Has Marcus Smart played his final game for the Celtics?

+4
dboss
KyleCleric
kdp59
bobheckler
8 posters

Go down

Is Marcus Smart Worth More Than $12-$14 Million Like He Thinks?

Has Marcus Smart played his final game for the Celtics? Vote_lcap11%Has Marcus Smart played his final game for the Celtics? Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 1 ]
Has Marcus Smart played his final game for the Celtics? Vote_lcap0%Has Marcus Smart played his final game for the Celtics? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Has Marcus Smart played his final game for the Celtics? Vote_lcap33%Has Marcus Smart played his final game for the Celtics? Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 3 ]
Has Marcus Smart played his final game for the Celtics? Vote_lcap33%Has Marcus Smart played his final game for the Celtics? Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 3 ]
Has Marcus Smart played his final game for the Celtics? Vote_lcap22%Has Marcus Smart played his final game for the Celtics? Vote_rcap 22% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 9

Has Marcus Smart played his final game for the Celtics? Empty Has Marcus Smart played his final game for the Celtics?

Post by bobheckler Mon May 28, 2018 11:56 am

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/marcus-smart-played-final-game-135302752.html

Has Marcus Smart played his final game for the Celtics?

NBC Sports Boston Report,NBC Sports Boston 1 hour 52 minutes ago

Restricted free-agent Marcus Smart spoke with Jackie MacMullan following the Celtics Game 7 loss to Cleveland, and sounds like he may not be returning next year.

"To be honest, I'm worth more than 12-14 million," Smart told ESPN. "Just for the things I do on the court that don't show up on the stat sheet. You don't find guys like that. I always leave everything on the court, every game. Tell me how many other players can say that."

Smart was one of the many Celtics that had a poor shooting night on Sunday with a trip to the NBA Finals on the line. Smart was 1/10 from the field, 0/4 from 3-pt range. In the Conference Finals, Smart shot 32.8%, while averaging 8.9 points per game and 6.4 assists. During the playoffs, Smart was 15/68 (22.1%) behind the arc.

Has Marcus Smart played his final game for the Celtics? Cf275dce45b3b784ea7c37dfb68c0bb9

Smart missed the first four games of the 1st Round against Milwaukee with a torn ligament in his right thumb. Smart admitted following the game that the injury was still bothering him since his return.

"I don't like to make excuses," said Smart, "but my thumb is killing me. My whole right hand hurts."

Boston is able to offer Smart a qualifying offer of $6.1 million. If Smart chooses this route, he would become an unrestricted free-agent next summer.

bob
MY NOTE:  "To be honest, I'm worth more than 12-14 million," Smart told ESPN.  Ok, so I guess that gives us some insight as to how much Danny offered him before this season.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Has Marcus Smart played his final game for the Celtics? Empty Re: Has Marcus Smart played his final game for the Celtics?

Post by kdp59 Mon May 28, 2018 12:07 pm

he's worth the $12 M to me.

much more and no.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Has Marcus Smart played his final game for the Celtics? Empty Re: Has Marcus Smart played his final game for the Celtics?

Post by bobheckler Mon May 28, 2018 1:03 pm

Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
2 minutes ago
Marcus Smart: "I got a lot to think about. There’s a lot of factors that go into it. But that being said, I want to be in Boston. I want to be here. I love this city, I love this team, I love the atmosphere it gives off. I’ve been here for four years. My heart’s here."

Scott Souza @Scott_Souza
about 23 minutes ago
#Celtics Marcus Smart: We haven't talked $$. We've just established that me being here is a big deal.

reply retweet like
Jay King
Jay King @ByJayKing
about 24 minutes ago
Marcus Smart said he and the Celtics established mutual interest in keeping him around.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Mon May 28, 2018 1:17 pm

I expect that he won't get more than the 12-14M, if he gets that. Probably be back next year on the qualifying offer.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon May 28, 2018 1:49 pm

I voted other.

No i do not think he is worth anything near $12-14 million per year.

Teams pay premium dollars for players that can score. Marcus is no 3 and D guy. Just the D guy. In this league it takes more than that for a guard to make the big money. if Marcus was a rebounding and defensive big he would be more valuable even if he was a challenged scorer.

Marcus has played for 4 years and is pretty much in a flat line projection. There is no upside there.

I think the Celtics will play hard ball. He has to go find an offer sheet. Danny tends not to match offer sheets if they exceed his valuation of what a player is worth.

The market will establish his value and then Boston will go from there. Keep in mind that they also need to bring Baynes back in absence of a deal to replace him at center.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Mon May 28, 2018 5:34 pm

I posted the below on another topic.

With Irving, Smart and Rozier in line for new contracts in the next 2 years - the Celtics have to be careful about going over the CAP big time with their own players - or beware - the free agency financial cupboard will be bare when it's time to replace Horford. Only Irving is a must - Smart and Rozier are a luxury.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Mon May 28, 2018 8:09 pm

I agree with much of what DBoss wrote.

I love Smart, but his value to a team is not what the value of a good shooter is to a team. He has a lot of great value, but all general manager will only be able to pay for what they can measure so he will not likely get any more than 8-9 million in his next contract.

He is still only 24 years old so his shooting can still improve, but not in time for him to get a big salary this summer. He is what he is as far as an offensive player right now as the Cs season is over, and is likely to get paid based on what his shooting and offense is at his point more than what his defense, toughness and leadership are.

With all that and a zillion other words that will be written about him during the summer, I hope that he returns to the Cs for a thousand reasons.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon May 28, 2018 8:49 pm

I fully expect Boston to resign him.  I think Danny has a much better feel for what the price may be.  

If there is serious interest by other teams we should begin to see that in the next 30 days or so.

Marcus is a specialty player.  He has made his bones by playing hard on defense by putting out a tremendous amount of energy.  We probably do not get to the ECF without him.  That is reason enough to want him back

Danny loves everybody but Danny is a master when it comes to understanding and putting a value on a player.

Let's hope things work out and Marcus is with us next season.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue May 29, 2018 12:21 am

Depends what Ainge thinks,
Value comes in many forms,
Smart can be a part.

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue May 29, 2018 8:13 am

dboss wrote:I fully expect Boston to resign him.  I think Danny has a much better feel for what the price may be.  

If there is serious interest by other teams we should begin to see that in the next 30 days or so.

Marcus is a specialty player.  He has made his bones by playing hard on defense by putting out a tremendous amount of energy.  We probably do not get to the ECF without him.  That is reason enough to want him back

Danny loves everybody but Danny is a master when it comes to understanding and putting a value on a player.

Let's hope things work out and Marcus is with us next season.

This year we couldn’t have gotten there without him, next year with more improvement from 2 J’s which could be a substantial jump, plus Kyrie and Hayward, how many minutes will there be? Jaylen is at the 2, will probably be having Hayward also there, then there’s situations you can have both Kyrie and Rozier together in the backcourt. There’s also the durability factor, a player who throws his body around that much takes a beating. I love Smarts toughness and game, like all of us, I want him to limit his shooting attempts, but next year 2 J’s will have bigger roles from the start, they’ve earned it, plus those 2 other impact players coming back. I don’t think he’ll be going to Nets, they have a lot of good young developing players in backcourt already in Dinwiddie, Russell, Lavert and Harris. Russell and Lavert can play either guard position like Smart and actually hit shots.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Tue May 29, 2018 11:23 am

If he was to leave, the Suns seem like a good spot for him. They have cap space. He'd be a nice complement to Booker, handling tougher guard defensive assignment and setting up their offense. He'd get to play with Ayton. Maybe with Jackson, Chriss, and Bender growing, they may be able to compete some this year.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down