Celtics #3 in New Power Rankings

5 posters

Go down

Celtics #3 in New Power Rankings Empty Celtics #3 in New Power Rankings

Post by dboss Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:37 am

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21265048/nba-power-rankings-our-expert-panel-unveils-rankings-week-4

10 games in and Boston just jumped 6 spots to #3.  GSW at 1 and the Rockets at two.

Who would have imagine after the loss of Hayward that Boston would be rolling along at 8-2.

The reason has not been because we are a dynamic offensive team at least not yet.  The reason is defense.  The Celtics are very difficult to score against.  It seems every player on this team wants to play great defense.  Our wing depth may be the best in the league.  There are few mismatches against our team.  All the concerns that I had about losing AB and JC have melted away.

The Celtics are quicker, faster and longer than any team in Brad's tenure.

We have not played the top teams yet except for OKC and SA and the Cavs.  Let's see how we play Washington, Toronto GSW and Houston.  Those teams all have big time fire power.  

The only team in the NBA that can play with GSW is the Celtics.  But it is one game at a time.  Bring on the so-called elite teams.

Go Celts!

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Celtics #3 in New Power Rankings Empty Re: Celtics #3 in New Power Rankings

Post by Phil Pressey Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:38 pm

I look at it a bit differently. My test for how good the Celtics are is by how they handle the mediocre and bad teams. I think that gives us a better idea of what tier we are truly in. We aren't them? As in Washington and Milwaukee? I'm ready to confidently say Washington is a poser team and the Bucks aren't ready.

I have never believed in Houston the last several years. They remind me of the Clippers, always getting hype and never going that far.

So I am already assuming we are in the top tier and the only team we might not be able to compete with is Golden State. We will lose some games here and there. We will win most games (with the disclaimer a team needs to maintain good health and stamina). It seems like most of us are not too surprised how good we are despite losing Hayward. Yes, most probably thought we'd be 6-4 not win eight in a row. But it still feels that the rest of the league and talking heads are a bit hesitant to call us the truth.

Shaq called Pierce the Truth. We could see it, but Shaq then confirmed it for the whole league.

We deserve as much hype as anyone including Harden and the Rockets.

Think of all the people who thought despite the Irving trade, we probably were still not in their tier. It could take another year or two. We need to wait a few more years for LeBron to slow down, maybe Golden State hits reality and can't keep everyone.

I don't think that way. If there is Golden State and everyone else, then we are the best of everyone else and will keep improving. Then why be scared of the Warriors? Why not us?

I think we should be ranked #2. I get that the season is early and Golden State is the reigning champ, but no other team seems that intimidating. I'm feeling a lot of confidence right now.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:39 pm

Didnt agree with ESPN in their pre season doom and gloom, and not interested in their early season ass kissing.  

Celtics are being built for long term viability.  This season without Gordon is ALL GRAVY.  Go out, play hard, have fun, throw Rozier, Semi, Tatum and Brown to the wolves and let the figure it out.  In a year or two - this team will still be young, but also battle tested and ready to take on anyone.

And if Steph Curry or KD gets hurt - who knows.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:50 pm

USA Today has the Celtics at #1. Who am I to argue that?!?!Basketball
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:38 pm

I am not sure that beating up on bad teams means you are a good team.

Until Boston can consistently beat elite teams where they rank will be in doubt.

A perfect example is the Raptors.  We avoided having to play them in the playoffs and that was a good thing because they have pretty much owned the Celtics. 

Washington and Cleveland are two other teams that the Celtics have struggled with.  

I agree that good teams must first beat the teams they are supposed to but Elite teams can beat everyone.

Strength of schedule is an important variable in ranking teams.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:23 pm

last year Boston had a losing regular season record against playoff teams.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:49 pm

Being #3 in the power rankings seems legit to me. GSW are hitting their stride and Houston is still very much a high-powered, offensive juggernaut. We don't know how this team will play them just yet. But I will say this much: we are built to be their Kryptonite.

The way we defend against backcourts, wings, and bigs is elite. We finally have the length and athleticism to get after the most adept offensive players.

I suspect that we will finally overtake Toronto, Cleveland, and Washington.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down