Who Will Be This Year's Breakout Player(s) For The Celtics?

+11
swish
NYCelt
mrkleen09
TheHat
dboss
gyso
jrleftfoot
cowens/oldschool
bobc33
kdp59
bobheckler
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who Will Have A Breakout Season For The Celtics?

Who Will Be This Year's Breakout Player(s) For The Celtics? Vote_lcap0%Who Will Be This Year's Breakout Player(s) For The Celtics? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Who Will Be This Year's Breakout Player(s) For The Celtics? Vote_lcap13%Who Will Be This Year's Breakout Player(s) For The Celtics? Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 3 ]
Who Will Be This Year's Breakout Player(s) For The Celtics? Vote_lcap0%Who Will Be This Year's Breakout Player(s) For The Celtics? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Who Will Be This Year's Breakout Player(s) For The Celtics? Vote_lcap9%Who Will Be This Year's Breakout Player(s) For The Celtics? Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 2 ]
Who Will Be This Year's Breakout Player(s) For The Celtics? Vote_lcap13%Who Will Be This Year's Breakout Player(s) For The Celtics? Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 3 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
Who Will Be This Year's Breakout Player(s) For The Celtics? Vote_lcap4%Who Will Be This Year's Breakout Player(s) For The Celtics? Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
Who Will Be This Year's Breakout Player(s) For The Celtics? Vote_lcap22%Who Will Be This Year's Breakout Player(s) For The Celtics? Vote_rcap 22% 
[ 5 ]
Who Will Be This Year's Breakout Player(s) For The Celtics? Vote_lcap17%Who Will Be This Year's Breakout Player(s) For The Celtics? Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 4 ]
Who Will Be This Year's Breakout Player(s) For The Celtics? Vote_lcap4%Who Will Be This Year's Breakout Player(s) For The Celtics? Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 3 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 23

Who Will Be This Year's Breakout Player(s) For The Celtics? Empty Who Will Be This Year's Breakout Player(s) For The Celtics?

Post by bobheckler Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:13 am

Every year, on almost every team, there is at least one player that has a breakout season, sometimes more than one.   A player, or players, that pops snaps people's heads up and makes them pay attention because it wasn't expected.

Who do you think it will be for Brad Stevens' Celtics?

Multiple choices are allowed, if you think you see more than just one.  Add your comments as to who you are selecting and why.  Vote cancellation and re-voting is allowed, but write a post about the change.

(Don't overlook the impacts of being in the final year of their contract OR feeling fat, dumb and happy because they have a new one).

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Who Will Be This Year's Breakout Player(s) For The Celtics? Empty Re: Who Will Be This Year's Breakout Player(s) For The Celtics?

Post by kdp59 Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:50 am

none

breakout season to me means, a player that played well above what anyone expected.

I think our top 8 players are all who they are and are known commodities around the NBA now.

barring injury, there simply are no minutes for a breakout player this season.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Who Will Be This Year's Breakout Player(s) For The Celtics? Empty Re: Who Will Be This Year's Breakout Player(s) For The Celtics?

Post by bobc33 Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:02 am

What kdp says makes sense.

I voted for Baynes and Theis though, I think Baynes developing his three point shot and Theis having more confidence in taking and making threes will make them both more valuable by stretching the floor. All towards having five players on the floor who can make threes. Brad will be drooling!

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:28 am

I voted for 2 J’s, obviously they are gifted players with great work ethic. I remember a few years ago, hoops pundits were raving how great they were and who was better Wiggins or Jabari Parker? Who would think in a couple years we would have 2 dynamic wings on the same team better than both of them?

I also voted for Robert Williams as he has sick athleticism that can only add to our defense, obviously excited to see how he assimilates under Brad.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:44 am

I voted for Jabari Bird because I  figured no one else would. bounce Basketball jocolor
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:12 pm

jrleftfoot wrote:I voted for Jabari Bird because I  figured no one else would. bounce Basketball jocolor

I like Jabari, he kind of reminds me of and moves like Latrell Spreewell, another 6’6” type wing with athleticism to spare....Danny has even been hitting on his later picks.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:37 pm

bobc33 wrote:What kdp says makes sense.

I voted for Baynes and Theis though, I think Baynes developing his three point shot and Theis having more confidence in taking and making threes will make them both more valuable by stretching the floor.  All towards having five players on the floor who can make threes.  Brad will be drooling!

Bob,

I agree with you on Theis.  No one is expecting much from him except for him to stay on the same advancement track.  I expect that he will come into this season with great confidence and double his points, rebounds, blocked shots and maybe a couple of other stats (per game) with increased minutes each game.  That would be a breakout season, IMO.

Baynes' minutes probably won't increase, due to the increase in minutes that Theis will get.

Robert Williams only breakout lessen learned will be how to break out the meat from the shell of a lobster.  He could get ROY for the G-League Red Claws, but that's about all I expect from him.  We'll see more in pre-season, after which we will all have a better understanding of his NBA talent and limitations.  I'll make a poll about our expectations about RW after we all get a look at him.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:43 pm

We witnessed 3 players that had breakout seasons last year (Brown, Tatum and Rozier)

Yabu was a disappointment as was semi (because he just could not make shots)

Theis at 26 is a veteran player and he has little to no upside. Maybe he becomes a better shooter from range and becomes something other than a straight line driver.

Okay so I choose Williams and then Bird.

Williams is the most athletic big man that Boston has drafted since Bill Russell. I can see him getting minutes with the second unit alongside Theis. I can also see him get some minutes beside Al Horford. If he rebounds and defends based on his profile and college results he could be the breakout player for Boston.

Bird did not get enough minutes to breakout last year. He is the only SG on this team other than Jaylen Brown and as a result he could get some quality minutes. He could have a breakout season if he gets minutes.

IMO Williams is the most intriguing player in terms of not knowing if he is ready to contribute this year.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHat Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:58 pm

Introducing myself. Matthew, known as "Mat the Hat" at the tennis courts. I've been reading this chat since BDC was closed down. I actually registered a year or two ago, but forgot how to get in. Finally I just decided to create a new login, TheHat. Anyway, thanks to all of you for keeping me up on Celtics news and thinking, I'm always hoping to run into tidbits, and samcelt is the best place for all of it. I moved to Boston area in 1967, and have been a Celtics fan long enough to have seen player-coach Russell, and the surprise 1969 victory. It's good to be back on top, after some sparse years in the 90's and beyond.

TheHat

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHat Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:05 pm

Oh, and about my vote: I also went for Williams and Bird.  I hope Williams has the defense down enough to get minutes, I'd enjoy seeing his long arms (along with many other's) getting in the way o the opponents.  Some leaping swats will be fun to see.  Dboss says Bird's the SG behind Jaylen, though I see a lot of players in the backcourt, who will get time at that position, so I don't know if Bird will get to play.  But he impressed me in summer league, operating with grace and confidence under the bucket.  And he LEAPS.  I also think the regulars are too good already to break out, unless Marcus starts shooting a high percentage.

Last edited by TheHat on Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pronoun used before introducing person)

TheHat

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:16 pm

TheHat wrote:Oh, and about my vote: I also went for Williams and Bird.  I hope Williams has the defense down enough to get minutes, I'd enjoy seeing his long arms (along with many other's) getting in the way o the opponents.  Some leaping swats will be fun to see.  Dboss says Bird's the SG behind Jaylen, though I see a lot of players in the backcourt, who will get time at that position, so I don't know if Bird will get to play.  But he impressed me in summer league, operating with grace and confidence under the bucket.  And he LEAPS.  I also think the regulars are too good already to break out, unless Marcus starts shooting a high percentage.

TheHat

We are very happy that you have joined this forum. I think you will find a great family of Celtics fans.

Welcome!
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:02 pm

Welcome TheHat! Basketball Basketball

Good to have you on board and look forward to hearing more from another longtime Celtics fan.

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:06 pm

Brad Wanamaker not BRIAN
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:47 pm

TheHat wrote:Introducing myself.  Matthew, known as "Mat the Hat" at the tennis courts.  I've been reading this chat since BDC was closed down.  I actually registered a year or two ago, but forgot how to get in.  Finally I just decided to create a new login, TheHat.  Anyway, thanks to all of you for keeping me up on Celtics news and thinking, I'm always hoping to run into tidbits, and samcelt is the best place for all of it.  I moved to Boston area in 1967, and have been a Celtics fan long enough to have seen player-coach Russell, and the surprise 1969 victory.  It's good to be back on top, after some sparse years in the 90's and beyond.

TheHat,

Welcome!

We hope you will share your thoughts often!

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:54 pm

By definition, can a rookie have a breakout season?

Yes or no, I vote Robert Williams.

I think what he displayed at the NCAA level translates into him being a defensive spark plug in the front-court. Boards and blocks at a consistent rate, coming right up.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:12 am

TheHat wrote:Introducing myself.  Matthew, known as "Mat the Hat" at the tennis courts.  I've been reading this chat since BDC was closed down.  I actually registered a year or two ago, but forgot how to get in.  Finally I just decided to create a new login, TheHat.  Anyway, thanks to all of you for keeping me up on Celtics news and thinking, I'm always hoping to run into tidbits, and samcelt is the best place for all of it.  I moved to Boston area in 1967, and have been a Celtics fan long enough to have seen player-coach Russell, and the surprise 1969 victory.  It's good to be back on top, after some sparse years in the 90's and beyond.

Welcome Matt the Hat!!  Be convivial and post often!  We don't bite (ok, sometimes Cowens does, but he's a pussycat in real life.  I know.  Trust me.)

I hadn't read that Bird is behind Jaylen on the depth chart at SG.  Maybe that's because Smart can't shoot (ouch!).  If you could provide the source of that statement it would make for very interesting discussion fodder indeed.  A late 2nd rounder who spent almost all of last year in Maine on a two-way contract becoming #2 on the depth chart behind a budding star?  Unless he is a complete El Busto, which I doubt he will be, that is a great story.

bob

Last edited by bobheckler on Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:27 am

Matt the Hat - Brings back memories of "Harry the Hat" Walker - major league baseball player of the 1940's. Be sure to chime in with your thoughts of those early years.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHat Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:30 am

bobh, that was dboss who originated the #2 SG for Bird idea.  The most official source.
swish, as far as ancient memories, I have very little.  The one time I said Havlichek was low percentage shooter, people jumped on me (BDC days).
But I'll be around.  Most curious to see what RWill turns into.

TheHat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:03 am

TheHat wrote:bobh, that was dboss who originated the #2 SG for Bird idea.  The most official source.
swish, as far as ancient memories, I have very little.  The one time I said Havlichek was low percentage shooter, people jumped on me (BDC days).
But I'll be around.  Most curious to see what RWill turns into.

Hat,

Most of the posters at BDC were over-testosteroned, low BB IQ yahoos.  That's why we fled to this safe harbor.

And Hondo was a career 43.9% FG shooter.  Not so great, which doesn't address all the other things he did in the court not out his FG% into perspective with comparable players of his era.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:23 am

Welcome, Matt --- or is that too devilish a pun?

Re Hondo, he played so well over such a long period, but the #1 thing anyone remembers about him is that he broke the 8th commandment: Thou shalt not steal.

"Havlicek steals the ball!"

He will have to answer to his Heavenly Father for that, Who fortunately is obviously a Celtics fan.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:09 am

Just remember, for years, John Havlicek was all we had. He carried teams and was forced to take shots that I am sure he would have loved to take back!! This is from the leader of the John Havlicek fan club along with Beat. He was my fav from the day he put on the green. What a terrific player he was to watch, he never stopped moving. I will forever put him in my top 5 greatest Celtics.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:14 pm

Me too Rosalie.

Little known facts about John:
He had a tryout at wide receiver with the Cleveland Browns.
He considered himself in basketball shape when his resting heart rate was 40 bpm.
His daughter was a star basketball and lacrosse player, leading her U VA team to a NCCA Division 1 championship in lacrosse in 1993.

http://www.johnhavlicekbasketball.com/family/jill-havlicek-buchanan/

Last edited by worcester on Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:34 pm

I just gave Semi a vote. I have no idea how he will do this season or if he will even get any minutes. But he got some important minutes last season and showed signs of becoming more of an offensive threat in this year's summer league. He might sit all season or he might get traded. But he might have a "breakout" season. We have a number of guys that are expected to have great seasons. I don't think any of them could qualify for a breakout. And I don't think Williams or Bird can qualify for a breakout season since they have yet to have any seasons at all. Theis, Yabusele, and Semi seem like the only ones who can qualify. Theis is a strong candidate and has gotten votes. Yabusele has yet to show us much. I think Semi deserved a vote.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:06 pm

I sure hope he gets minutes but Theis could be an integral part of this team. I remember the excitement most felt when watching Theis when he entered the games toward the end of the regular season. The guy is really talented. Semi proved to all that he is a piece to our puzzle that other teams would love to have. This is proving to be a strong, reliable bench. I think alot of people underestimate just how good they can be.
Semi showed what he could do offensively in the summer league, but he did that last year too. If he starts hitting his shots on a regular basis, WOW.

I am so ready for this season to come!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:07 pm

I see Semi and Morris having trouble getting playing time, plus with Baynes and Williams, if he earns it, getting time at the 5, Al and Theis could be getting minutes at the 4 and I see both of them as better contributors at the 4 than Semi and Morris. The 3 we’ve got 3 all star talents there too, our strongest position IMHO.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next