Celtics' focus shifts to Evans with Williams off the tablE

2 posters

Go down

Celtics' focus shifts to Evans with Williams off the tablE Empty Celtics' focus shifts to Evans with Williams off the tablE

Post by 112288 Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:58 pm

Celtics' focus shifts to Evans with Williams off the table

NBC SPORTS BOSTON By A. Sherrod Blakely February 07, 2018 1:59 PM

WASHINGTON – While one potential trade target of the Boston Celtics is off the market, another one remains very much in play.

Los Angeles Clippers guard Lou Williams has reportedly agreed to a three-year extension to remain with the Clippers.

MORE - Celtics humbled by Raptors in lopsided loss

Boston was among several teams to inquire about the 6-foot-1 guard’s availability leading up to Thursday’s 3 p.m. EST trade deadline.

Williams, a Sixth Man of the Year award winner in 2015, has had a borderline all-star type season, averaging a career-high 23.3 points per game along with 5.3 assists.

Memphis wing Tyreke Evans remains in play for the Celtics who are one of the front-runners for the 28-year-old Evans.

Memphis has made no secret about wanting a trade package for Evans that would include a first-round pick, something teams – the Celtics included – have been reluctant to do thus far.

The Grizzlies have already shut down Evans from playing, to ensure he remains healthy leading up to the trade deadline.

In addition to Boston, Philadelphia, Denver and Miami are viewed as the front-runners for him.

While this has been a rough season for the Grizzlies who record-wise (18-35) are one of the NBA’s worst teams, Evans has actually had one of his best seasons as a pro.

The former Rookie of the Year award winner is averaging 19.3 points per game, shooting 45.8 percent from the field and a shade under 40 percent (39.2 percent to be exact) from 3-point range.

Evans’ versatility as a scorer and ball-handler, combined with his strong 6-foot-6 frame and experience in the NBA, has made him a player that could certainly strengthen a Celtics bench that’s already going to be stronger once the trade deadline passes.

Veteran center Greg Monroe came to terms on a one-year deal worth $5 million with Boston that will become official sometime shortly after the trade deadline passes tomorrow afternoon.

NBC Sports Boston learned that Monroe arrived in Washington, D.C. Wednesday morning which is where the Celtics will play the Washington Wizards tomorrow night.

Monroe’s deal could be completed prior to the game, but that’s still no guarantee that he’ll be in uniform for Boston’s game against the Wizards.

There have also been reports that the Celtics are interested in trading Marcus Smart, with the latest rumor involving the Denver Nuggets.

Boston would reportedly want a package that included a first-round pick in return, but NBC Sports Boston has been told that even that might not be enough to pry Smart out of Boston.

“This time of year, everybody’s asking price is too high,” said a league executive. “That’s what GMs are supposed to do; ask for the world. But I don’t see them moving (Smart). I just think at the end of the day, he’s more valuable to the Celtics as a player who can really help them get to the NBA Finals this year, than whatever first-round pick they might be offered that’ll probably have some type of protections on it. I think they’ll keep him.”

Back to top Go down

Celtics' focus shifts to Evans with Williams off the tablE Empty Re: Celtics' focus shifts to Evans with Williams off the tablE

Post by wideclyde Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:52 am

Here we go!  Blakely at his finest!  

My 6 year old grand daughter could figure that if there were two choices and one leaves that there is only now only one remaining (of the two).  She also knows that there are other players to look at, too.

Does this guy really get paid by NBC sports?  If so, I want to get a chance to replace Mr. Blakely as I could use some easy money.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down