Doc Rivers, Celtics have no regrets over coach’s departure

5 posters

Go down

Doc Rivers, Celtics have no regrets over coach’s departure Empty Doc Rivers, Celtics have no regrets over coach’s departure

Post by bobheckler Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:56 pm

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2018/01/bulpett_doc_rivers_celtics_have_no_regrets_over_coach_s_departure

Bulpett: Doc Rivers, Celtics have no regrets over coach’s departure

Steve Bulpett Thursday, January 25, 2018

Doc Rivers, Celtics have no regrets over coach’s departure 012418riversceltsplug

Credit: AP photo

HEADS OF STATE: Brad Stevens and Doc Rivers met again last night at Staples Center in Los Angeles.

LOS ANGELES — In the summer of 2013, the Celtics were desperately trying to keep Doc Rivers from bolting town, fearing their rebuilding would suffer a severe blow without him as their coach.

But Rivers skipped town, hoping to follow the sun and push the good-and-getting-better Los Angeles Clippers over the finish line to a NBA title. The C’s “settled” for a young college coach and gave him a roster that had just lost Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett.

As the teams met last night, the Celts were trying to hold onto first place in the Eastern Conference while the Clippers were pushing for eighth place in the West and may be looking at the kind of rebuild Rivers was hoping to avoid in Boston.

And each side seems comfortable with the past.

“I just look back on it as a case where I totally understood from the beginning where Doc was coming from,” said Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge. “We had a lot of discussions. I know that it was not an easy decision for him, and it was very challenging and difficult at the time. We tried to talk him into staying. It’s hard to predict how building a new team is going to be, but he had done it once and we had faith in him. But he didn’t want to do it. He wanted to go try to win an NBA title, and who can knock him for that?

“I’ll forever be grateful for Doc and all that he did. I’ll always appreciate what he did for us.”

One of the major reasons the Celts tried so hard to convince Rivers to remain was the thought he could lure stars to Boston, an asset the club now has with Brad Stevens, who receives regular praise from the league’s marquee players.

“Yeah, Doc was attractive to free agents, and so is Brad,” said Ainge. “Brad’s had to earn that. Doc was already that guy. And Brad over the last few years has earned that as well.”

The last major move for the Clippers began with Chris Paul, a club cornerstone, asking to be traded. So ended the last threads of hope for an immediate title run, but it didn’t make Rivers regret his 2013 decision.

“I think it worked out for everybody,” Rivers said. “You know, I’ve had a great run here. Obviously we didn’t win it, but we’ve had our chances; you can’t deny that. And record-wise, we’ve been as good as any team over the last four years. Boston rebuilt, and they did it the right way.

“I mean, every team’s going to try to do what they did, and no team’s going to be successful at it. I thought the difference in that was Danny and (assistant general manager) Mike (Zarren). I don’t think they get enough credit.”
Rivers laughed when suggested that Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov deserves much of the credit.

“That Brooklyn trade is going to go down as one of the greatest of all time, but Danny had the courage to make that trade at that time,” Rivers said. “I mean, he traded Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce. You know, it’s easy to think that Brooklyn gave up so much, but that’s a ballsy trade. A lot of people would not have done that. Most people wouldn’t have.”

The Kyrie Irving deal was far easier, he said.

“Well, once he was available, they were the frontrunner,” said Rivers. “Once they said that he was available, you kind of knew that Boston was going to get him. I’d have been shocked if they hadn’t gotten him, because Danny and Mike, they have the most assets. Cleveland was going for the most assets, but the funny thing is that the way it might work out, that Brooklyn pick might be ninth or eighth. That’s amazing to be able to trade that for Kyrie Irving.”

It’s interesting to think of how Rivers might handle the current Celtics, but, in that his heart wasn’t up for a reconstruction, it’s doubtful he would have done as well as Stevens in nurturing the product from 2013 to here.

Still, Rivers has that 2008 jewelry and ties that bind.

“It’s been five years, but it never feels like it’s that long ago,” Rivers said, “probably because I stay in contact with so many of the players — with (Rajon) Rondo and Kevin and Paul and Perk (Kendrick Perkins) and Tony (Allen). That team was special. That group was special. And we still talk all the time. So I’ll be connected with that group and that city forever. You never feel disconnected from it. You just know you’re not a part of it right now.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Doc Rivers, Celtics have no regrets over coach’s departure Empty Re: Doc Rivers, Celtics have no regrets over coach’s departure

Post by dboss Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:20 pm

Neither do the fans
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Doc Rivers, Celtics have no regrets over coach’s departure Empty Re: Doc Rivers, Celtics have no regrets over coach’s departure

Post by gyso Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:32 pm

No regrets here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:42 pm

Those late 2000's teams should have won more than one. Not all Doc's fault though. If KG's knee hadn't given out, they may have won 2009 as well. If Shaq hadn't gotten hurt, I am sure they would have eon 2010. Hell, if they hadn't traded Perk they still might have (easy Cowens - didn't mean to get you all revved up). Nonetheless, I do think Doc is partially to blame; he refused to develop any players unless Danny traded away options, and he ran his bedt players into the ground.

It is interesting to think what boy genius Stevens could have done with those teams. Clearly Brad is the superior strategist, but could he have gainef the respect of KG, PP, and RA when he was so young and unproven???

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:10 pm

Hard to regret wanting to keep a guy when his heart was not in it. Think back to that first year after "the trade". They were lousy, no way Doc would have been able to deal with it. We have to appreciate the way Stevens coached that team and the next. I worried Stevens would get down and not see "the vision" Danny had for this team.

So.....nope not the lease bit sorry he left.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down