Mapping out the Celtics' next super long win streak

4 posters

Go down

Mapping out the Celtics' next super long win streak Empty Mapping out the Celtics' next super long win streak

Post by bobheckler Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:42 am

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/mapping-celtics-next-super-long-050215020.html

Mapping out the Celtics' next super long win streak

DJ Bean,NBC Sports Boston Hace 11 horas

That Celtics win streak was dope. Let's map out an even longer one that probably won't happen. 

Nobody's actually expecting them to keep the pace they've established with their recently concluded run. Still, with 63 games remaining, there's still time for the Celtics to have up to three win streaks of even longer than 16 games. So, because it's the holidays and the holidays are all about positivity (fun move you've probably picked up from movies: You can say "the holidays are all about _____" and just put in whatever you want and it will work), let's map out the next win streak. 

A big part of the Celtics' 16-gamer (and get ready to say "duh") is that they were better than a lot of the teams they beat. But they also beat one team that was without question better than them and beat a few teams that could certainly beat them on any given night. 

Here's a rough breakdown of the 16 games: 

- Even if they didn't go as smoothly as anticipated, nine games were against what could be classified as easy prey based on their rosters and how those teams were playing: The 76ers, the Knicks, the Kings, the Hawks twice, the Lakers, the Hornets, the Nets and the Mavericks. 

- Let's say that the Heat (whom they played and beat during the streak before Miami snapped the streak Wednesday) and Magic weren't perceived pushovers, but rather unremarkable opponents. 

- Four games were against what one could call worthy opponents for the Celtics: the Bucks, the Spurs (though they were missing Kawhi Leonard), the Thunder and the Raptors. 

- Nobody was ever pretending the Celtics were actually better than the Warriors. 

So that breaks the 16 games into one game against an unequivocally superior opponent, four against worthy opponents, two against unremarkable teams, and nine joke books. 

Of course, there are several variables that can be thrown into that, such as the fact that the C's beat one of the aforementioned good teams (Toronto) without Kyrie Irving and nearly lost to two of those trash teams (Charlotte and Dallas). You can't predict injuries just like you shouldn't predict win streaks, but let's take all the information we have and try to find the next one:

STARTING FRIDAY

Friday vs. Magic (trash; probable win)

Saturday at Pacers (unremarkable; potential loss)
A back-to-back after a holiday with the second game on the road against a team that's been way better than expected? I don't like the sound of it. 

Nov. 27 vs. Pistons (worthy opponent; potential loss)
Are they overrated? Maybe, but Pistons currently hold the second spot in the Eastern Conference. Whether it's the Pacers or the Pistons, I think this short stretch prevents a speed bump. The streak might have to wait. 

STARTING NOV. 30

Nov. 30 against Sixers (upgraded to unremarkable based on recent play; still win)
Remember: The last streak started against the Sixers. Hopefully, Kyrie pays that fans' way to Boston for a halftime reunion. 

Dec. 2 vs. Suns (trash; win)

Dec. 4 vs. Bucks (worthy opponent; win)
Celtics aren't losing to those sons of guns twice at home. 

Dec. 6 vs. Dallas (trash; win)
Can you get revenge on a team for almost beating you? Yes. The Celtics will. 

Dec. 8 at Spurs (worthy opponent; win)
Until I see Kawhi on the court, this one is a win. 

Dec. 10 at Detroit (worthy opponent; win)
The Pistons play the Spurs, Bucks and Warriors the three previous games. They'll be all tuckered out. 

Dec. 11 through Dec. 23 (mix of unremarkable and trash opponents; seven wins)

Dec. 25 vs. Wizards (worthy opponent; win)
Terry Rozier becomes a household name with a Christmas performance for the ages. 

Dec. 27 at Charlotte (trash; win) 

Dec. 28 vs. Houston (worthy opponent; win) 

Dec. 31 vs. Brooklyn (trash; loss)
The Celtics are 0-1 the days prior to holidays this season. The streak ends at 18. 

THE REST OF THE SEASON

We'll assess it then, but for now, let's say undefeated (including playoffs).

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Mapping out the Celtics' next super long win streak Empty Re: Mapping out the Celtics' next super long win streak

Post by gyso Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:55 am

Mr. Bean, please lay off the spiked eggnog.

Back to top Go down

Mapping out the Celtics' next super long win streak Empty Re: Mapping out the Celtics' next super long win streak

Post by wideclyde Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:06 pm

I really never like projecting wins that are "down the road" on a schedule. And, especially right after losing to the Heat the other day.

Players often only see the good in a winning streak. Coach Stevens mentioned during the streak that the team was not playing well enough for the streak to be completely meaningful. Now I wonder about the mentality of the players going into tonight's game. If they are second guessing themselves or even feeling sorry for themselves even a little bit, tonight's game could easily become much more difficult to win than many may think.

Some of the teams coming up on the Cs schedule will more than provide all of the competition the Cs will want on any given night. In fact, all of the scheduled opponents are capable of winning any particular game.

Any time the Cs shoot 35%, the bench only scores 18 points, defense allows over 100, they fall behind by 16-18 points in the first half and get out rebounded by 11 (like against Miami the other night) they are certainly very beatable.

With all of that, I am very interested to see how we play tonight as this game may be the most important game of the season so far. A strong, solid, all around complete game is very necessary.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:08 pm

This is a meaningless article. I predicted the C's would not lose to a bottom feeder and that it would take at least a mediocre team to end the streak. That's what happened.

Disclaimer: I also say a lot of stupid things.

The article makes no mention of the players. It gives no insight to why team play recently dropped off quite a number of games before the loss.

Tonight's home cooking should help.

The roster is in a rut. Some of us are starting to mention Jabari Bird and Nader. Many have wondered whether putting Morris into the starting lineup was a good idea. We've all been wondering about Smart. Some accept his shooting. Others don't. Both sides want to know if he will improve at it. We all agree he is a defensive genius.

I think tonight will provide some answers through the eye test. Stats rarely explain enough.

Team shooting has been ridiculously bad. We shall soon find out if this is a rut every team goes through or if the problem runs deeper.

I agree with Clyde tonight is an important game. I'd like to see an easy win. The C's have still only lost once at home. Then tomorrow night I'd love to see us win on the road in a back to back. If that can be done against two solid mediocre teams, then I think we're back on track.

Players rarely have great games in the same games. There's usually a few players who are wading through the muck of so-called off-nights.

The starters look great. The new worry is with the bench, or at least to me. I want to see good games out of Theis, Baynes, Smart and Rozier. Then I will worry less about the team's long-term prospects.

I suppose at a minimum we'll get Tommy and Abby back. Those road losses are tough having to deal with Scal and Draper instead. But this is moving into the realm of media studies, so please pardon my indulgence.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down