No Final Grades Just Summer Homework

+2
bobc33
dboss
6 posters

Go down

No Final Grades Just Summer Homework Empty No Final Grades Just Summer Homework

Post by dboss Tue May 29, 2018 5:07 pm

I think Danny has put together a fantastic team.  Every year after the season is over we generally discuss a lot of things including potential trades, draft picks and contracts.  We also discuss player improvement so here is my attempt to share with you some of my observations about some of the players on this team.  

Al Horford has no upside.  He just needs to  work on his stamina.  It is hard to find fault with what he brings to the table.  He remains a perfect fit for this team.

Kyrie Irving will be fired up to get back in  there and prove he remains our ultimate go-to guy.  I would like to see him become a better play-maker because he now has multiple scorers on this team that can make shots.  He just needs to work on knowing when to take over and when to be more of a distributor.  He tends to take difficult shots when a simpler option may be available.  Not a lot to criticize here. He is our A1 player.

Gordon Hayward probably has the toughest task of any Celtics in front of him.  He needs to get that ankle right and he should ease himself back into the mix.  There is no need for him to try and do too much.  We have other guys that can help this team win.

Jaylen Brown improved over the previous year but still needs to work on the same skills he worked on last summer.  Work on the handle, free throw shooting, 3 point shooting and shooting mid-range.  During this playoffs the Cavs figure him out when he tried to drive the ball. Jaylen has a tendency to hang in the air when going for layups and that just gives the defense time to recover and challenge his shots. Jaylen will need to become less predictable on offense and he still needs to slow down a bit as he tends to hurry things.  He had a great second year for the Celtics and I expect him to be even better next season.

In my mind Jason Tatum was the rookie of the year because of his multi-faceted skill set.  His main focus must be on adding strength.  Too many balls knocked out of his hand on drives to the hoop and defensive low post  strength is needed to better hold his position.  This kid greatly exceeded any expectations that I had.  He also needs to work on that handle and watch plenty of film to help him be a better read defender and be able to not get caught looking.  I love his game.

Terry Rozier needs to continue to work on his shooting mechanics.  In game 7 he was drifting to the left on most of those 3 point attempts. During the year poor shooting nights often reflected bad mechanics.  He also needs to learn how to use his body to create contact on those drives to the hoop.  He avoids contact now and that gives the defender an edge.  Overall he had a great year and completely accepted the responsibility of starting in place of Irving.

I have all but given up hope that Marcus will ever be a reliable 3 point shooter.  The biggest thing he needs to work on is his decision making and also his free throw shooting.

Semi  needs to improve in all areas.  He needs to consistently knock down shots from the corner.  He needs to work on his free throw shooting, midrange shots and his handle but most importantly he really need to learn how to use that fantastic body to become a force on the glass.  He just does not bang enough in the post.  He should spend time with Marcus Smart and get some pointers on how to use his body.  Mostly positional issues.

Yabusele has no handle.   He also needs to work on his entire game.

Theis needs to work on his 3 point shooting.  He also can use a better handle.

Now that Baynes has shown the ability to make three point shots he shoot practice tons of them during the summer.  On the defensive side of the ball he could become better at closeouts when defending the pick and roll.

Morris needs to stop falling down every time he takes a shot.  He also needs to work on his decision making as he tends to push forward with trying to put a square peg in a round hole.  The Celtics need veteran leadership from him.

Shane Larkin needs to grow 4 inches over the summer. lol We did miss him toward the end of the playoff run.  

The rest of the G-leaguers just need to work on all aspects of their games
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

No Final Grades Just Summer Homework Empty Re: No Final Grades Just Summer Homework

Post by bobc33 Tue May 29, 2018 5:22 pm

Nice summation dboss.

I’ll bet Brad is drooling about this roster, specifically if Theis and Baynes become consistent decent to good three point shooters! That will really make his day.

Danny says the roster is good maybe just a couple of tweaks......Well I normally don’t believe much of what Danny says but this time it could be true.

I can’t wait for training camp!

Back to top Go down

No Final Grades Just Summer Homework Empty Re: No Final Grades Just Summer Homework

Post by sinus007 Tue May 29, 2018 6:12 pm

Dboss,
Nice summary.
You covered all the players. Obviously we don't know who's going to be #27 so, we don't count him.
But one guy you haven't covered and I can't blame you, is Brad Stevens. The only thing I can say about him and, I have suspicion he'd agree, he has some room to grow.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue May 29, 2018 9:56 pm

Don't forget Jabari Bird. He may very well contribute in the upcoming season, and on the cheap.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue May 29, 2018 11:34 pm

worcester wrote:Don't forget Jabari Bird. He may very well contribute in the upcoming season, and on the cheap.

I think if Larkin moves on, and a guard is not drafted, Bird stands a chance of earning minutes. Given what Boston needs to spend elsewhere, the price is right as you point out.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Wed May 30, 2018 4:15 am

dboss wrote:I think Danny has put together a fantastic team.  Every year after the season is over we generally discuss a lot of things including potential trades, draft picks and contracts.  We also discuss player improvement so here is my attempt to share with you some of my observations about some of the players on this team.  

Al Horford has no upside.  He just needs to  work on his stamina.  It is hard to find fault with what he brings to the table.  He remains a perfect fit for this team.

Kyrie Irving will be fired up to get back in  there and prove he remains our ultimate go-to guy.  I would like to see him become a better play-maker because he now has multiple scorers on this team that can make shots.  He just needs to work on knowing when to take over and when to be more of a distributor.  He tends to take difficult shots when a simpler option may be available.  Not a lot to criticize here. He is our A1 player.

Gordon Hayward probably has the toughest task of any Celtics in front of him.  He needs to get that ankle right and he should ease himself back into the mix.  There is no need for him to try and do too much.  We have other guys that can help this team win.

Jaylen Brown improved over the previous year but still needs to work on the same skills he worked on last summer.  Work on the handle, free throw shooting, 3 point shooting and shooting mid-range.  During this playoffs the Cavs figure him out when he tried to drive the ball. Jaylen has a tendency to hang in the air when going for layups and that just gives the defense time to recover and challenge his shots. Jaylen will need to become less predictable on offense and he still needs to slow down a bit as he tends to hurry things.  He had a great second year for the Celtics and I expect him to be even better next season.

In my mind Jason Tatum was the rookie of the year because of his multi-faceted skill set.  His main focus must be on adding strength.  Too many balls knocked out of his hand on drives to the hoop and defensive low post  strength is needed to better hold his position.  This kid greatly exceeded any expectations that I had.  He also needs to work on that handle and watch plenty of film to help him be a better read defender and be able to not get caught looking.  I love his game.

Terry Rozier needs to continue to work on his shooting mechanics.  In game 7 he was drifting to the left on most of those 3 point attempts. During the year poor shooting nights often reflected bad mechanics.  He also needs to learn how to use his body to create contact on those drives to the hoop.  He avoids contact now and that gives the defender an edge.  Overall he had a great year and completely accepted the responsibility of starting in place of Irving.

I have all but given up hope that Marcus will ever be a reliable 3 point shooter.  The biggest thing he needs to work on is his decision making and also his free throw shooting.

Semi  needs to improve in all areas.  He needs to consistently knock down shots from the corner.  He needs to work on his free throw shooting, midrange shots and his handle but most importantly he really need to learn how to use that fantastic body to become a force on the glass.  He just does not bang enough in the post.  He should spend time with Marcus Smart and get some pointers on how to use his body.  Mostly positional issues.

Yabusele has no handle.   He also needs to work on his entire game.

Theis needs to work on his 3 point shooting.  He also can use a better handle.

Now that Baynes has shown the ability to make three point shots he shoot practice tons of them during the summer.  On the defensive side of the ball he could become better at closeouts when defending the pick and roll.

Morris needs to stop falling down every time he takes a shot.  He also needs to work on his decision making as he tends to push forward with trying to put a square peg in a round hole.  The Celtics need veteran leadership from him.

Shane Larkin needs to grow 4 inches over the summer. lol We did miss him toward the end of the playoff run.  

The rest of the G-leaguers just need to work on all aspects of their games
I seldom agree with , literally , everything written in a post, but in this case I do.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down