Sam
cowens/oldschool
steve3344
jeb
9 posters

Go down

historic defense Empty historic defense

Post by jeb Sun May 23, 2010 12:21 am

I cant remember ever seeing a team play harder smarter d than the celtics played tonight and I been watchin this game close since 76. They just ripped out their heart. No mercy. And the thing is 5 guys moved as one. It was like frickin ballet. This team is growing in front of our eyes.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

historic defense Empty Re: historic defense

Post by steve3344 Sun May 23, 2010 12:48 am

Dwight Howard had a 7 & 7 tonight and I don't mean the drink.

But maybe he could use one right about now.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun May 23, 2010 1:07 am

and he was wearing a green shirt at the press conference,he wishes he could be like us

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun May 23, 2010 1:53 am

Maybe it's prompted by the stifling defense, but I believe the Celtics' OFFENSE is clicking better than at any other time during the "Garnett Era." I don't know about points per game comparisons; nor do I care. The pure and simple fact is that, whether in transition or the half court game, their cohesion, spacing, motion, and ball movement are smooth to the point of being virtually instinctive. Quite frankly, this is the first time in three seasons that I have actively enjoyed watching their offense without reservation.

As a consequence, they're scoring in runs, and the effectiveness of runs is not limited to a quickly escalating points margin. A run, ESPECIALLY on the heels of an opponent's run, can really instill a sense of futility in the opponent.

There were many times during the regular season when the Celts mounted pretty good defensive stands, but they couldn't capitalize on the offensive end. That kind of failure gets players wondering, "Why bother?" on defense.

So right now, the team's offense and defense seem to be acting as catalysts for one another. And, better yet, they're sustaining both of them until the game is out of reach by the enemy.

Doc says they had two of the best practices of the season while some people were wondering how the three-day layoff would affect them. At this moment, what coach in the league would you rather have than Doc Rivers?

And the best thing is they can still be better, and it appears they still WANT to be better.

Keep it going guys. One game at a time. Possession after possession. Stop after stop. Run after run. These are the playoffs. This is Celtics time!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun May 23, 2010 9:35 am

I still would like to see the Celtics attempt a few free throws! Ray had none, I think Paul went to the line three times, at most, and Garnett went twice. I know they were rebounding and passing the ball better than I have ever seen them. Ray had 6 rebounds, 6 assists, Paul had 9 rebounds. That is terrific.

Rondo looked unbeatable. He made Nelson run all over the floor. I loved it.. This kid has grown up right before our eyes. Remember when he played second fiddle to Sebastian Telfair? I am sure he does!

This game was awesome, they just never let them get back into the game. A couple more threes and I think their mindset would have changed a bit.
My opinion is that they gave up before they ever started the game. The only one who showed up was Barnes, just to be a pain in the a.. He will get his on Monday.

Funny......I don't see Dwight smiling any more. He really thought this was going to be a cake walk! Sorry Dwight, it's our party now.
Keep a level head Monday for the first fifteen minutes and it will be all over.

WHAT DID I SAY THE ARTICLE ABOUT THE 1969 CELTICS SAID? "WE WERN'T
SUPPOSED TO WIN".

Maybe the Globe should pull that one from the archives.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun May 23, 2010 11:50 am

Last night, on the game-on thread, I said that I had not seen such sustained defensive intensity since the 60s. I stand by that remark.

I've always regarded Thibodeau's defensive schemes as very effective. But I've also considered the rotating help defense to be somewhat of a crutch for a team that probably couldn't quite cut it with man-to-man defense. All of a sudden, they're playing a modified man-to-man/help defense predicated on quick doubles (just enough to discourage a drive or deal with a high pick) and even quicker recoveries to cover their original assignment. And they're doing it so smoothly that Magic players can neither shoot threes over the pick nor get off easy passes on the roll. Moreover, this defense doesn't so often result in leaving open men in the corners or causing mismatches.

I'm really liking it.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun May 23, 2010 12:07 pm

Sam

Celtics defense throughout the playoffs has been outstanding. However they have yet to play against a team that has multiple options. Against the heat we only had Wade to worry about. Against the cavs it was James and the magic shoot threes and are used to Howard dominating down low.

The final challenge against LA will be a lot different because they have as many weapons as we do. They can run, they can post, they can hit 3 pointers. On Tuesday I will developing a thread about the upcoming series against LA. I see a sweep tomorow night by the Celtics.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun May 23, 2010 12:17 pm

Dboss,

Well, there will be some fun discussion if and when we prevail over the Magic. I'm hoping for great things in Game Four.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun May 23, 2010 12:33 pm

The magic are in a tough situation. Even if they play hard they will still be limited in what they can do. As I have reiterated many times now, they are who they are.

It is too late for them to play a different style. If they can't make 3 pointers they cannot win. if Howard cannot score a ton of points and grab a ton of rebounds, they cannot win.

The Celtics have taken both of those options away from them so there is nothing else for them to do.

SVG has no game plan that can work at this point.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sun May 23, 2010 1:35 pm

The Magic have the same these mf ers are crazy look in their eyes the Cavs had.
It is similar to the look Tyson had in his eyes after Buster Douglas creamed him.

They were relentless
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun May 23, 2010 2:02 pm

jeb65 wrote:The Magic have the same these mf ers are crazy look in their eyes the Cavs had.
It is similar to the look Tyson had in his eyes after Buster Douglas creamed him.

They were relentless

jeb,

And the same look Evander Holyfield, Trevor Berbick, Larry Holmes, Tyrell Biggs and Michael Spinks had on their faces when they went against Tyson too. Remember the press conference where Tyson declared he wanted to "rip their stomachs out and eat their children"?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Mon May 24, 2010 10:48 am

Hi,
I started to watch game 3 at about 8 or 9 min mark. Couldn't believe my eyes: Magic had only 6 points!? That's precisely where amazing is happening.
I couldn't help looking on the other side of the country: PHX managed to score 112 points avg. (I still believe LA is too much for them and we'll have classic NBA finals). Why they don't play defense? And how they're going to deal with CD©️ (Celtics Defense)?

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon May 24, 2010 11:31 am

Love the boxing references and Rosalie's quitting of ORL before the game started.

"Buzzsaw" Braxton boxed in the 70's and early 80's as a light heavyweight. One of his historic knockouts in his 14 streak run was followed by a reporter asking him. "Buzzsaw, you just knock out the champ to take the title! It was an amazing fight. At what point, Buzzsaw, when did you know you had him whopped?" And without batting an eye, sweat dripping from his face, he stared down the reporter and said, "Before I ever...got...to the arena!"
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down