Chris Johnson the role model as Brad Stevens demands faster play

2 posters

Go down

Chris Johnson the role model as Brad Stevens demands faster play Empty Chris Johnson the role model as Brad Stevens demands faster play

Post by bobheckler Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:17 pm

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2018/01/boston_celtics_analysis_chris.html

Boston Celtics analysis: Chris Johnson the role model as Brad Stevens demands faster play

Updated 9:03 AM; Posted 6:00 AM

Chris Johnson the role model as Brad Stevens demands faster play Brad-stevens-c75452b385b6350c
Boston Celtics head coach Brad Stevens calls to his players during the second half of an NBA basketball game in Boston, Tuesday, Jan. 16, 2018. The Pelicans defeated the Celtics 116-113.(AP Photo/Charles Krupa)

By Jay King
mjking@masslive.com

LOS ANGELES -- In a Staples Center hallway earlier this week, Boston Celtics head coach Brad Stevens tabbed a surprising role model for his players.

Chris Johnson probably wouldn't earn many minutes on the current roster. In fact, he was cut by the Houston Rockets before this season and latched on with a team in France. At 27 years old, it's possible the lefty, who played 40 games for the Celtics during Stevens' first season with the team, will never see another NBA minute.  

But the dude could run. And, more importantly, he wanted to run, possession after possession, to the exact spot on the floor where the coaching staff pointed him. As the Celtics have slumped to 18th in offensive efficiency this season, Stevens has noticed his players don't show enough urgency while sprinting to spots in transition. 

"Probably the best I've ever coached is Chris Johnson a few years ago," Stevens said. "The way that he flew to the corners was a skill."

Stevens wants that same transition pace from his current players. According to Cleaning the Glass, the Celtics ranked 22nd entering Thursday night's games in transition points added per 100 possessions. Considering all their speed, athleticism and skill, they should be a team that gets up and down the court swiftly. Instead, they have repeatedly irritated the coaching staff by playing at a less-than-desired pace. 

When asked what factors have limited the Celtics' transition numbers, Stevens cracked, "Running would be one."

"We're not very fast to our spots, and it's something we're going to try to emphasize as we move forward. I think we jog a lot and watch the ball, and we need to do a better job of that," Stevens said. "I don't know (if transition offense should be a team strength). Also I think that some guys are used to having the ball, and we just need to make sure that we're all running to spots quicker. I think that is a learned skill."

Despite Wednesday night's impressive win against the Los Angeles Clippers, which Stevens called "one of our better (offensive) games," the Celtics' offense has been dreadful throughout the month of January. Worse than the Orlando Magic's. Worse than the Sacramento Kings'. Worse than, well, any other team you want to name. 

The Celtics have ranked dead last in scoring deficiency during the new year.

Boston still leads the league in defense, but this is the question that should determine how far the club advances in the playoffs: Can the Celtics learn how to consistently put the ball in the basket? It's a question that will drive Stevens crazy as he tries to find ways for his players to manufacture the easiest points. 

"Our shot profile is still a little bit better than I thought it would be," Stevens said recently. "Like, if you look at the 3-point attempt percentage it's still pretty good. My biggest thing is we've gotta get layups and get to the foul line more. We're going to have to take some midrange at different times. Some of the best shots from the standpoint of late-game opportunities, when teams are trying to switch more and take away the three, will be increased midrange opportunities. And then some of our guys are really comfortable in that range. But I'm pretty pleased with the 3-point attempt percentage. But we have to get more layups and we have to convert more layups. And we've gotta get to the line more."

As of Thursday night, the Celtics ranked 20th in producing shots at the rim and 28th in shooting percentage from that distance, according to Cleaning the Glass. The same length and athleticism that has turned their defense into such a force has not resulted in high-quality looks in the paint. Even when it has, the Celtics have been poor finishers. 

Beginning with Dec. 1, a sample size of 26 games, they also rank 29thin free throw attempt rate and 27th in opponent free throw attempt rate. Even as their defense solidifies its place as the NBA's best, they are regularly losing the battle of easy points.

"I think you get to the line when the defense breaks down and you're attacking closeouts," Stevens said. "Not (when) you're attacking before people are closing out."

In other words, the Celtics need to spray the ball to the perimeter once they hit the paint. The team's scoring has cratered when Kyrie Irving and Al Horford sit, with possessions ending in the hands of the wrong players. A look at team usage rates shows Irving first (where he should be), followed by Marcus Morris, Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart and Terry Rozier. Horford and Jayson Tatum, two of the Celtics' most efficient scorers, own the sixth- and seventh-highest usage rates on their own team.

Some of that is due to circumstance. Tatum and Horford play a high percentage of their minutes with Irving, who rightfully soaks up a large amount of possessions. Smart and Rozier often play with bench units that feature far less scoring talent. But it's undeniable some of the Celtics' most inefficient players have taken on large roles. 

Still, Boston entered Thursday night's games ninth in halfcourt offense, according to Cleaning the Glass. The transition offense has stood out as a more obvious issue. In at least one way, the Celtics need to be more like Chris Johnson.

"It was something that he really worked on," Stevens said. "And we're not there yet."

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Chris Johnson the role model as Brad Stevens demands faster play Empty Re: Chris Johnson the role model as Brad Stevens demands faster play

Post by wideclyde Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:51 am

I cannot think of any Cs fan who not ABSOLUTELY agree.

We so often play like we are the oldest possible team in the league!

Now, how to make this happen? NO, pretty easy to me--take playing time from the guys who are
not running to their spots. Such a strategy would seem to work every time?

wideclyde

Back to top Go down