Free The Bamboo Empty Free The Bamboo

Post by bobheckler Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:12 am

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Free The Bamboo Empty Re: Free The Bamboo

Post by swish Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:54 am

No wonder that the skill level for these young studs is so high - when off season training dedication is so important. Year around devotion to basketball is the rule.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:21 pm

swish wrote:No wonder that the skill level for these young studs is so high - when off season training dedication is so important. Year around devotion to basketball is the rule.

swish

Exactly!! Was thinking the same thing myself, these young players have so many great trainers that have all the latest best training techniques, it’s just amazing how much better fitness and athletically these young guys have it. I can’t imagine how much better Wilt and Russell would have been if they had all this fitness and nutrition knowledge.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:27 pm

What a stud!
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:55 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
swish wrote:No wonder that the skill level for these young studs is so high - when off season training dedication is so important. Year around devotion to basketball is the rule.

swish

Exactly!! Was thinking the same thing myself, these young players have so many great trainers that have all the latest best training techniques, it’s just amazing how much better fitness and athletically these young guys have it. I can’t imagine how much better Wilt and Russell would have been if they had all this fitness and nutrition knowledge.

oldschool

That they didn't have all the benefits-skills of the moderns is precisely why they were so vastly inferior to the present day player. Suffice to say that they were tops during their generation when playing against like, kind and quality.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:33 pm

Well git on down Mr. Brown!
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:48 pm

Swish agreed with all this great new age stuff, they have to be better....Sams old school argument that if those old school players had same access to all the new advanced training, etc they would also be much better conditioned and skilled too makes sense. As great as this generation is, old school Larry Bird regularly toasted Jordan and Pippen no problem. I don’t see any defender today that vintage Bird, before all the injuries, couldn’t toast and he went against great athletes too.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:58 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Swish agreed with all this great new age stuff, they have to be better....Sams old school argument that if those old school players had same access to all the new advanced training, etc they would also be much better conditioned and skilled too makes sense. As great as this generation is, old school Larry Bird regularly toasted Jordan and Pippen no problem. I don’t see any defender today that vintage Bird, before all the injuries, couldn’t toast and he went against great athletes too.

oldschool

Sure - all the players of the 50's-60's would likely be better because of all the modern advancements - but do we not except the reality of how the technology of the present has rendered obsolete most of the those things that were considered the "cats meow" back in the 50's 60's. Athletes are no different.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:05 pm

You guys have finally convinced me. No longer is Bill #1 in my book. I just saw Uncle Drew and... bounce Basketball
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:21 pm

ha ha!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:19 am

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:40 am

No one can ever say this kid is not driven. He doesn't stop, and from what I have read he is enjoying life too, travelling all over. Love what this kid brings to this team
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:54 am

I’m think he’s gonna be as good or better than Tatum, will be great debating their games and strengths as the years go by....this makes up for the Len Bias-Reggie Lewis curse. How blessed are we to have 2 baby stud wings like this?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:43 am

swish wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:

swish

oldschool

That they didn't have all the benefits-skills of the moderns is precisely why they were so vastly inferior to the present day player. Suffice to say that they were tops during their generation when playing against like, kind and quality.

swish

If modern players are better than players from previous generation, I would bet the main reason is simply numbers; as the game gains popularity, the number of kids playing the game increases, and thus the odds that a gifted player picks up the game increases. Training certainly helps, but the advantage it provides is limited. I kind of agree with Cowens - players like Bird would dominate in any era. I suspect that the biggest difference between todays league and the past is not that todays stars are better than yesterdays stars, but rather that the players that make up the rest of the bench are much better. Of course it is not quite that simple because the game has changed. Shooting from distance plays a bigger role in selecting who makes it. No doubt some players from previous generations would not have that skill. Similarly, some modern players whose main skill is shooting 3's might not have made it the past if their other skills were not up to par.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:11 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:
swish wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:

swish

oldschool

swish

If modern players are better than players from previous generation, I would bet the main reason is simply numbers; as the game gains popularity, the number of kids playing the game increases, and thus the odds that a gifted player picks up the game increases. Training certainly helps, but the advantage it provides is limited. I kind of agree with Cowens - players like Bird would dominate in any era. I suspect that the biggest difference between todays league and the past is not that todays stars are better than yesterdays stars, but rather that the players that make up the rest of the bench are much better. Of course it is not quite that simple because the game has changed. Shooting from distance plays a bigger role in selecting who makes it. No doubt some players from previous generations would not have that skill. Similarly, some modern players whose main skill is shooting 3's might not have made it the past if their other skills were not up to par.

Shamrock

I'm sure that having a larger group of players to choose from is a factor in determining the quality of the players in any generation - but its just one of many. The cumulative result is that over the years the skill level has been rising steadlily. It's the reason that Bird would totally dominate the forwards that predated him in the 50's-60's, while having a harder time equaling his sucesses of the past against the modern forward.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down