Al Horford will miss again at some point, but shooting evolution appears to be complete

2 posters

Go down

Al Horford will miss again at some point, but shooting evolution appears to be complete Empty Al Horford will miss again at some point, but shooting evolution appears to be complete

Post by bobheckler Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:39 pm

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2017/11/boston_celtics_analysis_al_hor_2.html

Boston Celtics analysis: Al Horford will miss again at some point, but shooting evolution appears to be complete

Updated 8:46 AM; Posted Today 8:00 AM

Al Horford will miss again at some point, but shooting evolution appears to be complete Al-horfordsteven-adams-1f5172cc70c1c64f
Boston Celtics forward Al Horford (42) shoots in front of Oklahoma City Thunder center Steven Adams during the fourth quarter of an NBA basketball game in Oklahoma City, Friday, Nov. 3, 2017. Boston won 101-94. (AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki)

By Jay King

One of the most critical developments for this Boston Celtics season started years ago in Atlanta. Al Horford, with the Hawks then, started to work the 3-point shot into his game. His evolution didn't happen overnight, but look at him now.

Through 10 games, Horford ranks ninth in 3-point percentage - a startling step for a big man who attempted 29 total 3-pointers over his first seven seasons. Horford has made each of his last seven attempts from behind the arc, including three triples during the final minutes of a comeback win against the Oklahoma City Thunder. By becoming a force spreading the court, he has made things easier for all of his teammates, including star point guard Kyrie Irving. And better yet, Horford's improvements appear to be real.

Will the veteran shoot 51.5 percent from behind the arc forever? Probably not. Nobody does. But dating back to the beginning of last year's playoffs, Horford has made 44 out of 85 tries from that distance (51.7 percent). Extend the sample size back to the beginning of March, and Horford has drilled 62 of his last 127 3-point attempts (48.8 percent).

It would be easy to discount that as a hot streak, but it might be the new reality. Horford has always shot near that percentage on long jump shots. He just used to do it from inside the arc. According to Basketball-Reference.com, he has shot 46.7 percent for his career on 2-pointers longer than 16 feet. Now, he's just doing it a few feet farther from the rim.

"I thought when we were playing against Al, the last couple of years he was in Atlanta, obviously, he was expanding his range and extending it," Celtics head coach Brad Stevens said recently. "He was shooting 34-35 whatever it was percent. Last year, I felt like as the season went on, he just became even more comfortable and more comfortable. Now he's four or five years into the kind of transition from the 3 and it looks good every time it leaves his hand. It looks good in practice every time it leaves his hand. He's made himself into one heck of a shooter. He kind of stayed ahead of the curve with where the game was going. All the credit goes to him for that." 

"It's been a process," Horford explained. "I feel like you get over everybody telling you, 'Oh, don't shoot the ball. 

Get in the post. What are you doing?' I've been very fortunate to have coaches, from my time in Atlanta to here with Coach (Brad) Stevens, always encouraging me. I've always believed in my shot, just kept working on it and taking advantage of these opportunities. There's always a balance for me, getting it to the paint and driving but also taking what the defense gives you."

How much does Horford's evolution matter? After scorching the Earth with 66.8-percent true shooting during last season's playoffs, he's almost on pace for the same mark this season (66.0 percent), which would obliterate his career high (59.4 percent). According to Basketball-Reference, Horford currently ranks 10th league-wide in that measurement of scoring efficiency. Most of the players above him are low-usage guys. The others? Stephen Curry, LeBron James and Kevin Durant.

Horford's additional range makes it more difficult for defenders to stop him in closeout situations (he's great driving to his right and finding open teammates) and gives the other Celtics several more feet of space (no small deal for an otherwise average offense). In pivotal moments, the Celtics have turned to the Irving-Horford two man game - and it has smashed opposing defenses. 

Averaging 14.6 points, 9.1 rebounds and 4.3 assists per game, Horford has been a monster this season. He's rebounding better than ever, defending at an all-world level and delivering at all the right times. The deadly 3-point shooting only adds to everything else he does. 

bob
MY NOTE:  It's hard to overstate just how big a deal this is.  Big men don't like leaving the paint.  They don't have to be as mobile, they don't have to run as far, they don't want to give up the easy shot but when your man is killing you from deep you have no choice.  And when they leave the paint that opens the floor wide-open for our slashing wings.  And if he leaves Al to help on a cutter Al is back to being wide open.  "Average Al" is not.  9th?  I don't know if Kevin Love was ever in the top 10 but, if not, I'll bet you have to go way back, maybe even to Bird, to find a big that shoots from range like Horford.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Al Horford will miss again at some point, but shooting evolution appears to be complete Empty Re: Al Horford will miss again at some point, but shooting evolution appears to be complete

Post by dboss Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:49 pm

As many have stated before AH is a perfect fit for the Celtics.  Few centers are able to go out there and check him on the perimeter

The other center who has also transitioned and shoots a nice 3 ball is Lopez LAL.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down