+3
bobheckler
KyleCleric
dboss
7 posters

Go down

As The Dust Settles Empty As The Dust Settles

Post by dboss Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:41 pm

On a day where Cleveland shipped out 6  players or 40% of their active roster, the Lakers have put themselves back in the mix to make a splash in free agency.

The Celtics sat this one out for good cause.  After already landing a quality center in Monroe for a bag of peanuts, they are still poised to pick through the soon to be carcasses of the remains of the day.

Boston kept Marcus Smart and they refused to surrender a 1st round pick for a 30 day rental in Evans.  While teams like Cleveland and the Lakers had to make some moves, Boston remains in a very favorable position in all aspects of things related to basketball.

Interestingly the moves made by both Cleveland and the Lakers may actually help the Celtics rather than hurt them.

Cleveland now has the tall task of putting Humpty Dumpty back together again.  The biggest problem with the Cavs has been their utter disdain for playing defense.  Hill and Hood will not help there if their defensive ratings hold true to form (112.9 and 107.2 respectively)  Clarkston at 104.2 and Nance at 103.5 should help as rotational players but they still will not be able to defend at the point.  Nance is athletic but is equally challenged offensively.  In the end it still looks like Lebron James and his court of misfits.  They still cannot stop anybody.

The Lakers just want to clear CAP space.  But in so doing they have disrupted the balance of a team that certainly could not be accused of quitting.  IT plays best with the ball in his hands but Ball, when he returns, is the guy to do that.  Frye has an expiration date label that says "best if used before 2017"  He is now on his 8th team and is just playing out the string.  The Lakers are a worse team for the remainder of the year as a result of this trade.  This may bring their pick back into focus.  This is a good thing for the Celtics.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

As The Dust Settles Empty Re: As The Dust Settles

Post by KyleCleric Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:47 pm

I'd also point to the Kings as hurting their team for next year, having moved Hill.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:51 pm

KyleCleric wrote:I'd also point to the Kings as hurting their team for next year, having moved Hill.

Kyle,

Oooh. Excellent observation. They only got Joe Johnson in return? And there is talk of him being bought out?

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:14 pm

KyleCleric wrote:I'd also point to the Kings as hurting their team for next year, having moved Hill.

They will not miss Hill because he is over-the-hill..lol

Besides they want to play the rookie De'Aaron Fox full time instead of splitting the minutes with Hill.

In addition, moving Hill's remaining $37 million contract was also an incentive.

dboss

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandpd Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:28 pm

I wonder if these moves will put the Lakers right back in the thick of things for this year's coveted lottery where the C's might luck out with their pick (2-5). They're not that far off from the lottery now. They seem to be wanting cap space for some off-season signings. It'll be interesting to see how the dynamics with IT goes when Ball returns as they both need the ball to be most effective.

I'm ok with the C's not jettisoning Smart particularly if they're going to make a serious run this year. Smart's issues aside, they'll need his lock-down defense for the playoffs.
Sandpd
Sandpd

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:29 pm

Losing streak for the Lakers coming?

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:54 pm

wideclyde wrote:Losing streak for the Lakers coming?

I certainly hope so.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:26 pm

dboss wrote:

Besides they want to play the rookie De'Aaron Fox full time instead of splitting the minutes with Hill.

In addition, moving Hill's remaining $37 million contract was also an incentive.

dboss

That's better long term. I'm not sure though for short term.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:55 pm

KyleCleric wrote:
dboss wrote:

dboss

Short term they stink with or without Hill and long term is yet to be decided but they have a really bad roster. I think they own their pick this year which should yield a stud but even with that they are a lotto team for a few more years and their pick next year may be heading our way unless we luck up and get LAL pick this year.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:31 pm

dboss wrote:
KyleCleric wrote:
dboss wrote:

dboss

Short term they stink with or without Hill and long term is yet to be decided but they have a really bad roster.   I think they own their pick this year which should yield a stud but even with that they are a lotto team for a few more years and their pick next year may be heading our way unless we luck up and get LAL pick this year.

It's not like Zach Randolph is their leading scorer

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:42 pm

It was fascinating Cleveland made so many moves. I think Boston getting Monroe was enough. I think Smart's injury hurt worse than it had to because Larkin and Irving went down. Kyrie is back. Monroe is not chopped liver. Bring it on.

The Celtics only seem to have to worry about Toronto which made no moves. The C's have a chunk of games to figure it out and then it should be a good playoffs. If the C's are healthy, play their best and don't win it all, I will not be disappointed. They are a team on the rise with a why not us kind of chance this year.

I now have zero hope for Cleveland as a contender. Golden State is obviously the overwhelming favorite, but the Celtics might as well keep plugging away in the Cinderella tier below them. GS gobbled up superstars. It is what it is. But the Celtics at full strength might be able to upset them. That is the plan.

I wouldn't say getting to the Finals is necessary for a good year if Toronto beats the Celtics fair and square. I've always respected them. Those could be two evenly matched teams. I don't think the last game counts except for one loss. It could have happened against any team due to all the injuries and rust.

I think Cleveland is done. Boston and Toronto seem cemented as the top two teams in the East and the Cavs aren't close. LeBron already has one foot out the door. He's probably already daydreaming of a team like Houston doing what Golden State did to add on Durant.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:49 pm

KyleCleric wrote:
dboss wrote:
KyleCleric wrote:
dboss wrote:

dboss

Short term they stink with or without Hill and long term is yet to be decided but they have a really bad roster.   I think they own their pick this year which should yield a stud but even with that they are a lotto team for a few more years and their pick next year may be heading our way unless we luck up and get LAL pick this year.

It's not like Zach Randolph is their leading scorer
Unfortunately he is their leading scorer.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:17 am

dboss wrote:

I certainly hope so.  

Lakers are 12-4 their last 16 games, many without Lonzo Ball. Didn't see that coming.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:48 am

steve3344 wrote:
dboss wrote:

I certainly hope so.  

Lakers are 12-4 their last 16 games, many without Lonzo Ball. Didn't see that coming.
Those damn Lakers have been playing very well.  They beat an undermaned OKC last night.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down