Back to top Go down

Cousins may have a torn Achilles Empty Re: Cousins may have a torn Achilles

Post by steve3344 Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:01 am

Jesus. That's horrible if true.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:43 am

It's torn. Happened with 14 seconds to go in the game. Unreal. And he'll be a free agent this summer.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/sources-new-orleans-star-center-demarcus-cousins-initial-diagnosis-torn-left-achilles-tendon-042801822.html

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:58 am

Saw it live, have been rooting for that team, hoping they would get it together, tired of so many people disrespecting the big men of the game, like it’s passed them by. They were up 20 looking great, the bigs playing big was working....damn!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:49 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:Saw it live, have been rooting for that team, hoping they would get it together, tired of so many people disrespecting the big men of the game, like it’s passed them by. They were up 20 looking great, the bigs playing big was working....damn!!
+

oldschool

Like I've said many times - The bigs are more talented than ever - it's just a case of many teams not calling on the bigs for as much scoring because of the popularity of the 3 point shot and a shortage of bigs than can drain the three on a regular basis. Cheer up - there number increases every year - but it's tough to keep them down in the paint once they know that they can shoot in the high thirties from long range. First came the home run - then the long bomb in football an finally basketball's 3 pointer.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:34 am

I almost never watch other games. But I decided to watch in the 4th quarter with NO up by 4. I like some of the players on both teams and the play last night did not change a thing. Houston was storming to get back in the game and they had done so. Like Cow I like NO. When Boogie went down it was hard. He was so clearly in pain and with his history he knew what was wrong, I'm sure. One of my first thots was that Davis could be available if NO decides to break things up with this injury. But he fouled two 3pt shooters in the late stages of the game. But he absolutely skyed on a couple of those rebounds. Real sorry for Boogie! He'd found a good team to play for that held promise.
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:41 am

Tough injury for his team and also for him. Such an injury will likely put some limits on the size and length of his next contract.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:19 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/what-demarcus-cousins-potentially-season-ending-achilles-tear-means-for-the-pelicans/ar-BBIi9xF?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:53 pm

I hate injuries.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:58 am

New Orleans Pelicans star DeMarcus Cousins was helped off the court during the fourth quarter of Friday's game against the Houston Rocketsafter he reportedly suffered a full rupture of his left Achilles, per Shams Charania of The Vertical.

Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN.com first reported the possible rupture, and Wojnarowski noted the center will miss six to 10 months with the injury.

[ltr]

[/ltr]

bob
MY NOTE:  A "full rupture".  Oh man, that's bad.  Still, 10 months would take Boogie to the end of November, and that's the far end of the forecast, and so he wouldn't miss too much of next year.  Still sucks though.  Get well, Boogie. 

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:56 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Saw it live, have been rooting for that team, hoping they would get it together, tired of so many people disrespecting the big men of the game, like it’s passed them by. They were up 20 looking great, the bigs playing big was working....damn!!

Cow,

I agree with you on the apparent global diss of the big man.

My view is not very technical, but seems to be consistent with what I hear on a lot of broadcasts; it's the small man and small ball, not the big man, that are near going extinct.

Big men are simply picking up what were once smaller guard skills. Including the type of player coming out of college ranks, we're going to be edging closer to what amounts to five bigs on the floor together. If that's the case, all the more reason a team needs a couple of big(er) paint clogging, rebounding, physical, back-to-the basket, bigs. The Dwight Howards and Kareem Abdul Jabbars of the world aren't quite extinct. Those are skills that are needed and I think last night's game is proof. With a stronger inside presence on both ends, instead of missed long-range shots (some missed layups too) and failed boards, we take that game. My guess is bigs will be returning in a big way, no pun intended.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:12 pm

mulcogiseng wrote:I almost never watch other games. But I decided to watch in the 4th quarter with NO up by 4. I like some of the players on both teams and the play last night did not change a thing. Houston was storming to get back in the game and they had done so. Like Cow I like NO. When Boogie went down it was hard. He was so clearly in pain and with his history he knew what was wrong, I'm sure. One of my first thots was that Davis could be available if NO decides to break things up with this injury. But he fouled two 3pt shooters in the late stages of the game. But he absolutely skyed on a couple of those rebounds. Real sorry for Boogie! He'd found a good team to play for that held promise.

mulcogiseng

I was thinking the same thing ("One of my first thots was that Davis could be available if NO decides to break things up with this injury")

But that seems like an over-reaction. You move Davis because Cousins gets injured? This injury may work to the Pelicans advantage. Cousins is an UFA after the season and the injury is very likely to depress his market value. NOLA has already let it be known that they plan to resign him. That is probably what happens but at a lower rate due to the injury as teams may be reluctant to sign a player for big money who is coming off of a major injury.

The Pelicans probably need to move one or the other. Even though both Davis and Cousins are having fantastic years as is Holiday, they are still a .500 team. They really need some quality wings to round out their roster and resigning Cousins to big money would limit them going forward. But if I'm the Pelicans there is no way in hell that I move Davis unless the haul was unbelievable.

Once they resign Cousins they will be stuck with him and down the road Davis may be the only valued player that could secure a hefty return. The Celtics are still in the mix to get Davis but it may be a year or two before that can happen.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:06 am

I don't think trading for Davis is worth what we'd have to give up.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:17 pm

k_j_88 wrote:I don't think trading for Davis is worth what we'd have to give up.

KJ

I agree.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down