -very promising.

I dont want start the season arguing with fellow posters - but are you for real here?

steve3344 wrote:Jaylen might have been a "monster" but he had a wide open three from the right side with about 1:20 to go that would have put us up four and probably would've won the game but he missed. That was the killer.

After that injury and having to guard Lebron all night a 20 year old puts up 25 points and all that effort and you are criticizing a shot he missed?  That is some weak shit right there Steve.

Hard to find fault with these young guys. They were in uncharted water. Jaylen looks like he will be special. Tatum looks like he will be special. I was very pleased with the way they came back and pushed the Cavs to the limit.

dboss

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Pumpsie Green Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:34 am

kdp59 wrote:Green makes a lot of sense for that 15th spot now.

Richard Jefferson could be a better option for one year, though Green certainly should be able to step right in the 10th spot.

we need Morris back soon and either Theis or Yabusele to step up now.

I think I heard that Jefferson signed a one year deal with another team. Green makes sense now. Haven't heard if/when Hayward is expected back. With him in the lineup I think we could have challenged the Cavs this year...but not the Warriors. No one is going to touch them as long as their core is healthy and together.
Pumpsie Green
Pumpsie Green

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:23 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:Went from giddy like a kid on Christmas to holding my mouth and gasping out loud.  Gruesome injury and hard to predict how long the recovery will be.

Gee, I didn't know we are not allowed to mention when a player who had an otherwise good game misses a wide open shot in the final minute or so that could've won a huge, emotional game for us. Glad to know those are the rules of this board. And that you're the enforcer. Got it.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:29 pm

I dont administer the rules of the board. Just calling out a petty, nitpicking comment that tried to diminish a great game from Jaylen. You watched that performance last night and THAT was your take away? Got it.

mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:46 pm

No matter what, any team with LeBron on it will always be vulnerable to a Celtics team. No way the Celtics should have been close in this one. Yet they were. Part of the Celtics ID is how resilient they are and how willingly they take the leftovers and make something of it. This will be another year where Brad's insistence that the team stay in the moment and try to get better as they play will be a signature for this team.

JB played a gutsy game. He is what he is. He makes similar silly mistakes, he takes shots he probably shouldn't, He is much more of a scorer than a shooter at this point in his career. He can't quite get it done on his own yet. But he is getting closer. The NBA game is about being consistent. The C's need Jaylen to be the second option after Kyrie. Jaylen needs to be patient, play within the system, and make his next game just a productive.

JT just had his minutes assured. He is going to rise to this challenge. He needs to remember all the things that he is supposed to do but not think about it. He has a relaxed and confident attitude on the court and he needs to maintain that. Part of letting the game slow down means not trying to do too much. We need to see much more of the second half Jayson in future games.

Marcus did not improve his shot during the offseason. He is lucky to be in a system where one's strengths are enhanced. He does many things well but shooting and scoring are not amongst them. His first half cost us the game. He has to be a facilitator on this team not a scorer. This doesn't mean that he can't score or put up some good numbers from time to time but that should not be the expectation. Kyrie, TRo, and Shane are all ball handlers who look for their shot first. Marcus can't play like that, he just isn't good nor consistent enough to not look to improve others rather than pad his own stats.

I'm surprised that DT didn't play. He should get some action tonight and that will be interesting to see. He's a solid, get the dirty work done, kind of player.

He hasn't shown it yet during preseason but Bear has the kind of game that could become crucial as a result of the injury to GH. He can board and he can score and he can create his own shot, after a fashion. The NBA game is still a little too fast for him but only playing will change that.

Right now the burden to overcome the injury is probably going to rest on Morris' shoulders. He has to get healthy and shake off the rust. He is a couple of weeks behind so will need at least one more week to start pulling it together.

At some point all team sports become about overcoming adversity. Far too many members of the pro media, not to mention some on this very board, have been counting this team out. Adversity in most situations and this one in particular are all about "next man up". But that doesn't mean that the next guy is expected to make up all the difference himself. The team has to do it on the floor and the fans have to do it from our seats. I have no doubts that the C's can still vie for top seed and a spot in the ECF. We have only lost one player. There are 13 others ready to take up the challenge.

The Celtics have a very important test coming up. Can't wait to see how they execute.

mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:10 pm

mulcogiseng wrote:No matter what, any team with LeBron on it will always be vulnerable to a Celtics team. No way the Celtics should have been close in this one. Yet they were. Part of the Celtics ID is how resilient they are and how willingly they take the leftovers and make something of it. This will be another year where Brad's insistence that the team stay in the moment and try to get better as they play will be a signature for this team.

JB played a gutsy game. He is what he is. He makes similar silly mistakes, he takes shots he probably shouldn't, He is much more of a scorer than a shooter at this point in his career. He can't quite get it done on his own yet. But he is getting closer. The NBA game is about being consistent. The C's need Jaylen to be the second option after Kyrie. Jaylen needs to be patient, play within the system, and make his next game just a productive.

JT just had his minutes assured. He is going to rise to this challenge. He needs to remember all the things that he is supposed to do but not think about it. He has a relaxed and confident attitude on the court and he needs to maintain that. Part of letting the game slow down means not trying to do too much. We need to see much more of the second half Jayson in future games.

Marcus did not improve his shot during the offseason. He is lucky to be in a system where one's strengths are enhanced. He does many things well but shooting and scoring are not amongst them. His first half cost us the game. He has to be a facilitator on this team not a scorer. This doesn't mean that he can't score or put up some good numbers from time to time but that should not be the expectation. Kyrie, TRo, and Shane are all ball handlers who look for their shot first. Marcus can't play like that, he just isn't good nor consistent enough to not look to improve others rather than pad his own stats.

I'm surprised that DT didn't play. He should get some action tonight and that will be interesting to see. He's a solid, get the dirty work done, kind of player.

He hasn't shown it yet during preseason but Bear has the kind of game that could become crucial as a result of the injury to GH. He can board and he can score and he can create his own shot, after a fashion. The NBA game is still a little too fast for him but only playing will change that.

Right now the burden to overcome the injury is probably going to rest on Morris' shoulders. He has to get healthy and shake off the rust. He is a couple of weeks behind so will need at least one more week to start pulling it together.

At some point all team sports become about overcoming adversity. Far too many members of the pro media, not to mention some on this very board, have been counting this team out. Adversity in most situations and this one in particular are all about "next man up". But that doesn't mean that the next guy is expected to make up all the difference himself. The team has to do it on the floor and the fans have to do it from our seats. I have no doubts that the C's can still vie for top seed and a spot in the ECF. We have only lost one player. There are 13 others ready to take up the challenge.

The Celtics have a very important test coming up. Can't wait to see how they execute.

mulcogiseng

I like your positive message.

I had to watch the game last night on TNT and listen to Barkley and Shaq at halftime dismiss the Celtics saying they would be lucky to finish 4th or 5th.

Those guys are morons.

I am confident that the Celtics will be a great team this year. They may not win the title but they will be in the mix this season.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:48 pm

I don't think anybody is counting this team out.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down