David Fizdale hired as Knicks head coach, per report

Go down

David Fizdale hired as Knicks head coach, per report Empty David Fizdale hired as Knicks head coach, per report

Post by bobheckler Thu May 03, 2018 5:52 pm

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2018/5/3/17313042/dave-fizdale-knicks-head-coach-search-hire

David Fizdale hired as Knicks head coach, per report

Fizdale coached the Memphis Grizzlies last season, but was unexpectedly fired.

By Matt Ellentuck@mellentuck

Updated May 3, 2018, 5:46pm EDT

David Fizdale hired as Knicks head coach, per report 674175598.jpg.0
Photo by Frederick Breedon/Getty Images

The New York Knicks have hired Dave Fizdale as their next head coach, according to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski. He was selected over former Atlanta Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer and former Cleveland Cavaliers coach David Blatt, who were also reportedly under high consideration. This is Fizdale’s second NBA head coaching position.

Fizdale last served as head coach of the Memphis Grizzlies this past season, but was shockingly fired 19 games into his second season for reasons that appeared to center around Marc Gasol. The Grizzlies were off to a brutal start to the season, going 7-12, but things really started to boil when Fizdale benched Gasol for the fourth quarter of a close game.

According to ESPN’s Jonathan Givony, the two had been on bad terms before then, and a choice between the two was inevitable. Ultimately, the organization sided with its star.

In the season prior, Fizdale worked his first year as an NBA coach, guiding Memphis to a 43-39 record. His team put up an unexpected fight as the No. 7 seed againt the No. 2 San Antonio Spurs, losing 4-2. In the second game of that series, Fizdale earned a name for himself in a national sense, and gained fandom after his “TAKE THAT FOR DATA,” rant.

Upset with the officiating and a lack of foul calls, he yelled those famous words before slapping the table and leaving a postgame conference.

https://twitter.com/_/status/854191540486328320

He didn’t get along with Gasol? Do other players feel negatively about him?

Not at all. Immediately after his firing both Dwyane Wade and LeBron James, who both played under Fizdale when he was an assistant coach for the Miami Heat, tweeted in support of him.

LeBron James
✔️
@KingJames
I need some answers. Feels like my man was a fall guy

2:49 PM - Nov 27, 2017
10.8K people are talking about this

DWade
✔️
@DwyaneWade
I need answers!!! WTF

Adrian Wojnarowski
✔️
@wojespn
Memphis has fired coach David Fizdale, league sources tell ESPN.

2:46 PM - Nov 27, 2017
4,944 people are talking about this

James went on to speak to the media about it:

https://twitter.com/_/status/935366892201631744

“[Fizdale’s firing] probably took everybody in the basketball world by surprise besides who pulled the trigger,” LeBron said. “I don’t know the details of it because I’m not around [the Grizzlies]. But I know the type of coach Fiz is, I know how players relate to him, and I know what he stands for. And he don’t stand for no... Maybe that’s what it was because he ain’t gonna kiss nobody’s ass, I know that. Maybe that’s what it was.”

What other experience does he have?

The 43-year-old served as an assistant coach in college basketball for six seasons, four for San Diego and two for Fresno State before joining the NBA. Since 2003, Fizdale has worked as an assistant coach for the Golden State Warriors, Atlanta Hawks and Heat until his head coaching position in Memphis.

What should his expectations be in New York?

Low. Fizdale is inheriting a flawed roster which will be without its best player for part of the season as Kristaps Porzingis heals from a torn ACL. The team has $39 million invested in exiled center Joakim Noah, and is stacked with questionable role players.

Fizdale will be tasked to grow 2017 No. 8 pick Frank Ntilikina and whoever is selected with the Knicks’ first-round 2018 pick. This team isn’t playoff-bound just yet, but could be soon under Fizdale’s guidance.

bob
MY NOTE: Rejoice, Celtic fans, Jay Larranagga was passed over again. Feel sorry for him, but their loss is our continuing gain.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down