One person's perspective on things.

5 posters

Go down

One person's perspective on things. Empty One person's perspective on things.

Post by Hoopdeedoo Thu May 27, 2010 7:08 pm

I was enjoying a rare day off today sleeping in and having a cup of coffee (I own and operate a small cafe that has it's challenges) and while I was reading all the crazy articles on last nights game I got a phone call from my main man (Eric)at the cafe at about 11:15. He knows not to bother me unless it is important so I figured I'd answer right away as it could be important.

Most of you were probably in the same kind of mood I was in after watching our boys get pounded and ejected and everything else that happened last night in Orlando. In short, wallowing in my own funky bad mood and angry about the GAME.

Well he was quite excited and proceeded to tell me that a car had driven and crashed right through the front door of my cafe. Fortunately, he said no one was hurt and that he had called 911 and the fire department and that I should probably cancel my plans for the day and come in.

My wife and I left home and when we got there the place smelled like burning rubber and auto fluids because the woman's accelerator got stuck as she was parking and the car burned rubber right up to the point that it hit the front counter and drove it right past my two servers and cook and narrowly missed all of them. This count weighs a ton and is 15 feet long! Not to mention the restaurant was empty because it was just after switching from the breakfast hour to lunch so thankfully no customers were hurt or even worse killed. Silver lining is that everone is ok!

I realize that this hasn't much to do with basketball. But after having to leave and take a break from the mess I came home to chill and get on the web and felt a need to share what I was thinking to you all.

Basketball is important to me. My employees, friends, family, customers and even strangers health and safety trump basketball everytime. I am not religious but whatever happened today could have been much worse and I am thankful for that. So if you are like me and sometimes get carried away with your passions like sports or music or whatever,,, Keep things in perspective.

Go Celtics,
Hoop
Hoopdeedoo
Hoopdeedoo

Back to top Go down

One person's perspective on things. Empty Re: One person's perspective on things.

Post by beat Thu May 27, 2010 7:18 pm

Hey Hoop

Ever think of having a drive thru lane?

(kidding of course) glad everybody is OK

By the way was it a Toyota?

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

One person's perspective on things. Empty Re: One person's perspective on things.

Post by Sam Thu May 27, 2010 7:18 pm

Perspective is the operative term. What a tragedy! I'm so sorry and glad at the same time for the lack of human loss.

It's ironic. On the radio this morning, I heard a woman talking about coping with breast cancer, and her bravery set in motion similar thoughts.

Thank you for sharing your story. I know it will be as meaningful to others as to me. All the best in putting the pieces back together, and I know this incident will make you treasure all the more those who could have been personally impacted.

Sam

P.S. Do you mind telling us where your café is?
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoopdeedoo Thu May 27, 2010 7:43 pm

Beat and Sam,

New meaning to drive thru ain't it?

Oh what a feeling! Toyota Solana, brand new light blue with my front window glass all over it and a couple tables and chairs underneath. She says the accelerator stuck. If you watch the channel 4 news in Jacksonville, Fl you will see it.

Sea Oats Caffe' in St. Augustine Florida. It's a little family diner that reminds me of the type I frequented growing up in Pawtucket, RI. If you want to check it out go to www.seaoatscaffe.com.

It's funny just how fast things happen and all you can do is just shake your head. My dad used to say it's not what happens to us but what we do after that makes up our character. I've had tons of calls from well wishers and folks trying to help. This is a small resort town and I'm sure rumors are rampant.

This forum by the way, transcends more than basketball to me. You folks are great basketball minds and have the human element missing from so many chat rooms. I'm hoping to meet some of you if you still plan a Florida get together. I know a good place for breakfast or lunch. Bring a shovel.

Hoop
Hoopdeedoo
Hoopdeedoo

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu May 27, 2010 8:17 pm

Hey Hoop

look at what I found!

http://www.news4jax.com/news/23697706/detail.html

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoopdeedoo Thu May 27, 2010 8:26 pm

Beat,

You the man! Can you believe the dumb comments?

By the way this is supposed to be a big weekend for us at the restaurant. I hope the inspector allows us to re-open this weekend. I'm thinking of maybe a "Toyota Crash Test Dummy Omelette" or a "Kamakazee Special" might be in order for the specials board. Any ideas for that? We do just breakfast and lunch.

Hoop
Hoopdeedoo
Hoopdeedoo

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu May 27, 2010 8:34 pm

Hoop

I think most of the comments are friggin hilarious!!

Here are a few of mine.

Scrambled eggs over the counter?
TOSSED salad.I mean really TOSSED

Is this for here or to go.

OK so the food sucks at times..............you don't have to drive thru the kitchen.

New meaning to GRILLING your food I guess.

Hoop

In all seriousness I am sooooo glad that no one, yeah even the brain deprived driver, got hurt. Things can be fixed and repaired, people not always so easily.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Thu May 27, 2010 8:36 pm

Hoop, I know where I'm eating next time I'm in Florida. I want to make your Pancake Wall of Fame, or burst trying. Huuummmm, next year's board party in Florida............?????????

One person's perspective on things. Man-dies-during-pancake-eating-competition

Hoopdeedoo wrote:Beat,

You the man! Can you believe the dumb comments?

By the way this is supposed to be a big weekend for us at the restaurant. I hope the inspector allows us to re-open this weekend. I'm thinking of maybe a "Toyota Crash Test Dummy Omelette" or a "Kamakazee Special" might be in order for the specials board. Any ideas for that? We do just breakfast and lunch.

Hoop

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoopdeedoo Thu May 27, 2010 8:48 pm

Beat,

Would you like your eggs over hard?or shall we have a toyota run over them?
Table for two? Front or Back seat?
A quart of oil with that order of pancakes? or just syrup?
Good morning, park anywhere you'd like and we'll be right there.

Bob,

Our pancake challengers go home with a permission slip to take a nap. That is, the married guys anyway.
We have bad ass home cooking bro. Monster Omelettes and Sandwiches.
I'm from New England but make some mean Biscuits & Gravy and believe it or not GRITS!

Road Trip!

Hoop
Hoopdeedoo
Hoopdeedoo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu May 27, 2010 10:27 pm

My wife is perhaps the world's greeatest grits fan. She likes them with crisp bits of bacon in them.

Well I'm glad you have a sense of humor about it. Here's hoping all the negative repercussions are out of the way.

Now I'm thinking that, rather than one grand party, we might just have a couple of informal board gatherings...one in Northern Florida at your caffe and another in the Tampa-St.Pete-Sarasota area. The big fun is meeting one another anyway.

We'll keep that idea on the front burner for next winter.

Stick with it, Hoop.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoopdeedoo Thu May 27, 2010 10:52 pm

Sam,

I like her already. Bacon makes everthing better! So does butter and whole cream - Restauranteur's best secrets.

I would love to host anytime but would also take a drive across the state. You might like a side trip here to the country's oldest city.

Beware of the drivers though.

Hoop
Hoopdeedoo
Hoopdeedoo

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu May 27, 2010 11:21 pm

Hoop,

That really does add a little perspective to things. I'm glad there were no injuries and hope you're back up and running quickly.

I hope you have a better start to your day tomorrow!

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri May 28, 2010 11:16 am

Hoop,

When we drive to Florida, we take 95 to 10 (at Jax), and it's not much of a diversion to go down to St. Augustine. I was there only once, while in the Army, in 1961 (lord, almost half a century ago). What a beautiful place. But what I remember most was driving on the beach. I remember it well because my car got hopelessly stuck in the sand, with the tide coming in. Luckily, some Good Samaritan happened by and told me about letting a lot of air out of the tires. As I recall, he also helped by pushing.

My wife's excited about seeing St.Augustine (for the first time) and the grits.

I hope you'll be operating this weekend and completely back to normal soon.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoopdeedoo Fri May 28, 2010 5:59 pm

Update,

We got cleared to reopen by the city manager and the place is boarded up with a new 36" door. We rebuilt the pony wall between the counter and the kitchen and slapped a coat of paint on it. New handmade sides saying OPEN FOR BUSINESS on the outer wall with a nice banner that says Where the Locals Eat! Still trying to get the rubber burnout marks on the floor tile near the front where she was made to stop by the debris. It might just be a conversation piece tomorrow. It's all good except....

I cant' believe I sliced my left index finger wide open while prying open a salt shaker with a pair of plyers and it broke and jammed into my hand. Sixteen stiches and a little splint. The splint (and the linocaine) are helping me type this. Geesh, when it rains it pours. This seems to happen when I have gigs. I play bass and sing for a blues/soul band called Soul Slinkee and was supposed to play this Sat and sunday at a festival. When it rains it pours.

Sam,

Please take a visit here. Beautiful city with lots of history. Visit oldcity.com for info. I'll keep the grits warm.

Beat, Bobc, Ny,

Thanks for the well wishes, It's all good.

Hoop
Hoopdeedoo
Hoopdeedoo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down